I have a fret that seems to be a bit too high (15th fret) which deadens frets 9-14 behind it. What is your recommendation for fixing this? Light sandpaper and slowly sand it down till it is the right height?

Thanks for any and all help.
Higher action.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
If you have a high fret you must file it down to be in line with the others. Don't try to use sandpaper you will mess it up, a file will take it down in a few seconds.
see if the fret moves when you push down on it. if so, try the hammer and use a piece of wood as a caul. if that does not work, use some sand paper like 800 grit. since you are trying to get it to the height of the other frets, don't use a file since if you make it too low, you have to then level all of the frets. you want it right, not fast.
Quote by Rusty_Chisel
see if the fret moves when you push down on it. if so, try the hammer and use a piece of wood as a caul. if that does not work, use some sand paper like 800 grit. since you are trying to get it to the height of the other frets, don't use a file since if you make it too low, you have to then level all of the frets. you want it right, not fast.

Why will a file make it to low.
Quote by paul w1
Why will a file make it to low.

Because of this :
Quote by paul w1
If you have a high fret you must file it down to be in line with the others. Don't try to use sandpaper you will mess it up, a file will take it down in a few seconds.

Files generally remove material faster than abrasive paper.
If you aren't careful, one pass to many is all it takes.

But I myself would use a file.
Get a fret rocker tool to help tell how high the fret is, and to tell when it's level with the rest of the frets. Then use a fret crowning file and dressing tool to get the fret down to the proper height. A radiused sanding block can help level the rest of the frets to match also. You tube has tutorials. Check the neck relief also, too much can cause problems on higher frets, too little can make good frets go bad. Good Luck.
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Apr 12, 2014,
Yeah there's more to this than just getting the file and going to work. The fret may be OK, and you will stuff it by going straight to file.

You don't mention if this has just started happening or if its been a problem since you got the guitar. Is the relief insufficient, did you do a string change, possibly to a different gauge, or if you've had unusually warm or cold weather where you live, etc etc.

Before going straight to fret levelling, you need to remove the strings and adjust the neck relieve so it is perfectly flat. Only then do you get the rocker tool out and check for the high fret.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100