So now I have had a guitar with OFR (german made, not korean FRT-1000 or similar) for about two years, and it's starting to get dull. I was sure that all this talk about new OFRs being bad nowadays (compared to the 80s) was just snobbery talk, but now I know first hand they are of "low quality".

So, I have tried Gotoh Floyd Rose and I find it to both play, sound and work better!

But the problem is that all guitars that comes with a Gotoh Floyd is SO EXPENSIVE, which is weird... The Gotoh Floyd is HALF THE PRICE of a new OFR unit...
I dont know how that works...

Anyway, Fernandes, Suhr, Music Man and Ruokangas are about the only brands I know using these bridges, except custom made guitars ......

But now I am looking for guitars with Gotoh Floyd STOCK.

If there are no other brands using those, I definitely think some companies should use them because any cheap floyd suck, the new OFRs don't hold for too long and the Gotoh is cheap...

Help!!!
I think US Masters uses them, but they're pricey, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Suhr guitars uses them, and they are indeed very expensive instruments. I think that a lot of manufacturers steer clear of the Gotoh Floyd Rose tremolo because the mounting studs for it are much larger than those on the typical Floyd unit.

I am afraid that I do not know of any mid-priced guitars that use them as they come from the factories. If you love the Gotoh Floyd, you may have to buy a guitar and do a retro-fit.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
It's not bad retrofitting a guitar for one if the spacing is already pretty close. We did it to an old RG470.
http://darkling.poppameth.com/ibanez-rg470-project/

Basically just fill the stud holes with dowels and redrill for the larger studs.
Quote by Uncovered

But the problem is that all guitars that comes with a Gotoh Floyd is SO EXPENSIVE, which is weird... The Gotoh Floyd is HALF THE PRICE of a new OFR unit...
I dont know how that works...
If there are no other brands using those, I definitely think some companies should use them because any cheap floyd suck, the new OFRs don't hold for too long and the Gotoh is cheap...

If you were using a guitar with an "Original Floyd Rose" trem, it could have been either a Schaller-made trem or a Korean-made trem. The OFR distributed to most major brands (Gibson, Fender, etc.) over the past few years was a trem made on one of two Korean production lines. The Schaller-made OFR was mostly bubblepacked for the aftermarket and distributed to small builders.

Honestly, I haven't had issues with *any* Floyd Rose unit yet, but I do a bit of maintenance and lubrication on mine. Suhr and others switched to the Gotoh unit a few years ago, complaining of quality differences (and I think they liked the way the arm worked better). Gotoh units *were* more expensive (than they are now), in part because they were licensed. Since the expiration of the Floyd Rose patent, they need no longer pay licensing fees (nor does anyone else), and that will generally mean that either prices will go down or their profit will go up <G>.

Companies still use the OFR (actually, now it's called an FRO - Floyd Rose Original) because it's a marketing tool. It just requires too much explanation to customers regarding how "yes, this is not technically a Floyd Rose built trem, but it's actually better, and no, it's not one of the cheaper licensed units, but it was a licensed unit once and...yada yada" when they slap on the Gotoh. There may also be volume deals afoot from Floyd Rose to keep manufacturers using the original unit.

The Schaller-built unit I have on a couple of guitars is excellent. Actually the Korean OFR works very well, too.

I'd also reflect on the fact that you're currently on a honeymoon period with your Gotoh; I'd wait with the effusive recommendation until you've had it on there a few years.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by FatalGear41
Suhr guitars uses them, and they are indeed very expensive instruments. I think that a lot of manufacturers steer clear of the Gotoh Floyd Rose tremolo because the mounting studs for it are much larger than those on the typical Floyd unit.

I am afraid that I do not know of any mid-priced guitars that use them as they come from the factories. If you love the Gotoh Floyd, you may have to buy a guitar and do a retro-fit.

I don't see why bigger bushing holes would make guitar manufacturers NOT wanting to install these?

Quote by dspellman
If you were using a guitar with an "Original Floyd Rose" trem, it could have been either a Schaller-made trem or a Korean-made trem. The OFR distributed to most major brands (Gibson, Fender, etc.) over the past few years was a trem made on one of two Korean production lines. The Schaller-made OFR was mostly bubblepacked for the aftermarket and distributed to small builders.

Honestly, I haven't had issues with *any* Floyd Rose unit yet, but I do a bit of maintenance and lubrication on mine. Suhr and others switched to the Gotoh unit a few years ago, complaining of quality differences (and I think they liked the way the arm worked better). Gotoh units *were* more expensive (than they are now), in part because they were licensed. Since the expiration of the Floyd Rose patent, they need no longer pay licensing fees (nor does anyone else), and that will generally mean that either prices will go down or their profit will go up <G>.

