Page 1 of 3
An increasing amount of people I see are becoming "straight edge". This means you must put x's in Facebook and Twitter names so now you becoming Josh x Smith or @joshxsmith. Sometimes you even get tattoo's of x's on your body and wear massive hoodies with x's on.

What is the point? I'm completely 100% with people not drinking alcohol or doing drugs or sex outside relationships, I adhere to 2 of them myself but why show it off in this "straight edge" movement. As far as I'm aware it's not a movement like alcoholics anonymous or "rehab" but showing off the fact you don't drink or do some arbitary things.

Straight edge people often seems to be quite arrogant and have it as a personality point rather than non straight edge people who just decide they don't drink alcohol and keep quiet about it.

Straight edge people please share your stories and others your experiences with straight edge people. Enlighten me please.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Why do metal guys have long greasy hair and dumb beards and wear black?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
Why do metal guys have long greasy hair and dumb beards and wear black?

bocs metal is a way of life \m/ deth 2 all but metal \m/

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
because people like to be annoying twats about their lifestyle, no matter what it is

Quote by Random3
Not taking drugs or drinking because you want to fit in with a crowd is as pathetic as taking drugs and drinking to fit in with a crowd.

yep
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Apr 11, 2014,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
bocs metal is a way of life \m/ deth 2 all but metal \m/

It's the same reason with straightedge. It's a musical scene/subculture. It's not about drugs or drinking. It's more about fitting in.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by WCPhils
because people like to be annoying twats about their lifestyle, no matter what it is

You're from America.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by WCPhils

Seriously straight edge people are as annoying as obnoxious stoners IRL.

Do drugs or don't do them, no one cares so stop yelling your views.
Quote by lolmnt
You're from America.

But it's so fun to say

(even though it doesn't work with an american accent very well)
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Apr 11, 2014,
Quote by MadClownDisease
Because it's a trend/subculture.

Is that really that complicated?

ding ding ding
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Is this thread from 4 years ago? I haven't seen any of those those HxC straight edge kids around forever.
When people are so boring they don't have a decent personality they join a sub-culture and make that their identity.
Quote by TheChaz
Is this thread from 4 years ago? I haven't seen any of those those HxC straight edge kids around forever.

Yeah, I must say this was my other thought.

Straight edge isn't a new thing. Maybe it's just becoming popular near you, TS?
Quote by MadClownDisease
Yeah, I must say this was my other thought.

Straight edge isn't a new thing. Maybe it's just becoming popular near you, TS?

I don't particularly like HxC music but I vaguely have some friends/acquaintances who do. Some of them have recently become straight x edge and it looks like a lot of people are going that way.

The most ridiculous is some 16 year old guy in this circle of people becoming straight edge despite being 2 years under the legal age of purchase of alcohol. Made the transformation from Kerrang rock to tr00 pop punk to hardcore to powerviolence grindcore within about 6 months.

I'm personally fine if people don't drink, or drink, as long as no one is obnoxiously loud about it. Alcoholism is also a bad thing but looking down on people for going out and having a good time with their friends at the pub is also a bad thing.

im a person just like u
i got better things 2 do
than sit around nd smoke dop
cus i no tht i can cope
lol @ the thought of eating ludes
lol @ the thought of sniffin glue
always gonna keep in touch
never wanna use a crutch

i got straight edge

xXx..mint..xXx

Quote by soundgarden1986
do americans really not say twat or does everyone i know do america wrong

Nope. It's kind of a weak pejorative anyway.
Quote by archangels
Seriously? Have you tried changing the clock on your computer? You might be stuck in 2003.

i was about to make a 2003 comment

anyways, straightedge is stupid, drugs are fun, and i don't believe there's a single person who wouldn't enjoy at least a few drugs (if there were no stigmas or conditioning or preconceived notions about them), considering that there are tens of thousands of them.
For some people, like my friend in high school, it was something in his life that he could control and he had people around him who would support his decision.
He had kind of a shitty home life and was diagnosed with depression so he felt out of control of his life a lot and one thing he had control over was what he did to his body.

Thats one reason. Control over your life means a lot in high school.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
generally i think that the reason they are so over the top "I'M STRAIGHT EDGE BRO" is because they feel pressure to fit in by drinking and experimenting as most every youth does. The way to combat that peer pressure is by creating your own bunch of peers with similar norms. And as with anything, everyone wants to be right and everyone wants to project that their life choices are the best. No different than Mac-heads constantly explaining how great their computer choice is or religious folk telling you how right their god is.
At the center of it all is the need to fit in, the need to be right and the need to validate ones own self worth.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by archangels
Seriously? Have you tried changing the clock on your computer? You might be stuck in 2003.

StraightEdge douches have been around since the early '80's.. In fact Minor Threat had their song "Straight Edge" in 1981.

Basically just living your life how you want to isn't enough for some people. They have to be smug and douchey about it as well.

Like vegans, for example. I know a few who keep that lifestyle and rarely mention it, but they are few and far between. Usually, it's some dick constantly going on about "being vegan" constantly.
I got over smoking weed all the time and drinking like a bastard. Sometimes I enjoy a beer or two because I love the taste but I don't get drunk anymore, and I enjoy a smoke from time to time when I see old friends. Life is not very appealing when you're shitfaced all the time. I don't identify as straight edge at all but I understand why some people get into it, I mean the real straight edges, not under 21 kids who turn into alcoholics after their 21st bday
Quote by progdude93
anyways, straightedge is stupid, drugs are fun, and i don't believe there's a single person who wouldn't enjoy at least a few drugs (if there were no stigmas or conditioning or preconceived notions about them), considering that there are tens of thousands of them.

Well if you want to go that route, I'd really like to start reminding straight-edge kids to not use Tylenol because it's a drug and drugs are bad. And even if you have a headache, you're going against your creed by using drugs to have a good time.

Quote by jugglingfreak
StraightEdge douches have been around since the early '80's.. In fact Minor Threat had their song "Straight Edge" in 1981.

Good point. 2003-ish just seems like it stood out in terms of the last big straight edge revival that I remember.

Quote by EvanBrosky
I mean the real straight edges, not under 21 kids who turn into alcoholics after their 21st bday

This is something else I want to mention. I don't hate straight-edge adults. I hate little teenagers who think they're being cool by following the rules. If you're 23 and don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, good for you! That's actually impressive, really. But if you're 16 and don't do those things, well, neither did I when I was that age. Get over it.

Hell, Rise Against is one of my favorite bands, and they're straight edge and vegan. But I don't hate them because they're musicians who happen to be those things, not straight edge vegans who also write music sometimes. I dunno, it's a very precise distinction, but it bugs me sometimes.
Last edited by archangels at Apr 11, 2014,
I used to be straight edge in 7th grade
think my youtube name was something like xxBlackWolfxx
its basically just straight people trying to be edgey by not drinking/drugging/sexing ect
pretty much the same subculture as the "5% of teens who still like real music"
this house is bitchin
There is no point because it's a straight edge!

huehuehuehuehue
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by jugglingfreak

Basically just living your life how you want to isn't enough for some people. They have to be smug and douchey about it as well.

Like vegans, for example. I know a few who keep that lifestyle and rarely mention it, but they are few and far between. Usually, it's some dick constantly going on about "being vegan" constantly.
No you're not calling Ian MacKaye a douchebag.
Quote by CaptainCanti
its basically just straight people trying to be edgey by not drinking/drugging/sexing ect

haha

Quote by CaptainCanti

If you were in 7th grade and not technically straight edge you were most likely a gigantic loser
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by CaptainCanti

I don't think you understand the sub-culture at all.
Page 1 of 3