Hello UGers,

I have a question: is it possible build a, let´s say, 100w amp using for instance, the preamp of a Roland Cube 20x, but more powerful speakers. I´m using this amp as an example because I really like its sound. Can anyone answer me? Any feedback is appreciated.
no, the 20X is a 20W amp. the preamp and the power amp of the cube is on I believe 3 pcb and the power amp is one big assed IC with likely no 100W direct replacement. if you put more efficient speakers than what the amp already has then sure it will sound slightly louder, but it wont be 100W.

If you take the preamp from any amplifier and place it directly to 100W speakers, this wont make the amp a 100W amp. You need a 100W+ poweramp to get 100W of sound.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
The answer is Yes, Probably You Can.

At a guess, the "Recording Output" will allow you to run out to a powered speaker or a power amp plus speaker cabinet of nearly any size. You don't even have to disassemble the Roland.

An example might be the Carvin PM-15A (15" LF driver, 1.5" HF Driver, 400W RMS internal amp), which can also be used as on its side as a 60 degree tilted floor monitor or pole mounted. You'd simply use the input that accommodates an iPod. Runs about $299

Last edited by dspellman at Apr 11, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
The answer is Yes, Probably You Can.

At a guess, the "Recording Output" will allow you to run out to a powered speaker or a power amp plus speaker cabinet of nearly any size. You don't even have to disassemble the Roland.

An example might be the Carvin PM-15A (15" LF driver, 1.5" HF Driver, 400W RMS internal amp), which can also be used as on its side as a 60 degree tilted floor monitor or pole mounted. You'd simply use the input that accommodates an iPod. Runs about $299

I see your point, and that´s really good, because I really enjoy Roland`s four distortions, with only those effects. But what if I bought a cabinet speaker and used the Cube as the "head"?
Quote by Mr RafaelD
I see your point, and that´s really good, because I really enjoy Roland`s four distortions, with only those effects. But what if I bought a cabinet speaker and used the Cube as the "head"?

Then you could just buy a good amp

I get you like the cube, and it is a good practice amp. But it falls short on so many levels as a gigging amp. get a real amp and you'll be much happier
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Then you could just buy a good amp

I get you like the cube, and it is a good practice amp. But it falls short on so many levels as a gigging amp. get a real amp and you'll be much happier

Oh, that´s not a problem, recently I have used a Special Edition Fender Frontman, with 75w, and it´s serving my purposes very well, it brings the pups alive, but damn, couldn`t Roland produce that amp as a bigger model, without any effects, except the distortions?
Quote by Mr RafaelD
Oh, that´s not a problem, recently I have used a Special Edition Fender Frontman, with 75w, and it´s serving my purposes very well, it brings the pups alive, but damn, couldn`t Roland produce that amp as a bigger model, without any effects, except the distortions?

They have the Cube 80xl

But like I said it is a practice amp and nothing else. get a good amp and you'll understand and wonder how you ever played on all the other crap in your life.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate