I have a home studio and usually just record everything, but now I am going to be jamming in a band. I think I can salvage everything I need for a live rehearsal except a mic preamp.

I'm the guitarist/vocalist and it's a rock band. I've got a Shure SM57 and 2 Behringer B1031A Truth monitors which I presume I could use for voice amplification if I have a mic preamp. I don't want to use the studio preamps because that's a firestudio which I don't want to move around. What should I get?

Maybe this: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PS400-Ultra-Compact-Phantom-Supply/dp/B000FG795I/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1397302385&sr=1-1
Last edited by Tmusician at Apr 12, 2014,
Art makes a nice and inexpensive tube preamp.

I don't think your speakers are going to cut it for using live at all because they are studio reference. Look for a powered monitor and you'll be way better off.

This would work fine www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-pv115d-15-powered-speaker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree. I doubt that you would want to push them as hard as you would need to for a band rehearsal, and I'm not sure they would get loud enough.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
If you have a MFX unit like a Line 6 POD or Boss GT, you can plug it directly to the speaker and you will have a usable rig.

They do make some that are a bit cheaper, But I would advise you get a powered wedge with at least a 12" speaker in it

You can also use it to play your music through if you have a backyard BBQ
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Them monitors wouldn't be ideal for that, a small used PA rig would be better.
Anyway, an alesis mictube solo would do as a pre.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Them monitors wouldn't be ideal for that, a small used PA rig would be better.
Anyway, an alesis mictube solo would do as a pre.

For sure

I was just recommending something cheap that could get him by for practicing situations not for gigging
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate