Hello,
I came to this forum to seek advice about buying my first real guitar and help with a few other things.
What I ideally want:
Super strat shape (ibanez, esp Ltd, schecter and the likes)
6 strings
Emg/Seymour Duncan's (I will mostly be playing rock and metal)
Something that will work well with my Marshall mg100dfx amp I got yesterday.

As for the bridge I am unsure what to go for. I have a bad experience with Floyd roses as my first (and only) guitar had problems with the bridge. I built it myself based on a vintage razor and I got the Floyd for £18 on eBay (I presume it wasn't real). This provided ample problems when it came to tuning and the e string kept popping out of the bridge no matter how tight it was.

I have had a good experience with hardtails as my brother has one that he baught from a shop and that fully works.

By budget is probably around £300. I know I can't get anything new for that price but do you think an esp m200fm would be any good? I found a nice one on Gumtree for £250.

Only problem is that my dad is worried that because its used and not from a shop if we have problems with it we can't do anything. I think its just from the experience of spending quite a bit on building one that doesn't work,
Do you guys think if its in decent condition (slight bang to the head and a small chip in the back of the body) I will have problems?

Sorry if I'm missing bits.
Any help is appreciated,
Archie
I would definitely buy used, more for your money. Within that price range I also wouldn't look at a guitar with a trem. Even on $1000+ guitars trems can sometimes be a pain(I personally love them though). I'd say for that price range, "low end" esp ltds and schecters are really good.

As for condition as long as the guitar has just minor cosmetic scratches, dents you'll be just fine. You'll end up dinging/scratching eventually.
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
I'm currently trying to sell my Ibanez GRG250dx with a Seymour Duncan SH-6n in the neck! £200!
Sorry mate, I'm not really interested. I am going to check out an esp m200fm. Would you guys say these are any good? They have emgs and a Floyd rose and the see thru read looks amazing!
I have a Schecter Omen 6 (string through body hardtail) and it's brilliant. It's $300 US brand new, so it should be right in your budget over there.

Check it out before you buy it if you go used. Solid body guitars with fixed bridges usually (I said USUALLY) won't have major issues that a good setup won't fix.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Apr 10, 2014,
a little chip etc is normal for used guitars. hopefully you have a shop near you that can do a basic setup once you get the guitar. this is highly advised.

before anyone rags on you to much the MG line of amps is looked down on here. amps don't love or hate guitars it's all in how you set the controls.
Floyd roses aren't good for beginners (too much of a headache if you don't know how to set them up properly) and if you're going to play metal you shouldn't get a Floyd rose without having another guitar because of the lots of different tunes you'll probably find in different songs. If you want a Floyd rose, remember not to go on the cheap bridges, since they usually suck. You can never go wrong with Gotoh bridges.

As a beginner who wants to play rock and metal I wouldn't recommend you a Ibanez, as it may sound awesome in your solos but it sucks when you need a heavier sound. You shouldn't stick to strat or super strat, a les Paul shape is awesome for heavier sounds as so is a Flying-V.

I personally prefer passive pickups, because most of the times active pickups just sound too unnatural. Of course that's personal taste. Just be careful with guitars that come with active pickups, because active pickups masquerade the guitar sound. A lot of Ltds are guitars with mild quality materials (wood and hardware) and active pickups, and sound awful when you change the pickups.

If I were you I'd look for a cheap guitar made of good quality wood (maple, ash, mahogany for the body and neck, and ebony or rosewood for the scale, basswood is also an easily found mild quality option), buy some good pickups of your choice (I'd go for passive Seymour Duncans, but if you want active pickups you can try Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMGs) and change the guitar pickups. It's the best benefit x cost option you have, unless you buy an used guitar (and the best used guitars are the ones that have improvements, be it pickups, bridge, etc. so you just can't go wrong).

Brands were you can't go wrong:
-Dean > Excellent but expensive
-Gibson > Usually can't give you enough power for metal and are expensive, but are made with high quality material. It may be worth if you have the money to spend on the guitar and new pickups.

Good brands:
-Jackson > If you're looking for active pickups, Jackson has the best guitars for you. Changing pickups in its guitars usually won't give you good results, of course, you probably won't need to change them. It also might be hard to find one that doesn't have a Floyd Rose.
-ESP/LTD > Have good active pickups guitars, but their passive pickups guitars aren't so good. As in Jackson's guitars, changing pickups (In case your guitar came with active pickups) is probably not a good idea.
-Ibanez > Its guitars won't give you enough power for metal, but if you're looking for a good guitar for solos, it has the bests.
-Epiphone > Good-quality made guitars (specially Les Pauls). Most of them come with active pickups so be careful if changing them.
-Washburn > Have some guitars made with good-quality material, perfect for a pickup change.

