just wondering...if only the bridge needs to be f spaced or both? its a fender type trem on a jackson guitar. .. thanx...
Yes.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Do they really need to be F-spaced?

Seen conflicting information.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
They don't need to be. My Cort is F spaced and has Gibson 'buckers in it, but it;s also heavily customized with an aftermarket pickguard. It just looks nicer. But if the hole is already routed for f spacing, both will be f spaced.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
get pickups with rails, they don't have any special spacing
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
get pickups with rails, they don't have any special spacing

Or these.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/group/mseries_humbucker_pickups
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by TheStig1214
They don't need to be. My Cort is F spaced and has Gibson 'buckers in it, but it;s also heavily customized with an aftermarket pickguard. It just looks nicer. But if the hole is already routed for f spacing, both will be f spaced.

The holes are the same size for regular or F-spaced pups. The only difference is the spacing of the pole pieces, the overall size of the humbucker is the same size F-spaced or not. Only the bridge needs to be F-spaced. The holes have nothing to do with it, it's all about the string spacing, and a F-spaced is to wide for the neck position.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
The holes are the same size for regular or F-spaced pups. The only difference is the spacing of the pole pieces, the overall size of the humbucker is the same size F-spaced or not. Only the bridge needs to be F-spaced. The holes have nothing to do with it, it's all about the string spacing, and a F-spaced is to wide for the neck position.

Wow, really? I was always under the impression that f spaced were a bit less wide overall. Whatever. The pole under the low E on my Cort is not under that string on either pickup because they are bother regular spaced lol.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
people have been putting humbuckers in strats long before f spaced pups were produced. For something like 30+ years.

You don't "need" it. If you already had pickups I don't think it would be worth buying new ones just because of spacing. The poles wont line up exactly but it will still work fine and tonally wont make much difference.

Humbuckers throw out a large magnetic field. I think f spaced is about 90% just to get it "cosmetically" right. When Fender starting putting Pearly Gates pickups in the strat in the 90s they didn't use f spaced
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 10, 2014,
Typically, people only have the bridge pickup with F-spacing. It doesn't matter if they are or not, though, since the pickups will still work the same.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by cheesefries
people have been putting humbuckers in strats long before f spaced pups were produced. For something like 30+ years.

You don't "need" it. If you already had pickups I don't think it would be worth buying new ones just because of spacing. The poles wont line up exactly but it will still work fine and tonally wont make much difference.

Humbuckers throw out a large magnetic field. I think f spaced is about 90% just to get it "cosmetically" right. When Fender starting putting Pearly Gates pickups in the strat in the 90s they didn't use f spaced

seems like the whole F spacing is for Fender to make more money
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by jageya
just wondering...if only the bridge needs to be f spaced or both? its a fender type trem on a jackson guitar. .. thanx...

No the neck does not need to be F spaced, I don't think they even make an F space Neck pickup.
The bridge can be either, but F spaced "looks" better with a F spaced bridge and vice versa
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What cheesefries wrote is right on. If your buying new pickups it doesnt cost anymore to get f spaced so go ahead and get them, but if you have a set or were given a set or something and they aren't f spaced don't worry about just use them.
Only the bridge.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
You want your Bridge pickup to be F Spaced (53mm) and your Neck pickup to be normal spaced (50mm) so the strings match the pole pieces on both pickups.

As it has been said, you dont "need" the F Spacing on your Briddge pickup for it to sound great, but if you have the option to have it on F Spaced and make it match the strings (and look great doing so) then why not? At the end you're paying for the pickups, at least you can choose how your guitar will look with them.
ESP LTD MH-100QM STB with Suhr SSV-N & SSH-B
Phil Pro MS-20
Vox V845 Classic Wah
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
This is Jeff Becks guitar. If it's good enough for him then ya know

but yea... if your buying new just get the ones where the poles match up so it doesn't look off.
The correct answer is that it varies on a guitar - by - guitar basis.

The string spacing on my RG520 is F spaced in both positions.

My S420 is F spaced in the bridge and regular spaced in the neck.

I've never encountered a guitar with a double locking trem that is Regular spaced in the bridge, but I'm quite sure it exists. It's all just dependent on the string spacing at the bridge.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X