There's a problem that has always bugged me for as long as I could play 8th notes. How come whenever I play over the 12th fret, it sounds high pitched, shrill, screechy, and overall unpleasant (no matter which of my 4 guitars I play) yet whenever I hear a professional solo there it sounds rocking and nice. What am I do wrong?

By the way, I finger-pick because it feels natural and allows me to play faster and my accurately.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
what amp are you using?

A very common beginner mistake (i'm just assuming you're a beginner) is to crank the treble and gain full and neglect the mids and bass in particular. This gives that awful super thin high pitched lead tone we're all familiar with and we all hate. I can't think of any beginner ever who has been good at EQing. If your amp is shitty then cranking the treble and gain is going to make it sound even more unbearable.
Professionals of course have nice tones (most of them) because they've been tone chasing pretty much their whole life and in their recordings could've potentially tried out dozens and dozens of different tones with all varieties of equipment.

It's most important to know what amp you have though. Don't be that guy with a line 6 spider or a peavey vyper
The thing is that I get that high-pitched noise even without an amp. I usually like to balance my EQ (with only a slight boost on treble) and use a Marshall MG-15, Fender Bass Rumble (15 watt), and a small Randy Jackson amp (came with my electric-acoustic and is also 15 watts). Anyway I have a budget and don't have the money/income for a new amp (I also don't want this to be another "what amp flame war").
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Even without the amp.. Odd.
You say it happens with 4 guitars so i was going to say it could be an intonation problem, but that seems near impossible if it's all 4 guitars. I think it'd be in your best interest to post a short video of you playing with and without the amp on. The only thing i can think of is that it must be a technique problem, and i can't be certain without a video of you playing.
Well... Jeff Beck might be able to get sweet guitar tone out of an MG-15 but the rest of us mortals need a better amp. Wash some cars and mow some lawns and then go shopping. A Roland Cube 30 or Fender Vibro Champ XD will sound much better to your ears. It is still possible to get crappy guitar tone out of those but you have to work at it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
This happens on both electric and acoustic. Also I'd rather not share a video of me playing because I don't have decent acoustics and can't stand hearing a recording of my playing (not on camera or Audacity anyway). It probably is a technique problem but that's why I came here.

Quote by RonaldPoe
This happens on both electric and acoustic. Also I'd rather not share a video of me playing because I don't have decent acoustics and can't stand hearing a recording of my playing (not on camera or Audacity anyway). It probably is a technique problem but that's why I came here.

Well I can't really help then. No-one is going to give you shit for your playing anyways. You're in Guitar Techniques, not The Pit. We're here to help
It could possible the "attack" of the note is too hard and thus causing it to sound harsh. Though as said above, need to hear some playing, I don't judge
Okay but Don't say I didn't warn you. I also through in a demo of my own guitar solo without my amp on my Electric Acoustic (same guitar I did the demo on).

http://www.mediafire.com/?tekmr8jglqrt8

hard to tell for sure but maybe that's a bit of fretbuzz (or even a slightly high fret)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know what you mean. I think its just hard for a note that high pitched on such a thin string to sound “full". Pro's have their amps cranked way up which probably helps with that.
If I cranked my amps, I'd get complaints from my neighbors and mother. Is there a way to get it to sound decent? Also was my playing bad?

I'm on a phone so I didn't listen to the video. Using a pedal with the gain cranked helps make the notes sound better on the high frets. If you're looking for a clean sound, I'm not sure how to help with that
listened to the video it does sound a bit like some fret buzz

maybe taking your guitars to get set up(or doing it yourself) would help with you guitar playing and sounding thei best

if you still think it sounds too thin i find that using thicker strings does give you a fuller sound than using thin strings(of course you guita needs to be set up for the thick stings as well)
I can understand your problem with the electric, but with playing an acoustic the technique comes out of your fingers so the problem might just be your technique. Acoustic playing is all about how dynamic your technique is whether you're strumming hard or softly or picking some notes harder then softer it all comes from the person technique.

I agree with some of the posters about fret buzz it sounds like your guitar needs a proper setup.

Tone chasing is overrated!

Last edited by Black_devils at Apr 11, 2014,
I agree that tone chasing is pointless but I made this topic so I could play up there without shrill noise. I'm just jealous of all the lead guitarist who play past the 12th fret and sound great. Guess I'll just avoid that area.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to get suggestions on a lead guitar part I'm writing. The style is a little strange (Metal with a gothic, circus, pirate feel) and I know I'd never get a decent answer because of "We don't know what's in your head", "Use your ear", "Learn Theory already", ect.

Quote by RonaldPoe

Best way to evaluate your technique is to see it.
I would agree that it's fret buzz. If that happens on all 4 of your guitars that's pretty unbelievable though. I have 6 guitars and I've only ever had fret buzz on 1 at most.
If you pick with your fingers, the buzz may be from the fact that you picked too hard and the strings get slapped onto the fretboard.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Also agree that it sounds like fret buzz. The notes are sounding crappy as the strings are being choked out by some of the upper frets. Getting a set-up should fix it.

But I also second the notion that it is very odd that it happens on all of your guitars. Like, very odd. Video time?
Quote by wildozer

But I also second the notion that it is very odd that it happens on all of your guitars. Like, very odd. Video time?

Extremely odd. Where did you buy your guitars TS? Were they all from the same place/person? Have you ever screwed around with the hardware yourself on all 4? The chances of all 4 is just mind blowing to me. You must have tried adjusting the hardware on all of them yourself or did you buy all 4 guitars at the same time from 1 super dodgy dude who got off on selling guitars to beginners with fret buzz or something? I seriously just can't wrap my head around it.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 12, 2014,
Two guitars were bought online, one was a Squier-Strat from Music&Arts, and the last one was one was a Ibanez GIO I won at a radio contest at Guitar Center. So they weren't from the same dealer. Also maybe I should try to learn to play softer (my teacher does say I have a heavy, fierce touch to my strumming).

I also don't even know how to mod a guitar so I haven't done that. Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by RonaldPoe at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by RonaldPoe
Two guitars were bought online, one was a Squier-Strat from Music&Arts, and the last one was one was a Ibanez GIO I won at a radio contest at Guitar Center. So they weren't from the same dealer. Also maybe I should try to learn to play softer (my teacher does say I have a heavy, fierce touch to my strumming).

I also don't even know how to mod a guitar so I haven't done that. Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, if you strum with your fingers hard, it's inevitable that you're gonna get buzz unless your action is like 4mm high at the last fret.

I pick rather hard, and have no such problems. Probably because I do use a plectrum and the string vibrates horizontally instead of vertically.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
^ not necessarily if it's really badly set up or there's a high fret or lots of fretwear.

but yeah if he's picking way too hard that could be the culprit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RonaldPoe
(my teacher does say I have a heavy, fierce touch to my strumming).

Have you asked your teacher about the problem? It's his job to help you out with problems like this!

All fret buzz issues aside, I think you should get your guitars set up professionally anyway. You've got nothing to lose as it will make playing your instruments easier and more enjoyable to play. Maybe just get your favourite/best 2 guitars set up if you don't want to spend too much money.
Yeah check the tuning and make sure its dead on. From finger picking you could be making the string slap causing more fret buzz. See if it does it with a light pluck with a pick. Try holding the guitar up eye level looking past the 12th fret and see if the string is making major contact with any of the frets. Like you said though. It does it on all your guitars. So its not an equipment error. Your going to have to get outside of you comfort zone and use a pick some and practice light finger picking and plucking. Try using you own index finger in a pick position if you know what i mean.