I never came across Schecters, so I can't give you information about them, what I can say is that I don't like the sound of some of the guitar players that use them. For me, they sound like a weak guitar trying to be heavy (Avenged, Black Veil Brides). But some others get an awesome sound (Disturbed, Lacuna Coil). So it's a brand worth some research.

Remember that the sound of the guitar doesn't come only from the guitar, it also depends on your pedals and amp, and most people say it depends more on your pedals and amps than on the guitar. Of course a bad quality guitar will never have a sound as good as a good quality one.
No worries man.

I don't agree with everything mp8andrade said. Ibanez can give you metal, enough people play with them! Like he also said it's to do with pedals and amp too and not just the guitar. My Ibanez is quite heavy and with a decent pickup in the bridge it would be a beast!

My favourite guitar at the moment is my charvel Desolation DS-2ST. Currently at £220, comes with 2 active pickups, not the best but easy to change, great quality. Amazing guitars for such a low price, I don't really understand how it's so cheap to be honest. Have a look at the series they are very good guitars.

100% stay away from the Floyd! It's a nightmare to live with if you only have one guitar.
I'll second that Charvel, I used to have the DX-1 desolation (need to update sig)and it sounded incredible. The build quality like paint blemishes etc. wasn't the best though.
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
Really? I have no complaints about the build quality of mine. But yeah they're amazing for the money.
Okay, thanks everyone for all the replies. They're all good food for thaught for me.
As for strings then, I really wanna be able to play lead guitar and will stick at it till I can. What strings will be best?
Quote by osamarchie
Okay, thanks everyone for all the replies. They're all good food for thaught for me.
As for strings then, I really wanna be able to play lead guitar and will stick at it till I can. What strings will be best?

usually lighter gauge strings make leads easier. don't get caught up in teh "i wanna be the lead guitar player" trap though. learn to play rhythm and lead as that makes you a guitar player (honestly rhythm is very important.
What you really need is a new amp.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I don't agree with mp8andrade said on Ibanez guitars. Any guitar can give you any tone given that it has the pickups for it. He probably played Ibanezes with milder pickups as opposed to the "heavy" sound that he expected.

Guitars with trems (should really be called "vibrato arms, but oh well) are usually a pain in the ass, especially in they're cheaper guitars. If you are in fear of using a trem for no, get a guitar with a hardtail bridge.

From what I hear, PRS SE guitars play really nice, have humbuckers, and they cost about $300 used. If you want to check out other guitars, I would suggest brands such as Schecter, Jackson, Ibanez, ad Epiphone (I love their Les Paul Standard).

Quote by osamarchie

What gauges strings are you using now? What tuning are you in? Most guitarists, whether they're "lead" or "rhythm" use 9s, 10s, or 11s in D-E standard. It all depends on what's comfortable to you.

Also, forget about being a "lead guitarist." When players solely focus on soling like a mad-man, they neglect all other elements. I've seen many guitarists who can shred like no tomorrow, yet they can't play basic open chords, hold a steady rhythm, or play anything musical. Even though you want to solo, focus on being a well-rounded guitarist.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Fisheth24
What you really need is a new amp.

+1

You really should have come here the day before yesterday, unfortunately. I know that's no help, and I'm not doing it to rub it in or anything like that, but yeah.

There are some good deals on blue label fretkings at the moment, you can normally get the HSS superstrat for around the £300 (new) on ebay from shops selling there (though obviously exactly what condition they're in is slightly up in the air, you should be covered by distance selling regulations though if it's a buy it now sale). Bit more vintage-looking (they just look like a strat more or less) and not a super modern neck profile (but more modern than vintage). if you're willing to swap pickups yourself later they'd be worth considering. assuming you want new. they have good japanese gotoh hardware etc., apart from the the pickups and electronics they're good to go (and even the pickups are reasonable, just they're not great).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 10, 2014,
Depends on what tuning you want your guitar in. For me, personally I use:
Drop D:9-46 Ernie ball
Drop C:10-52 Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom
These are a little on the "lighter" side which makes bending easier.
Drop B/A and below: Daddario 14-70 on my baritone

I've tried every string brand and for "lighter" gauges I always seem to go back to Ernie ball. Just somethin about them...
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
As usual thanks to everyone with their useful resposes.
I took a trip out to my local dawsons today and found a rather nice ibanez (it was grade B and there was a chip in the back but that didnt really bother me)
It was a GRGR121EX-BKN,
It had a hardtail bridge and some ibanez active pups, the sound quality was decent. it was only £129 and looked nice.
Can my £250> budget get me a guitar with a hardtail bridge and emg pickups?
richtone was blowing out those desolation charvels. they're more like £350, though. and i haven't tried them and have heard some iffy things about their QC.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?