Hey there,

I am a beginner and in the market for an amp. Sounds easy enough but there is so many choices out there and I am bit overwhelmed/indecisive. I have listened to a few and they all sound decent to me. I like to play rock (classic, hard), a bit of blues and occasionally some heavy things. Playing I use loosely...
I currently have a epiphone les paul standard and would eventually like to get a 2nd guitar (esp, strat, jackson, i dunno). I would like to keep the amp as cheap as possible but my budget at the top end is 700 canadian. The used market I am not really into due to my location. I have no aspirations to gig and just play in my basement as I use the guitar for stress relief. Weight, looks, etc I don't really care as I am looking for something that will last. I do have a pandora mini which I tap into when my kid sleeps.

I have looked at amps like:

Line6 amplifi
Fender Mustang 3
Yamaha THR10
Peavey Vypyr VIP 3
Orange Tiny Terror/Orange Dark Terror (with a cabinet out of my price range)
Fender Blues Jr III

Would anyone have any suggestions and help me solve my indecisiveness?

Thanks!
Last edited by revernd80 at Apr 9, 2014,
Name 3-4 bands that you consider influences in your playing or you want to get close to their sound. It's a big wide amp world and this will narrow the choices some.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A Peavey Classic 30, Egnater Rebel, or a Jet City would suit you well
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Cajundaddy
Name 3-4 bands that you consider influences in your playing or you want to get close to their sound. It's a big wide amp world and this will narrow the choices some.

Some influences would be GNR, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Metallica, Stevie Ray.

Thanks
what is the top budget? sorry if you posted and i missed, it.

you seem to like general different tones. you have the US flavor as well as the Brit flavor.

on ZEP studios, didn't page use a supro? i could be remembering wrong.

SRV is a fender with a bunch of TS's.

slash is Marshall basically, IIRC he had a Marshall signature model head for a while

metallica has used anything from JCM800's to mark II+'s on earlier. i am sure they have used about everything.

so you are asking for a tall order. could you get a MKIV? MKV? that would be probably what i would do (and did. i have a MKIV).

or a vypyr tube 60 used off of GC's used site/
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
These are all rock/metal and toward the top of your budget, but I believe you get what you pay for..... You can also pull some blues off with the right guitar: peavey 6505+112, or any of the Bugera line; ie 6262, 6260, 333. I should mention these amps can get loud real fast, but all sound really, really good; of course no where near my EVH though (:
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
Quote by classicrocker01
A Peavey Classic 30, Egnater Rebel, or a Jet City would suit you well

+1 on all these. +tube vyper.

The Rebel does a pretty good job of Fenderish (bright, smooth, somewhat chimey) and Marshallish (darker, crisp growl) tones. The tube Vyper may be the way to go though just to get some different sounds to screw around with and work out your preferences.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You could try out a Jet City or Marshall DSL amp. Both kinds are well-received here.
Skip the username, call me Billy
traynor ycv maybe? heard some complaints about reliability/build quality/maintenance being a pain in the ass, but for that range of tones I'm guessing the 40 or 50 would be hard to beat at your budget new (assuming those things i mentioned don't put you off).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks all. When I get to the city next I will try and have a listen with them all and see what stands out. I really appreciate it. Came in thinking oh ya modeling solid state amp and leaving with something entirely different! Looking forward to it and eventually a shiny pedal.
Canadian. Hmmm makes me point to traynor. Dunno the prices but they are Canadian made and from what I hear, Marshally which should be perfect.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent