Ok so I am looking to hopefully record some of my tasty licks BUT I have very little money so fancy interfaces are out of the question for me. I am 14 so I'm just messing around at this stage but would be wanting to put together a guitar, bass, vocals and probably VST drums.

Aside from reaper, what do I need to get started? Are the nameless "guitar link" interfaces from ebay any good or should I buy a mic and mic up my amp and then use that for vocals/acoustic guitar?

Any help greatly appreciated
Last edited by zach.paynter.9 at Apr 11, 2014,
Quote by zach.paynter.9
fancy interfaces
I don't think fancy means what you think it means.

If I'm wrong though, sorry for my presumption.

The guitar link doesn't sound good, but it's so ****in' cheap you could even not care.
For serious.
Plus it's for guitars so it doesn't really matter if it sounds good itself.

So yeah, that plus a couple amp and cab sims, say LePou stuff, would get you anywhere you needed to go if you mastered them.
It's a bit different to record and mix stuff than playing with an amp in a room but you'll get used to it, some even find it fun.

For the microphone though you'll need an interface, and you may want it to sound good.
What I did at 15 was buying a fast track pro which wasn't a good idea - don't buy a fast track.
I'd get the guitar link now and an onyx blackjack + a mic later on when you'll have the necessary money, you'll have learned stuff about mixing and you'll need to record vocals.

If you need to record vocals now get something like an AT2020USB, though mind it doesn't really sound good and waiting to have the money for something good sounding would be a hell of a good thing compared to something cheap bought 'cause it's supposed to do what you want.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Smartphone + inexpensive mic + recording app. iphone is best for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tFcUghQ3TI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogKvZr5Gw-k
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 11, 2014,
Doesn't really work good with androids.
Plus they don't really make any good interface for not-iStuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Doesn't really work good with androids.
Plus they don't really make any good interface for not-iStuff.

There are good Android choices. I just like the iphone interfaces better. When looking for "ultra-super-budget" recording solutions and you already own a smartphone, this is a great way to go. A recorder in your pocket that you can transfer the files any time to a full featured DAW.

DAW Software:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.aemobile

Android USB interfaces:
http://www.audio-evolution.com/manual/doku.php?id=usbaudiosupport
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 11, 2014,
It would work, yeah, but it'll not work nice.

The less latency I can get on a galaxy tab 3 7.0 is around 20ms, 50 on my xperia mini pro, and that isn't really convenient for recording.

The interface you posted is for connecting audio interfaces to phones, so since he's getting a proper audio interface already he might as well use it with a computer.
Plus androids don't have the drivers, so you have to have a class compliant USB interface, so who knows about the options you can choose with the software.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Even a cheapie ipod Touch 4 makes a pretty cool recording rig on a tight budget:

http://tascam.com/product/im2/

Sometimes Android is not the best solution.

An ipod touch 4 costs as much as a good interface, so I wouldn't really see why not getting the latter.

It'd be a lot more convenient too because of not having to export the single tracks and going from one device to another when recording overlapped parts.
It's not a big deal if you have to do it sometimes, but having to do it everytime...
The only reason why I'd get an iThing over a proper computer + interface setup would be field recording, but TS doesn't look like he's really into that :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Ultra-super-budget DAW for 14 yr old musicians:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/4407143987.html

Well I guess it's up to you to decide TS, we've already made our point pretty clear

just remember posting which idea won...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Presonus Audiobox is down to $120 now, including their software which has all you need to get started.

You could also get one of the cheapest guitar link interfaces, like the one sold by Behringer.

Alternately this would take care of both mic and guitar:
http://www.amazon.com/ART-Tube-Project-Series-Preamp/dp/B000G1E59U%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000G1E59U

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_9?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1397239442&sr=1-9&keywords=art+usb

Alternately you can completely forego the PC recording experience and get a cheap multitracker used, like a Boss BR or BR-80 which has a built in mic.

I think Zoom also have a small handheld portable 4 tracker that can also double up as an USB interface.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 11, 2014,
I picked up[ a Line6 Guitar Port, used on Eb@y for $20 after shipping.

Sure, they have newer models out now, but this one works decent for
getting ideas down and works with Reaper, Audacity, and all the software
i have thrown at it so far.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Thanks for all the quick replies, I'll dig around my room and see if I can find my old iPod and do something with that. But my best bet looks like one of the $5 1/4 to usb input and a usb mic. Like I said I'm not recording an EP here, I just want to get used to recording and songwriting so those should do for now.

Looks like the next thing I'm saving up for is an interface
Quote by diabolical
Presonus Audiobox is down to $120 now, including their software which has all you need to get started.

You could also get one of the cheapest guitar link interfaces, like the one sold by Behringer.

Alternately this would take care of both mic and guitar:
http://www.amazon.com/ART-Tube-Project-Series-Preamp/dp/B000G1E59U%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000G1E59U

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_9?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1397239442&sr=1-9&keywords=art+usb

Alternately you can completely forego the PC recording experience and get a cheap multitracker used, like a Boss BR or BR-80 which has a built in mic.

I think Zoom also have a small handheld portable 4 tracker that can also double up as an USB interface.

That behringer looks very tempting.... shame they don't ship to Australia
Quote by diabolical
I am sure you'll find a purveyour of fine Behringer product somewhere in your neck of the woods.
Quote by diabolical
you'll find a purveyour of fine Behringer product somewhere

Quote by diabolical
purveyour of fine Behringer product somewhere in your neck
Quote by diabolical
fine Behringer product
There's no such thing as a "fine behringer product".

Don't get the mixer, it's not what you need: it's too small of a mixer for more or less any live application, and it has a single channel audio interface built in, meaning that you couldn't use it to record separate stuff on separate tracks at the same time.
Plus the sound quality sucks.
If you want something similar on the reeeeeeeal cheap get an alesis.

Also, again, I wouldn't get a usb mic unless I needed it, and you don't.
Practice with instruments for now which don't really need audio equipment to sound he way they're supposed to, while a crappy mic will sound crappy unless you're experienced and you know how to work with stuff, which it's the condition you don't find yourself in if you wanna buy one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The guitar links are totally fine, really, they are. Also don't get up in arms about brands, Behringer has a bad rep, because people tend to compare their gear to the equipment it's mimicing, rather than against similarly priced products.
Quote by Spambot_2
There's no such thing as a "fine behringer product".

It was tongue in cheek sir

But for the price I think he'll be OK with that mixer as it will accomodate all his needs - mic and direct, plus he can even bus his DAW back into it via the RCA ins for latency free monitoring (mute recorded channel or disengage passthrough and listen to the input + the playback of the DAW).
Quote by chatterbox272
The guitar links are totally fine, really, they are. Also don't get up in arms about brands, Behringer has a bad rep, because people tend to compare their gear to the equipment it's mimicing, rather than against similarly priced products.
I agree with you, the guitar link IS perfectly fine.
As I wrote, it sounds bad but it's so cheap you don't even care, plus it's for running a guitar direct into the daw so who cares if it doesn't sound good.

Thing is, behringer's stuff is so damn cheap people think it'll do the job for the money.
They say yeah, who cares, I don't wanna spend money so I'mma buy behringer stuff which isn't the best, but it's good for the money.
For the price of a behringer compressor though you could get a 3630, for the price of a behringer reverb you could get a used or maybe even new mx200...

But I tend to judge the equipment I hear basing myself of what I think sounds good, and I yet have to find a behringer product that sounds good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
yet have to find a behringer product that sounds good.

That's cause you haven't heard the intermittent channel hiss my Euromixer produces on Channel 5. Its pure analog tone heaven

It did the job right though - nasty cheap mixer with lots of inputs that could support full band rehearsal PA with fx routing. 10+ years, but the channel problem showed up second year into ownership. I just don't use ch5 unless I need an analog effect

I honestly thing the PreSonus Audiobox USB will be perfect for him and at $120 I don't think it is a bad investment as it comes with their S1 suite which has amp modelers and some decent sounding synths to go with it. It will expand well into mic recording later. I rather have real kit than nothing but I think the mixer or the Art USB preamp will be closest to something that could support both now and possible mic upgrade later.
Hahaha ok so if Behringer is so terrible what brands should I look for? And what actually makes an interface good?

I might just keep an eye out for any used ones that come along
Last edited by zach.paynter.9 at Apr 12, 2014,
Yes. Get a Pre Sonus Audio Box. It will do everything you currently want to do. And is good enough to write a bunch of demo songs with, that you can hand to a recording studio when and if you decide to record more professional sounding material.
Behringer is not that bad AT this price range.

Mixers: Yamaha, Mackie

Used audio cards:
Presonus - be careful there as theirs are well built but a few are off tech support, including mine (FP10)
Focusrite
RME
Edirol - some of these could be had cheap
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by zach.paynter.9
That behringer looks very tempting.... shame they don't ship to Australia

Plenty of music stores here in Oz have Behringer products.
What's your budget?

Have you considered going to a studio or chipping in with someone you know?

Do you use Mac or PC?

You basically need a combination of Analogue to Digital and Digital to Analogue converters, and a preamp. These are the basic elements that make up an interface. The Apogee Duet for Mac is an amazing combination of AD/DA converters and preamps, and combined with the right Apple software and a good microphone will get you an amazing recording.
Though he'd need a mac plus the money to get a duet.

Even only the last one seems to me way more than what he'd like to spend, and I wouldn't recommend something that expensive to a beginner y' know.
Quote by diabolical
Behringer is not that bad AT this price range.
Will ya stop already?
Seriously, behringer's stuff wouldn't sound good even if they paid you to use it.
Quote by diabolical
Mixers: Yamaha, Mackie
Up for the mackie if you'll need a mixer, but right now you need an audio interface, not a mixer.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Apr 13, 2014,
All you guys/gals are missing the point. ULTRA SUPER BUDGET = BEHRINGER. OP isn't releasing something through Capitol records.
Last edited by kahleesi at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2

Up for the mackie if you'll need a mixer, but right now you need an audio interface, not a mixer.

I am referring to a USB mixer, I think they have some with built in audio interfaces.

Since you're in AU I took a look at your Ebay (wow, you guys must print money with those prices!) and found this, which will probably do. Never heard of ROLAND TRI CAPTURE USB but looks like a 2 channel with mic preamp 20AU smackers

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROLAND-TRI-CAPTURE-USB-AUDIO-INTERFACE-/271449575679?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item3f33a7d0ff
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
I am referring to a USB mixer, I think they have some with built in audio interfaces.

Since you're in AU I took a look at your Ebay (wow, you guys must print money with those prices!) and found this, which will probably do. Never heard of ROLAND TRI CAPTURE USB but looks like a 2 channel with mic preamp 20AU smackers

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROLAND-TRI-CAPTURE-USB-AUDIO-INTERFACE-/271449575679?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item3f33a7d0ff

Cheers, don't know how i missed that.

Anything music related is ridiculously expensive here, I'm trying to convince my parents to fly me over to the US just so I can go guitar shopping. For a new Schecter Hellraiser its bloody $1600 here.
Nah, theres still a 20%-100% markup on pretty much anything musical, regardless where its made. Doesn't make sense to me seeing as though the Aussie dollars pretty much 1:1 with the US.

Anyway thanks everyone nabbed that roland interface last night, cant wait till it arrives so i can start recording