Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a small but toneful practice amp for under £150. Portability would be nice but isn't essential. Tone quality and options are the main priority, on board effects would be handy too. Any ideas?

Thanks,
You could probobly find a used line 6 spider IV 112 75w combo for under that. They are only about 180£ (converted from usd may vary a little) new. it'll have all the effects and tonal options that are all fairly decent, I know a guy that swears by his. It'll also have more headroom than other practice amps for small jamming w/friends and maybe even a drummer depending.

EDIT: here's one on eBay http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/141248741644
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Apr 9, 2014,
how loud do you need it to be?

and how portable? do you want to be able to run it on batteries, or do you just need it to be fairly easy to lift?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Fender champ 600. Cheap, clean, valve, takes pedals well... easy. it's a loud five watts too.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Used Vibro Champ XD. Roland Cube 30. No spiders ever.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
What music do you play?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
how loud do you need it to be?

and how portable? do you want to be able to run it on batteries, or do you just need it to be fairly easy to lift?

Not incredibly loud, just for private rehearsal, in fact a headphone jack would be handy. Portability is not an issue, running through mains.

Tone wise, the closest thing so far to the quality I would like is the Vibro Champ XD. As I understand it this doesnt have a headphone jack?
Quote by TYSHADOWS
You could probobly find a used line 6 spider IV 112 75w combo for under that. They are only about 180£ (converted from usd may vary a little) new. it'll have all the effects and tonal options that are all fairly decent, I know a guy that swears by his. It'll also have more headroom than other practice amps for small jamming w/friends and maybe even a drummer depending.

EDIT: here's one on eBay http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/141248741644

If I was a mod I'd Banhammer your ass to the moon.

I say take a look at the Mustang or a Roland Cube.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by charliebe2
Not incredibly loud, just for private rehearsal, in fact a headphone jack would be handy. Portability is not an issue, running through mains.

Tone wise, the closest thing so far to the quality I would like is the Vibro Champ XD. As I understand it this doesnt have a headphone jack?

dunno about the headphone jack thing, but if you can get a vibro champ for that kind of money that'd be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would also recommend a cube. They are awesome little amps. My guitar teacher(war of ages guitarist) uses one and it sounds really good. I used to own a line 6 and maybe it's just me, but I can't stand them, at least the none half tube/Bogner ones...
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic