Hi all, I am looking into buying a 12 string guitar. My budget is $300-400

I've been looking Alvarez Artist Series AD60-12

and the Yamaha FG720S

Any feedback on these or other suggestions?

thanks!
I don't know anything about the Alvarez.

Yamaha in general, makes great guitars. I expect there's as much good workmanship and value here, as there seems to be in their other 7xx series offerings.

The only other two I think are worth considering, are both above your budget.

(And I do hate suggest something to somebody they can't afford).

The Seagull "Coastline S-12": www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-coastline-series-s12-dreadnought-12-string-acoustic-guitar (Probably the best choice). This guitar has a cedar top, which should do a good job of mellowing out the 12 string's brightness somewhat.

And this Fender "Tim Armstrong Hellcat 12 String: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-tim-armstrong-hellcat-12-string-acoustic-electric-guitar

This is a somewhat eccentric offering from Fender, but it might be worth a listen, given the solid mahogany top.

Here's a couple of things to consider. 12 strings are quite strident. I normally plug mine in, even my full body dreadnought Crafter 12 string. The preamp's EQ tames the treble and allows me to give it a shot of bass boost. This levels out the frequency spectrum and makes for a much mellower, but still very rich, sound when playing solo. Also, for whatever reason, 12 strings really sound spectacular when you put a chorus on them.

So, if you can possibly swing it, by a 12 with onboard electronics.

And whatever you choose, don't ever tune it above D to D standard! (It will live a whole lot longer, and be easier to play. If you have to have E to E, use a capo).

EDIT: I read the reviews on the Yamaha, which are almost all positive. I will say, of the 2 you've homed in on, the Yamaha is most likely the much better choice.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 12, 2014,
i love the seagull 12, but rather than strident, i find 12 strings to be bright and jangly. i love 'em. i hadn't seen the hellcat 12, and i have to wonder - the 6 string sounds good, but is pretty bright, so if you add more brightness on top of that... if i see one in a store (haven't so far), i'll have to check it out.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i love the seagull 12, but rather than strident, i find 12 strings to be bright and jangly. i love 'em. i hadn't seen the hellcat 12, and i have to wonder - the 6 string sounds good, but is pretty bright, so if you add more brightness on top of that... if i see one in a store (haven't so far), i'll have to check it out.

Well, after about an hour, and a twitch of out of tune, sometimes turns "bright & jangly" into strident. But, since I've been making a conscious effort to compromise, and semantics present an ideal situation for experimentation, have it your way.

But, unlike you, I hate 12 strings, which is why I own 3. (Do you see what I did there)?

I will say I use radically different EQ settings playing solo, than with playing along with a recording. You kind of have to put the high end back in to notch out a space in the mix.

One thing that the "bright & jangly" of a 12 string of a twelve masks, is a powerful, resonant bottom end. When you're noodling around on the bottom strings, it has the effect of playing the bass & melody at the same time. Which I suspect, is why they sell so many, "octave multiplier", stomp boxes for electrics.

And yeah, the Fender Tim Armstrong "Hellcat 12 String", might be all magnitudes of bright! Which is the reason i called it "eccentric", and suggested giving it a listen, and didn't come blasting in with, "you gotta buy one of these, you'll never regret it".

In any event Patti, should you ever get to try one of these out, please give me your heads up on it. (They make a lefty version, but only God knows for how long).
we only hate 12 strings enough to own 1 - you got us beat

a lefty 12 string hellcat... now THAT'S eccentric
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!