I feel dumb in asking this question, but i was asked by someone if i scoop my mid's on my amp. What does this really mean?
turning your mids down relative to your treble and bass settings. e.g. bass and treble on 8, mids on 3.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hm ok that makes sense! Thank you! Do you personally like your mids scooped then or you like them pretty prominent?
Scooping them can be good for high gain sounds a-la pre-amp distortion. Just remember not to scoop all the way...

Classic rock sounds generally keep the mids up pretty high, a lot of people like power tube distortion with prominent mids. Use your ears to decide
I have my mids boosted live and scooped at home.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
I usually have my mids pretty high, between 70 and 80% of the knob's sweep, even on amps with a pronounced midrange.
I like a punchy tone, with a lot of presence and an almost "throaty" character. Also works great for cutting through the mix in my band.
So i start by setting the mids high, and then adjust the bass and treble accordingly (by that order).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I usually have my mids pretty high, between 70 and 80% of the knob's sweep, even on amps with a pronounced midrange.
I like a punchy tone, with a lot of presence and an almost "throaty" character. Also works great for cutting through the mix in my band.
So i start by setting the mids high, and then adjust the bass and treble accordingly (by that order).

+1

Gotta love that punchy, in your face guitar tone, especially when rocking the P90's

Depending on the amp, I usually tend to keep the trebel a little lowewr to get away from the harsh high end treble. I generally find amps sound too compressed when you scoop the mids, but that's just me.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Apr 12, 2014,
A trick while EQing the amp is to play the 6th and 5th strings then adjust the bass to your liking, 4th and 3rd with the mids, and the first two with the treble.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Scooped mids is going to sound really good in your room or other small space, but your guitar will never be heard on stage if you do that. It's often the secret to a really nice high gain sound playing live. If you scoop your mids with the band your guitar will be lost in the drums and bass in the mix.

Depending on what I play (and whether it's rhythm or lead oriented, say Mastodon vs Scale the Summit respectfully) I'll keep the mids around 7 and the bass round the same, but treble around 5 for rhythm heavy stuff while the lead stuff is vice versa. Bass at 5, mids at 7, treble at 7.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Jabez'Prayer
Hm ok that makes sense! Thank you! Do you personally like your mids scooped then or you like them pretty prominent?

depends on the amp (since some amps are more middy than others) and whether i'm playing lead or rhythm.

for rhythm i'd probably have a little bit of a scoop (not much) and for lead boosted. I normally use od pedals as boosts to accomplish that, though (timmy for rhythm, tubescreamer or sd1 for lead).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
On every rig I like 4 gain settings:
-Squeaky clean, Fenderish tone
-Mid-heavy boost with just a little hair on it for blues and old school Classic Rock (Bassman tone)
-Medium-gain smooth singing tone (Mesa Mk 1)
-Hi-gain w/scooped mid for heavy stuff.

I can cover just about anything with this setup by adjusting guitar volume and tone settings. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 13, 2014,
That was very insightful! Love your input. It really shows your heart and passion for music! You guys have been very helpful! What kind of amp are you guys playing when you guys EQ in this way? I for example have a JSX. People tell me that I have the wrong amp for metal yet some tell me they love this amp. Just wondering for perhaps some ideas in different set ups to try.
Quote by Dave_Mc
depends on the amp (since some amps are more middy than others) and whether i'm playing lead or rhythm.

for rhythm i'd probably have a little bit of a scoop (not much) and for lead boosted. I normally use od pedals as boosts to accomplish that, though (timmy for rhythm, tubescreamer or sd1 for lead).

This. Two amps EQed the same way sound way different. Some amps may have lots of mids and need less mids (for example the basic way to EQ a Mesa Boogie Mark is to scoop the mids on the graphic EQ - I haven't played through the amp but everybody does this). Some amps don't have that much mids and scooping the mids will just sound horrible (well, mids at 0 sounds horrible almost always).

This is John Petrucci's amp. The channels also have their own three band EQs.

Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
This. Two amps EQed the same way sound way different. Some amps may have lots of mids and need less mids (for example the basic way to EQ a Mesa Boogie Mark is to scoop the mids on the graphic EQ - I haven't played through the amp but everybody does this). Some amps don't have that much mids and scooping the mids will just sound horrible (well, mids at 0 sounds horrible almost always).

This is John Petrucci's amp. The channels also have their own three band EQs.

This... is for the rhythm, right?
Gear:
Quote by Jabez'Prayer
That was very insightful! Love your input. It really shows your heart and passion for music! You guys have been very helpful! What kind of amp are you guys playing when you guys EQ in this way? I for example have a JSX. People tell me that I have the wrong amp for metal yet some tell me they love this amp. Just wondering for perhaps some ideas in different set ups to try.

The JSX is a very solid choice for metal - I wish I had one! I have a 6505+, which is a little more aggressive in character. I do think the jsx has sweeter leads though, and certainly better cleans. I play more rhythm though, and my amp is simply crushing at that.

I normally set my 6505's mids at 4, never higher. Even at 3 it has more mids than some amps with their mids dimes. The rule is, use your ears, not your eyes to EQ an amp. I also run a 10-band EQ pedal in the loop and cut the 500Hz slider by about 6db. I don't like the way "middle" mids make my tone sound "honky" like a wah pedal pitched forward. I instead boost the lower mids for some "thump" and then the upper mids for some additional grind and cut. So basically what I'm saying is that where you cut or boost your mids has a great effect on your tone. That's why you see Petrucci' s EQ setup the way it is - it isn't that he doesn't have mids in his tone.
That makes great sense actually. Wow....never thought about it like that!!!!! That's great! Having that extra EQ would make a world of a difference to my tone. Hm might look at that too. So the JSX like you said seems very pronounced in the mid frequency. I guess im just having a hard time in setting up my tone. Im in need of tubes so that will play a good role in it I assume right? Hahaha thanks for your time!
^^If I read your other thread correctly it sounds like you've gone a LONG time without changing your tubes -- new tubes would certainly make a big difference.

Modern power tubes only last (with optimal performance) 1-2 years depending on how often/how loud you play.

I would just get JJs all around, unless you've got the cash to get some NOS tubes. Even then, I've been very happy with my JJs. You might try a JJ 5751 in V1, or a JJ ECC 803. Just run 12ax7s everywhere else in the preamp.

I don't know what to recommend for power tubes, however. If you can run 6L6's, I'd recommend JJs there too.
the jsx should be fine for metal
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Archer250
This... is for the rhythm, right?

I don't know. But it seems to be a common thing to do with Mesa Mark amps. I have seen some other guitarists do it too. But yeah, that's just the 750 Hz slider - maybe that's an annoying frequency that the amp emphasizes. It's not all mids the amp has. It also has a three band EQ in it and Petrucci doesn't scoop his 3 band EQ mids.

But I can't tell because I haven't played through the amp.

And as KailM said, I have also heard about 6505 being a really mid-heavy amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah it has been forever hahaha 5 years hahaha and really? Well bro ima give them a try. But I hear they are good so im gunna do it. Thank u! I appreciate ur insight! Thank u so much.
You guys have been great! You have been a blessing thanks! If anything else comes to mind let me know