So I'm planning to buy a new amp but I'm little confused about all the amps and what I should get.

Budget: max 350€

I want to play almost any kind of music but not really any death metal. I like playing Metallica, Red hot chili peppers and Sum 41 for example.

I'm planning to buy a new amp, not used.

I'm going to use it mostly for home. At least not yet for gigs because I'm still beginner.

I have one electric guitar and that's ESP LTD-M50

At the moment I've Roland Micro cube but I want more effects and better quality amp.
I've been considering to buy some kind of modeling amp for example: http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_spider_iv_75112.htm
Last edited by kalluppi1 at Apr 12, 2014,
No, don't get a Line 6 Spider IV, they sound awful.

Get a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland Cube, preferably a model with a 12" speaker.

EDIT: Go for the Vypyr VIP 2: http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_vip_2.htm
It has a 12" speaker, 40 watts is enough power for small gigs (for big gigs you'd have to mic the amp anyway), and in case you ever want to plug in a bass or an acoustic guitar, that amp works for all 3 instrument types.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Apr 12, 2014,
I'd look at one of the smaller Jet City combos from Thomann if I were you. The JCA2212 is an all tube 2 channel 112 20 watt amp. Loud enough to jam with others, but sill quiet enough to play at home. It would cover the tones that you're looking for pretty good, especilly if you picked up a cheap OD pedal, like the bad monkey to go with it.

If you're interested, check out my profile for some tunes I recorded using the 50 watt head version of that amp.

That Vyper is also a solid option. I haven't used one myself, but they get good reviews around here.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Apr 12, 2014,
I second the jet city idea, plus a boost like the digitech bad monkey.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Linkerman
No, don't get a Line 6 Spider IV, they sound awful.

Get a Peavey Vypyr or a Roland Cube, preferably a model with a 12" speaker.

EDIT: Go for the Vypyr VIP 2: http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_vip_2.htm
It has a 12" speaker, 40 watts is enough power for small gigs (for big gigs you'd have to mic the amp anyway), and in case you ever want to plug in a bass or an acoustic guitar, that amp works for all 3 instrument types.

+1

You can also get a used Mk 1 Spider Valve amp for around that much if you're dead set on a modelling amp. I love my Spider Valve 212 and people are always surprised at the sound I get from it. No matter what, make sure you get a tube amp, not solid state. It will sound so much better.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by kalluppi1
So I'm planning to buy a new amp but I'm little confused about all the amps and what I should get.

Budget: max 350€

I want to play almost any kind of music but not really any death metal. I like playing Metallica, Red hot chili peppers and Sum 41 for example.

I'm planning to buy a new amp, not used.

I'm going to use it mostly for home. At least not yet for gigs because I'm still beginner.

I have one electric guitar and that's ESP LTD-M50

At the moment I've Roland Micro cube but I want more effects and better quality amp.
I've been considering to buy some kind of modeling amp for example: http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_spider_iv_75112.htm

My son and I went with some modeling amps when we got started a couple months ago.

We started with a Fender Mustang II and a Mustang III.

Here is the Mustang II. Straightforward and sounds fairly good.

If you go that route......spend a bit more and get the Mustang III. The controls are a breeze to understand....no small labels and multicolored lights to keep dialing around for (three versions of each preset).
Mustang III

Presets are really handy on this thing....dial up to 100 different ones (or add your own if you want with the Fender Fuse software).

I also bought him a Roland Micro-Cube for when he goes to his buddy's house or wants to play when we go on trips and he takes his guitar.

This little amp is a piece of cake to use, as you know, and offers a way to get the tone you want very swiftly. It didn't break the bank, either. If I could go back and do it all over again......I may have bought him the 40w for his room and this one for a portable amp and skipped on the Mustangs.

The Mustangs have been good amps, don't get me wrong.....but he likes the controls and ease of use of the Roland Cube.

I recently had strong desires to get a tube amp for my use. I bought a Peavey Classic 30 and am very, very happy with it. I wish they made a 5w model, though. This sucker gets loud really quick. I keep the volume at 1 when practicing. Great sounding amp and it looks like a million bucks, too. My wife even didn't mind me leaving it out in the den.

I think what I"m going to do is sell my Mustangs to a couple of buddies and get my son the larger Roland Cube for his room and then go from there.

The day will come soon, though.....where he'll be begging me for a tube amp, I'm sure.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by red.guitar
I'd look at one of the smaller Jet City combos from Thomann if I were you. The JCA2212 is an all tube 2 channel 112 20 watt amp. Loud enough to jam with others, but sill quiet enough to play at home. It would cover the tones that you're looking for pretty good, especilly if you picked up a cheap OD pedal, like the bad monkey to go with it.

If you're interested, check out my profile for some tunes I recorded using the 50 watt head version of that amp.

That Vyper is also a solid option. I haven't used one myself, but they get good reviews around here.

+1 get the Jet City, it is the best amp you will find for that price
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It seems like that Fender Mustang III is the best option for me because it doesn't require additional pedals and it has good sound quality.

Even though tube amp has better sound I can't afford all the pedals at the moment and transistor amp is cheaper. So, what do you think?

Fender Mustang III: http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mustang_iii_v2.htm
Quote by kalluppi1
It seems like that Fender Mustang III is the best option for me because it doesn't require additional pedals and it has good sound quality.

Even though tube amp has better sound I can't afford all the pedals at the moment and transistor amp is cheaper. So, what do you think?

Line 6 Spider Valve. Seriously. Tube and modelling. Get a used one for like $200 USD if you can find one. Not sure of Euro pricing. I tried the Finnish Criagslist but I can't read Finnish
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Line 6 Spider Valve. Seriously. Tube and modelling. Get a used one for like $200 USD if you can find one. Not sure of Euro pricing. I tried the Finnish Criagslist but I can't read Finnish

No finnish musician really uses Craigslist I think. Every used instrument on sale usually ends up in muusikoiden.net/tori/haku.php (a finnish musician forum) or Tori.fi (closest equivalent to craigslist). Or huuto.net, our own version of ebay.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by TheStig1214
Come on man, drop it, it's not like there's a reason why tube amps inherently sound better than transistor amps.

The fact they usually do also is true only for guitar amps 'cause guitarists want them tubes, and nobody bothers making good solid state amps these days (well randall does) because nobody will buy an expensive solid state amp.
Why?
Well because it's a solid state amp, and "solid state amps sound worse than tube amps".

Plus I've never heard anyone praising the spider valve before today, so...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Apr 12, 2014,
Hell no on the Line 6 Spider anything...

Looks to me like time for Valveking but probably used...

Modeling amps probably not going to be huge step up from the Roland cube. Only thing I can suggest maybe look at Vox VT series.
Quote by diabolical
Hell no on the Line 6 Spider anything...

Looks to me like time for Valveking but probably used...

Modeling amps probably not going to be huge step up from the Roland cube. Only thing I can suggest maybe look at Vox VT series.

I consider my Spider Valve more a Bogner tube amp than a Line 6 Spider amp

Quote by Spambot_2
Come on man, drop it, it's not like there's a reason why tube amps inherently sound better than transistor amps.

The fact they usually do also is true only for guitar amps 'cause guitarists want them tubes, and nobody bothers making good solid state amps these days (well randall does) because nobody will buy an expensive solid state amp.
Why?
Well because it's a solid state amp, and "solid state amps sound worse than tube amps".

No one even know Line 6 makes a Valve amp. I love mine. Even my tube wh*re friend is surprised by it. I know there are good SS amps out there. My dream rig is an Axe FX and a carvin power amp. I'm just saying for sound vs price the Spider Valve amps seem right up his alley.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
A Spider Valve will still be a Spider, no matter whether or not it has tubes.

If you want a good tube amp, I suggest the Jet City mentioned earlier in the thread.
If you're dead set on a modeler, get a Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 or a Roland Cube 40.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Maybe worth checking out...

I never managed to become a Line 6 convert...and I tried...

From my old kidney shaped POD to the Vetta to the Spider Valve something just never seemed to click in the sound. I was really looking forward to the Spider Valve, after all - who wouldn't want a Bogner at 1/4 of the price with instant preset patch changes + fx. When I heard it I was underwhelmed.

To OP - by no means, try it, it is slightly better than the current amp you have.

I don't think anyone suggested it, but how about lunchbox sized amps. Maybe something like a Micro Terror?
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Micro-Terror-20-Watt-Head/dp/B008BTTQI4%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB008BTTQI4
^ I had a Spider Valve when they first came out, they are pretty nice and are not in the same league as the regular spiders. But in the end all it is, is a few things from the POD2.0/flextone II and a Bogner designed power section. It can sound pretty damn good, but requires lots of time tweeking. I like it better than the Vypyr tube, and that is a nice hybrid modeler.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by diabolical
Maybe worth checking out...

I never managed to become a Line 6 convert...and I tried...

From my old kidney shaped POD to the Vetta to the Spider Valve something just never seemed to click in the sound. I was really looking forward to the Spider Valve, after all - who wouldn't want a Bogner at 1/4 of the price with instant preset patch changes + fx. When I heard it I was underwhelmed.

To OP - by no means, try it, it is slightly better than the current amp you have.

I don't think anyone suggested it, but how about lunchbox sized amps. Maybe something like a Micro Terror?
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Micro-Terror-20-Watt-Head/dp/B008BTTQI4%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB008BTTQI4

I have my POD HD500 running power amp in on the Spider valve, do I get some sick tones and versatility out of both.

I didn't think of lunchbox amps. But for the Micro Terror you need a really good 1x12 or 2x12 cab too. None of that 4" crush cab crap. Still my favorite lunchbox though. The only issue is it's one channel and you need a good dirtbox in front of it to make it even remotely versatile.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I don't really think there's any reason to get tube amp for me.

1. They are expensive
2. I would need to buy all the pedals for effects
3. I've no need to play really loud and if I'm right, tube amps get easily real loud.

I don't have anything against tube amps, I believe they have better sound quality but at the moment I just don't think I need one.

I really would appreciate now your opinion on:
1. Vypyr VIP 2 or 3 http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_vip_2.htm
2. Fender Mustang III http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_mustang_iii_v2.htm
3. Or if you really have something better in mind and you can justify it for me.
I'm a fan of the Vypyr, they do metal tones the best out of the low-end modelers. As has been mentioned, Vox Valvetronix series sounds pretty good, not as good at metal as the Vypyr but better at everything else.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by TheStig1214
I have my POD HD500 running power amp in on the Spider valve, do I get some sick tones and versatility out of both.
The power amp is an all bogner design, and the hd500 isn't bad at all.
The fact that you're not using the spider's pre is most likely the reason why you think it doesn't sound bad.
Quote by kalluppi1
1. They are expensive
3. I've no need to play really loud and if I'm right, tube amps get easily real loud.
1. well you're generally right, but you can find cheap ones too.
Plus they generally sound better.
2. yeah.
Though you could buy a cheap mfx processor and a cheap tube amp, it's not like you'll use or even like every funny fx you'll find in modeling amps.
3. no more than any other amp.
Plus they have a volume control so turning it counterclockwise almost certainly reduces by 100% their possibility of getting louder than you want them to.

But I see your reasons.
I'd still buy a jet city, though for that money you could get yourself a used vypyr tube 60 or a big valvetronix.
I've actually kinda liked the heavy rock tones coming out of the valvetronix's I've heard.
Dunnow about metallica, but it'll do the rest nice indeed.
The vypyr on the other hand will most likely sound better for nailing the metallica tone, though I'm with dementicaptain's idea of it not sounding as good as the VT for lighter stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
+1 on jet city, with maybe a boss sd1 (i think i prefer it to a ts/bm but they'll both work)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kalluppi1

Trust me when I say this, you will kick your self in the ass in the near future when you realise what a bad decision that you made getting something like the mustang over the Jet City.

I sure know that I've learned from my mistakes "Cough" MG250dxf "Cough". I could have saved myself hundreds over the years if I had just smartened up and bought a decent little tube amp from the beginning. Oh well.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to buy a bunch of effects pedals right away either (aside from an OD). You're better off picking them up as you need them, that way you get the ones that you really need. They will be much better quality than anything built into the mustang.

And the JCA2212 + an OD pedal would still be cheaper than that mustang...
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar

I could have saved myself hundreds over the years if I had just smartened up and bought a decent little tube amp from the beginning. Oh well.

Haha, you're so right. I made a few solid state mistakes along the way too.
Quote by Spambot_2

Why?

Given that we are on a guitar forum talking about guitar amps, what's your point?

Spider Valve has several supporters here, but not as many as the Vypyr hybrids.

And yes, there is a reason, it's just not pertinent to the thread.

Edit: Have you ever spent any real time with a Spider Valve? Because from your posts it doesn't appear so...
Quote by kalluppi1

1. They are expensive

I don't have anything against tube amps, I believe they have better sound quality but at the moment I just don't think I need one.

3. Or if you really have something better in mind and you can justify it for me.

1. Not really, Jet City make great amps for very reasonable prices.
2. No, only for those effects you actually need, which are probably a lot less than you might think. Also, plenty of bargain priced pedals out there and there's always multi-FX pedals.
3. Watts are watts, all amps get loud. They also all have a volume knob for that very reason.

If you're dead set on not getting a tube amp, of the above get the Peavey.

But seriously, get a tube amp.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by kalluppi1

1. They are expensive

Add a Fender Vibro Champ X2 to your list and play through them for a while. I am sure you can find an amp that suits your style that is easy on your ears for reasonable $$.

If modeling and a wide palate of quality sounds is your goal, maybe get a POD or Vox Tonelab with far better digital modeling than an inexpensive student amp. You could still run it through your Cube for bedroom volumes.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by Arby911

1. Not really, Jet City make great amps for very reasonable prices.
2. No, only for those effects you actually need, which are probably a lot less than you might think. Also, plenty of bargain priced pedals out there and there's always multi-FX pedals.
3. Watts are watts, all amps get loud. They also all have a volume knob for that very reason.

If you're dead set on not getting a tube amp, of the above get the Peavey.

But seriously, get a tube amp.

+1

the jet city high gain combos are actually cheaper than the mustang you linked to

granted, eventually you'll have to retube, but if you're only playing at home at practice volumes, unless you're very unlucky, that won't be any time soon.

and yeah unless you're playing really effects-heavy music you probably won't need as many effects as you think if you have a nice amp. from the sounds of it, you aren't. effects are awesome fun, but you should get a nice amp first- it's like spending tons of money on car accessories before you have a decent car.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
1.Given that we are on a guitar forum talking about guitar amps, what's your point?

2.Spider Valve has several supporters here, but not as many as the Vypyr hybrids.

And yes, there is a reason, it's just not pertinent to the thread.

3. Edit: Have you ever spent any real time with a Spider Valve? Because from your posts it doesn't appear so...
1. I wouldn't make him think that all tube amps are generally better than all transistor amps.
Just to clarify, y' know.

2. sorry Arby, I'll be more careful.

3. three to five minutes with a cheap guitar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
1. I wouldn't make him think that all tube amps are generally better than all transistor amps.
Just to clarify, y' know.

Except it's usually true - a lot of transistor amps are of the "cheap-as-hell and found in a starterpack" variety. There are some really good ones (Roland Jazz Chorus, Randall amps, Hughes & Kettner also have some good ones), but there aren't as many bad tube amps as there are god-awful transistor ones.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Spambot_2

3. three to five minutes with a cheap guitar.

There's the problem, the SV isn't easy to dial in, which is one of it's biggest flaws.

Well, that and the fact that the new price is ridiculous.

But neither of those things makes it a bad amp.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by PsiGuy60
Except it's usually true - a lot of transistor amps are of the "cheap-as-hell and found in a starterpack" variety. There are some really good ones (Roland Jazz Chorus, Randall amps, Hughes & Kettner also have some good ones), but there aren't as many bad tube amps as there are god-awful transistor ones.
As I wrote before, that's usually true with guitar amps only.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Good transistor amps are getting fewer and far in between. I think the 90s were a better era for that design. Now they pack them with digital modelers and turn them into children's toys. I think Carvin are one of the few that have stayed away from that fad and still make good ss amps. Would I take one over a JCM900/2000? No.