Companies still use the OFR (actually, now it's called an FRO - Floyd Rose Original) because it's a marketing tool. It just requires too much explanation to customers regarding how "yes, this is not technically a Floyd Rose built trem, but it's actually better, and no, it's not one of the cheaper licensed units, but it was a licensed unit once and...yada yada" when they slap on the Gotoh. There may also be volume deals afoot from Floyd Rose to keep manufacturers using the original unit.

The Schaller-built unit I have on a couple of guitars is excellent. Actually the Korean OFR works very well, too.

I'd also reflect on the fact that you're currently on a honeymoon period with your Gotoh; I'd wait with the effusive recommendation until you've had it on there a few years.

Yep Schaller german made. It was a Warmoth custom build, so I got the Floyd from them. I installed it with great care and set it up nicely, so it worked perfectly from the beginning but I have looked at the knife edges after I had to remove the bridge to perform some handrouting (I only had one humbucker in bridge as original but wanted a H-H config) and then I noticed that the knife edges were worn down... And I had noticed worse stability too.

I have only had a Gotoh guitar for about a month or so, which I had to sell quickly because lack of money... I actually made that one from some old shitty superstrat from the 80s (had vintage trem and one slanted humbucker, totally 80s, but I love that!) and I put on a Gotoh Floyd (topmounted) and it worked perfectly, at least the time I had it. I'm not the wealthiest guy around, otherwise I wouldn't hestitate to buy a Fernandes superstrat. But I'm also a tinkerer who likes to mod guitars and stuff.
So it will probably be some partscaster with a Gotoh floyd, but sometimes I just think to myself that I want a really nice guitar from a factory, but it seems like it wont happen for a while

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I think US Masters uses them, but they're pricey, too.

Nope, original floyd rose. But still pretty nice prices, and REALLY nice looking guitars.
But I will hold my word... Only Gotoh from now on haha!!!
Last edited by Uncovered at Apr 12, 2014,
some of the japanese schecters have them, i think. in addition to what's already been said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
some of the japanese schecters have them, i think. in addition to what's already been said.

I googled and yes its true... Whyyyyyy only japan?!?!?!?!?!

Seems like the japanese market always gets more interesting stuff than USA and especielly europe where I live
yeah

also they're made in japan and gotoh's in japan so that probably explains it, too. funnily enough, the cheaper MIJ schecters have the (rebranded) gotoh trem while the dearer ones get OFRs. I actually probably prefer the OFR (in feel in use, I'd be the first to admit the Gotoh seems to be made with more care and tighter tolerances), but it is kind of funny how in japan the OFR is considered the more "premium" option
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Uncovered
I googled and yes its true... Whyyyyyy only japan?!?!?!?!?!

Seems like the japanese market always gets more interesting stuff than USA and especielly europe where I live

Yeah, Japan gets all the good stuff... premium-grade guitars, untranslated mangas, weird sex toys and breast-shaped chocolate...
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Earthquakes, radiation leaks...

Godzilla.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Untranslated H games...
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
I bought a Suhr modern satin since its, IMHO, Suhr's only reasonably priced guitar line, and switched the OFR for the Gotoh. The OFR dimensions are the same as the Gotoh. The Gotoh just has beefier studs.

The Gotoh is certainly fantastic. Only other floating trem I'd take is an Ibby w/ ZPS or the original/lopro edge. More companies for sure need to start using it.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
if you're switching from an OFR to a gotoh, you don't even need to switch teh studs anyway. they work fine on the existing OFR studs, and vice versa. I've made the swap.
Original Egde is made by Gotoh isn't it?

In fact I think all the good Ibanez terms were until a few years ago.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

That's what I have heard too, even tho I'm not an expert on Ibanez.

Which means, that the good high end trems should be as good as the "gotoh" floyd

However, now most Prestige guitars are equipped with that Edge Zero bridge... I have not tested it, but from what I know it's below acceptable quality, especiialy for the price.

Why doesn't Ibanez equip their Prestiges with Edge Lo-Pro Pro or Original or whatever??
Quote by Uncovered
That's what I have heard too, even tho I'm not an expert on Ibanez.

Which means, that the good high end trems should be as good as the "gotoh" floyd

However, now most Prestige guitars are equipped with that Edge Zero bridge... I have not tested it, but from what I know it's below acceptable quality, especiialy for the price.

Why doesn't Ibanez equip their Prestiges with Edge Lo-Pro Pro or Original or whatever??

People give the Edge Zero too much shit than it deserves... that said, it *is* a devolution from its predecessors. And as for your question, the answer is simple: money.
Gear:
Quote by Archer250
People give the Edge Zero too much shit than it deserves... that said, it *is* a devolution from its predecessors. And as for your question, the answer is simple: money.

Personally I think its half and half, devolution and evolution.

The way you intonate it and the ZR is a massive step for locking trems, I think. The pot metal blocks are shit for sustain though, and the bridge without the ZPS is kind of meh for stability.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Tom 1.0

yeah i think so- the edge, lo pro and edge pro were all made by gotoh, as far as i'm aware.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?