When I see the chords for a song, the chords are like, above the lyrics, but there's no strumming pattern or anything. How am I supposed to figure out how to play the song with only the names of the chords listed above the lyrics? Is there a point to it that I'm totally missing?
Quote by Juice Face
When I see the chords for a song there's no strumming pattern or anything. Is there a point to it that I'm totally missing?
Yep it's called crap music books, most likely written by your next door neighbour, trying to make a quick buck, saddly there's plenty of them around, ironically mostly found at your local guitar shops...
Quote by Juice Face
When I see the chords for a song, the chords are like, above the lyrics, but there's no strumming pattern or anything. How am I supposed to figure out how to play the song with only the names of the chords listed above the lyrics? Is there a point to it that I'm totally missing?

Nope, you can't. What I do is just try to imitate it by listening. Watching a music video can help too.
Most lead sheets for pros only have chord symbols. Strum patterns are based on the time signature and song style. Listen to the track and be able to play it like the original but don't be afraid to change it up a bit and make it your own. That's what Jimi, EVH, SRV, and Satch would do.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Just listen to the recording and figure out how they're doing it. Don't be afraid to use your interpretation.

Quote by tonibet72
Yep it's called crap music books, most likely written by your next door neighbour, trying to make a quick buck, saddly there's plenty of them around, ironically mostly found at your local guitar shops...

I guess you don't have any experience or knowledge of chord sheets. Many jazz books have the chord symbols over the melody for the musician to interpret in his own way.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Juice Face

I think the "point" that you might be missing is prior knowledge is needed to be able to do what you're asking.

You'd have to either:

1. Be familiar with rhythms and counting to ascertain the rhythm of the song

2. Have notation which includes the strumming pattern and know how to read it.

3. Listen to the song, and copy/imitate it, while determining the chord changes, and forms.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Apr 10, 2014,
Quote by aerosmithfan95
I guess you don't have any experience or knowledge of chord sheets. Many jazz books have the chord symbols over the melody for the musician to interpret in his own way.

You really seem to have it in for me atm, don't ya? never mind i'll live!
but can you please stop ya guessing! it's a little annoying...
Thanks for the responses you guys, I can see now that progress with an instrument isn't all about what you learn from what teachers or books tell you, but what you learn from yourself and your ability to learn for yourself.
Quote by tonibet72
You really seem to have it in for me atm, don't ya? never mind i'll live!
but can you please stop ya guessing! it's a little annoying...

But he was right. You do not need ANYTHING more than the chord. You don't need Up/down stroke notations, you don't need to see the rhythm like a tab would lay it out, showing the chord every single time it was played.

all you need is the chord and a MUSICIAN can fill in the rest using the song's time signature and his own feel on the rhythm. OP, if you cannot decipher when exactly to strum, just listen to the song. You'll figure it out.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Quote by Ostin
But he was right. You do not need ANYTHING more than the chord. You don't need Up/down stroke notations, you don't need to see the rhythm like a tab would lay it out, showing the chord every single time it was played.

all you need is the chord and a MUSICIAN can fill in the rest using the song's time signature and his own feel on the rhythm. OP, if you cannot decipher when exactly to strum, just listen to the song. You'll figure it out.

Yeah. I actually prefer having just the melody/lyrics and chord symbols over it. More complicated sheets are hard to read. I mean, you can listen to the song or make your own arrangement.

And yes, most jazz notes I have seen are just like this. They have a melody and chord symbols over the melody. That's all you need.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115