Recently saw the Guthrie Govan Rig Rundown on Youtube and he was playing his new Charvel. I instantly got GAS, really badly. It has that great rock sound when you use a bit of dirt but the cleans are what got me. He rolled down the tone knob and it didn't get muddy or dull, it just...smoothed out. Its a sound i've never gotten out of a Strat or my Mira.

I went around looking for one and couldn't find it on Musician's friend and apparently, Long and Mcquade doesn't carry the brand. I ended up going on the Charvel website and holy crap its almost $5000!!!!!!

My dreams are officially crushed

If you guys wanna see the video its here
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Looks like you need a partscaster in your life, my friend. Make your own custom.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
5000 LIST.

Still gonna be expensive as hell, but more like 3 grand than 5.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
5000 LIST.

Still gonna be expensive as hell, but more like 3 grand than 5.

Charvel are still pretty rare in shops; just found one in the uk that works out to about $4000...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Since that is a Custom Shop model you are probably going to be looking at $2,500-$3,000 USD. Not cheap, but not the $5,000 MSRP.

The good news is that you can build a parts guitar from Warmoth or USA Custom for about half of that and get a guitar that is just as good if not better. It won't be what Guthrie plays, and it won't have Charvel on the headstock, but you can easily build it with the same tonewoods, parts and electronics no problem.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
and get a guitar that is just as good if not better

Unless you're a luthier... I doubt that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by utmbarto
but the cleans are what got me. He rolled down the tone knob and it didn't get muddy or dull, it just...smoothed out. Its a sound i've never gotten out of a Strat or my Mira.

treble bleed cap on the volume knob

doesn't the mira already have one?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
£2489 Uk,That's $4185.34 USD.Think i'd rather go for a US PRS,Thinking of getting one this year.
Quote by Dave_Mc
treble bleed cap on the volume knob

doesn't the mira already have one?

It doesn't sound the same. If you listen to Guthrie it's more of a smooth sound. My Mira can't really do that.

To be honest I was hoping for maybe around $1000 USD. There's a lot of smaller shops in Ontario that sell Charvel but not Fender and those models seem to range from $300-$700 almost max.

I would definitely go the Warmoth way but I'm too cheap. As much as I love some guitars, I can justify spending that much.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
You need to keep in mind the rest of Guthrie's setup, that helps to keep everything nice and sparkly.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ yeah. or he might have a different value cap on the volume knob, or a slightly more involved treble bleed circuit.

odds are there's no magic involved. odds are it's basic electronics which will cost maybe £5. as long as you can work out exactly what's going on.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?