I looked up the tab to "Come As You Are" (Nirvana) hoping that the tab would be easy for a beginner to follow. But instead, they are named, "DGCFAD". What is that? I realize they are chord names, but I don't get how they are incorporated here. Help, please?
DGCFAD is the tuning - 1 step down from EADGBE (standard tuning)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
DGCFAD is the tuning - 1 step down from EADGBE (standard tuning)

I guess this is something I can look up on youtube. Thanks, Emperor's Child! Couldn't have come at a better time!
What are any other "formats" (EADGBE, DGCFAD, etc.) are there?
The only other standard tuning i know that's below d standard (DGCFAD) is b standard which is BEADf#B which is the 6 string version of standard tuning on a 7 string :/
Quote by pointnplink
I guess this is something I can look up on youtube. Thanks, Emperor's Child! Couldn't have come at a better time!
What are any other "formats" (EADGBE, DGCFAD, etc.) are there?

It's called tunings and there are many.
DGCFAD is D standard or just D tuning, DADGBE is Drop D (you will encounter this a lot) CFA#D#GC is C standard/C tuning. Then there's C#, D# and dropped variants of those. And open tunings, more used in pop music and singer/songwriter stuff. No need to memorize those at this point, just know there are quite a few ways to tune the instrument. You still read the tab the same way but you got to tune your guitar to the given notes to play along. It's not complicated, just generally rock and metal sometimes want lower notes for a deeper sound or to make it better for the singer, so they tune down. Good luck
Last edited by fanapathy at Apr 11, 2014,