Hi all, I'm not sure I want to get into recording at this point. Really what I'm looking to do is to be able to plug in the guitar and maybe mess around with some software on the PC and lightly tweak some sounds. Normally, I'm pretty ok with the presets, too.

I've done some reading and one way to go would seem to be something like the Focusrite 2i4 with Amplitude or Guitar Rig, etc. This would seem to be around $400, give or take the software you end up getting.

Another option would seem to be a POD HD, either the bean or the floorboard HD500? And I think you could go from the POD into your sound card and then have the sound some out the PC speakers? The software for tweaking, from what I can tell, would be free in this case? If the sound card is a bad idea, maybe just take the POD straight into some stupid monitors and use the software via USB?

Any other, possibly cheaper options I'm forgetting? I don't normally mind paying for software, but some of these amp emulation packages are pretty pricy. Again, no band or recording here. I just want to mess around with some new sounds to help me get back into playing.

Thanks in advance!
Just to mess around, a no-name guitar link plus (free) amp simulators and a daw would be ideal, to see how you like the thing and to mess around a bit.

LePou's stuff is really good for example.
Some really like Nick Crow's stuff too.
Also, I think Reaper's trial period never expires, so have a look into that too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you decided to go the POD route, you should seriously consider a Zoom G3/G5. They're full on effects units, with built in amp sims, looper and drum machine as well as a USB interface.

That means you can do silent practice through headphones, plug it straight into a set of monitors (or even just a stereo system) or use it through your PC so you could use downloaded amp sims as well.

Also, with going this route (as you aren't concerned with recording at the moment), you also have an effects unit that will be more than enough for gigging with should you decide to buy an amp in the future.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure how my question would go over. I did see a lot of questions about trying to stay cheap and then people still recommending the Focusrite or similar units. But I'm glad there might be some other options for me.

The zoom looks nice and the looper and drum machine would certainly be a nice value add. Off to watch some videos now...
wrong post on wrong thread. whoops!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I assume you're using PC? The Apogee Duet would be perfect for this if your a Mac user. If not I'd probably recommend a basic M-Audio interface.
Quote by heckofagator
Hi all, I'm not sure I want to get into recording at this point. Really what I'm looking to do is to be able to plug in the guitar and maybe mess around with some software on the PC and lightly tweak some sounds. Normally, I'm pretty ok with the presets, too.

I've done some reading and one way to go would seem to be something like the Focusrite 2i4 with Amplitude or Guitar Rig, etc. This would seem to be around $400, give or take the software you end up getting.

Another option would seem to be a POD HD, either the bean or the floorboard HD500? And I think you could go from the POD into your sound card and then have the sound some out the PC speakers? The software for tweaking, from what I can tell, would be free in this case? If the sound card is a bad idea, maybe just take the POD straight into some stupid monitors and use the software via USB?

Any other, possibly cheaper options I'm forgetting? I don't normally mind paying for software, but some of these amp emulation packages are pretty pricy. Again, no band or recording here. I just want to mess around with some new sounds to help me get back into playing.

Thanks in advance!

If you just want to test the waters first, all you need is a simple USB interface, like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which is what I use. There are cheaper and simpler interfaces out there, the only other one I've tried is the peavey x-port, and it was pretty bad, but it was only $70.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can download free trials of all those amp sims like Pod Farm, Amplitude, etc.

Yes, the POD HD can be used as an interface, although I run mine through my scarlett >_> I think they only sell the HD500X and HD PRO X new these days though. Pretty sure you can get the bean version used for like $180.