Hey all,

I've got an Ibanez EW20WNE-NT, which has a built in pickup and pre-amp. It's a steel string acoustic with really great tone and awesome playability. My question isn't really about the guitar itself, but about using pre-amps in general. My understanding is that going through 2 pre-amps is not something you want to do. When I'm playing with my electric guitar, my multi-fx pedal and my amp, I use the 4 cable method to avoid going through 2 pre-amps.

But with my acoustic, I'll generally go directly into my amp, no multi-fx pedal. The thing is, if I'm going acoustic -> amp, am I not going through 2 pre-amps - the guitar's and the amp's?
Does anyone here have any experience with this and know what's recommended to do here?

Quote by powerhead
My understanding is that going through 2 pre-amps is not something you want to do.
Well it depends.

Putting a pre after another usually results in the first pre overdriving the second if they are general purpose, but that doesn't really happen with guitars.
There's this thing about guitar pre's though: they change the sound of the guitar, because I yet have to find a clean guitar amp.
But that's not necessarily a bad thing, that's the reason why guitars sound that way.

To put it simply, unless your multi fx has amp modeling, run it through the input and see if you like it better, and by any means try running your acoustic directly into the amp's input, you'll get yourself an idea of what you prefer and you'll not break anything.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yeah it would.

Again, try everything and see how you like the sound best.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.