HI can anyone here please help me with an 8 note diminished chord pattern I can sweep to?

For e.g. if I were to sweep to F# dinimished what are the patterns I can sweep to with 8 notes?

I started off with a G Major 6 string chord sweep G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim and Octave G.

But when it comes to F#dim i'm totally clueless.
Thank you macashmack, but are there more mortal ways of sweeping a diminish chord like a major and minor chord? I am a beginner guitarist.
How much of a beginner are you? How long ago did you start playing guitar, and what can you currently play on guitar? (I'm asking so I can taylor the advice to you more specifically).
I started learning the guitar 2013 christmas and I'm really very new. I can't really make up solos from the back of my head yet.

I've just started learning C major scales and all its modes and I watched on tube someone sweeping all the 6 string chords of the C major scale and when I tried, I'm totally loss when it comes to the F# diminished

I just want a complete 6 string chord scale that I can just practice sweeping to and I'm only short of one which is the F#diminished
Might I suggest, TS, since you're so new...that you try starting out with 4 string sweeps? Or have you already mastered 4- and 5-string sweeps? (And by mastered, I mean...can you play a 4- or 5-string sweeping pattern with your guitar on clean and have all the notes ring out properly?)

Another question: why are you focusing on modes? At your level of learning, I would just ignore modes. There's a LOT of misinformation when it comes to modes (and most of it seems to have made its way onto Youtube, unfortunately). You should focus on learning everything suggested in this sticky before you focus on modes. You need a thorough understanding of tonal concepts before you can move onto modal concepts. Make sense?
Okay, I'm going to give you some advice that you may not like to hear, but it is the truth and if you follow it you WILL become a great guitarist in a few years.

That's lesson number one: This is a skill that takes YEARS to cultivate. You can not expect to be an advanced guitarist until, I would say, at least three years from now. That's assuming you actually put in the proper practice and work. This leads to lesson number two:

Practice and work. There are going to be things that you simply need to practice in order to become better that you may not find the most fun. This is a test to see if you are truly in love with the instrument. There are going to be weeks, months even, where you will be putting in a LOT of practice and there won't be that much to show for it. Granted, this happens down the road from here. You can expect to be making very large leaps of ability for the first year you play if you practice consistently and organized, but then there are going to be times were you will be putting in a lot of work and you won't feel like you are growing that much. In the words of Vai; "The better you get, the harder it is to get better, but the better you get, the better it gets!"

Lesson three (this is the big one): For now, forget about sweeps completely. You do not have the musical understanding to be able to pull them off tastefully in an artistic setting. What this means is, if you spend the next sixth months practicing those sweeps, and you can play them so clean and fast, big whoop, you will NOT be able to use them in a manner that is interesting or even enjoyable to listen to as you will NOT have the foundation that is required to successfully utilize advanced techniques like sweeping.

You have been playing for three months. Right now, your focus should be almost completely on the rhythm (chords) aspect of guitar. Guitar is a polyphonic instrument. It's made to play chords. This is a rut a lot of guitarists fall into; They can solo pretty well, but they can't play a chord or keep a rhythm/groove to save their life. You know what they are called? Amateurs.

Take a 4 minute song. If it has a solo, the solo may last for, say, 30 seconds. What are you going to do for that other three and a half minutes? Stand around holding your dick? No, I'll tell you what you'll be doing; You WON'T be playing with any band worth a damn as they will have a guitarist that can play chords AND solo.

This advice may seem harsh, but that's only because I really want you to understand this so you can start building your foundation correctly so you can truly be the best guitarist that you can be.

Forget about modes. I'm not going to go into it right now, as it's a long and tedious, but as of right now, you do not understand music well enough as a whole to understand modes. They are above you at this point.

If you are truly serious about the guitar, and you are going to take my advice, tell me so and I will lay down a practice schedule for you so that you can advance quickly and learn correctly. If not, have fun being an amateur. I am all too willing to help, if you are willing to learn.
Last edited by macashmack at Apr 11, 2014,
That post is absolute money. Some of the best advice you are ever likely to hear. The only thing I'd add is this: the absolute number one difference between a guitarist that sounds bad ass, and one that just sounds ok, is how well they have the basics down (both technique and musically). So that's whereI'd spend the bulk of my time.
I agree with all posts here. I would suggest just learning some songs. Forget about the too technical stuff for now. You want to learn to play musically and that will happen only by playing music. Scales and sweep arpeggios aren't music. Yes, it's good to know them but can you do anything with the knowledge yet? I doubt it.

And you want playing the guitar to be fun. I don't find practicing sweep arpeggios and scales that entertaining (sometimes you need to do boring stuff but I would focus on it a bit later - first I would suggest learning to play musically, because only after that you benefit from more technical skills - you can't apply all this stuff to your playing unless you know how to play musically). Playing actual music is fun and the meaning of playing an instrument.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 11, 2014,
Hey Superkid thank you very much. I just got to check this thread a few minutes ago and I'm playin with the arpeggios in your link now. Thanks once again my friend!