HI everyone I'm looking for a new guitar within the $100-300 range and maybe a little over and I'm play metal 99% of the time But to some it all up can you guys give me advice on a new guitar for metal within my price range and i'll probably upgrade the pickups and i'f ya'll don't mind can you help me find a decent pickup and btw i'm a "Intermediate/semi- advance player" so this is not my first guitar but thanks for any suggestions!
Last edited by thrashhabbit666 at Apr 12, 2014,
At that price range, I'd buy used. And the pickups depends on the sound you want. Metal has become too big of a genre to generalize into a few words, so you gotta be specific there.

But here are some basic questions: which kind of body shape are you comfortable with? Do you like fat or thin necks? Which tone are you after? Do you want a floating trem? How many frets would you like? Which body wood and neck/fretboard wood would you prefer?
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
You should definitely get one of those pointy guitars with a skull on it. Nothing more metal than a pointy guitar with skulls!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Unless you NEED another guitar, save your money for a while longer. While there are always bargains to be had, you're really at the low end of even the bargain range. Put $450-500 on the table and you'll find a used guitar that will do everything you want and will last a lifetime.

For specific recommendations we need more details about what you're looking for in a guitar as regards shape, neck, frets, bridge, scale etc.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by lucky1978
You should definitely get one of those pointy guitars with a skull on it. Nothing more metal than a pointy guitar with skulls!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911
Unless you NEED another guitar, save your money for a while longer. While there are always bargains to be had, you're really at the low end of even the bargain range. Put $450-500 on the table and you'll find a used guitar that will do everything you want and will last a lifetime.

For specific recommendations we need more details about what you're looking for in a guitar as regards shape, neck, frets, bridge, scale etc.

I'll put it to you this way i bought a used Schetcher from Guitar Center and its warped and i sent it to a friend to get rid of the fret buzz and i went to pick it up and he said its in really bad shape its warped and the guy i took it to is a friend that's been playing for 35 years and guitar centers reps ripped me off i asked the rep i said let me ask you as a player not an employee is this guitar going to suit my needs and he look straight at me and said yes so i wanna go and throw it at him but i did not buy better warranty
Quote by Archer250
At that price range, I'd buy used. And the pickups depends on the sound you want. Metal has become too big of a genre to generalize into a few words, so you gotta be specific there.

But here are some basic questions: which kind of body shape are you comfortable with? Do you like fat or thin necks? Which tone are you after? Do you want a floating trem? How many frets would you like? Which body wood and neck/fretboard wood would you prefer?

I prefer like a Strat Body and really anything except a V shaped but how are LTD's and anything but Floyed and thin necks and thanks
If you're a beginner I wouldn't recommend a Floyd Rose bridge. They're very hard to use and inconvenient unless you stay in one tuning. Look into Ibanez RG series they have some pretty cheap decent guitars. LTD has solid guitars as well, and Schecter. Try some out at a guitar center before you buy them. For pickups look at Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio high-outputs. They usually handle a distorted sound the best, or just look for ones designed to play metal. EMG's are solid but they're weakness is getting a good clean sound out of them.
Quote by Scutchington
May 1st 2010 I had a sandwich.

May 1st 2011 Osama is killed.

May 2nd 2011 I decided the sandwich I had last year was pretty good.
Quote by benomino324
If you're a beginner I wouldn't recommend a Floyd Rose bridge. They're very hard to use and inconvenient unless you stay in one tuning. Look into Ibanez RG series they have some pretty cheap decent guitars. LTD has solid guitars as well, and Schecter. Try some out at a guitar center before you buy them. For pickups look at Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio high-outputs. They usually handle a distorted sound the best, or just look for ones designed to play metal. EMG's are solid but they're weakness is getting a good clean sound out of them.
David Gilmour would like to have a word with you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Godin Redline HB is a well-made, Canadian built, hardtail Superstrat with 2 hot humbuckers. Used, they can be found for just over $300.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/godin-redline-hb-electric-guitar/620135005178003?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CPbw9rO03L0CFbTm7AodUUAAiQ&kwid=productads-plaid%5E58356928227-sku%5E620135005178003@ADL4MF-adType%5EPLA-device%5Et-adid%5E30430023867

Fernandes guitars is having a clearance sale, and this Dragonfly Standard is deeply discounted- @$300 lower than typical discounted prices. It is a MiK hardtail, and has high-output pickups.
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/standard/76-dragonfly-standard.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 12, 2014,
Quote by thrashhabbit666
HI everyone I'm looking for a new guitar within the $100-300 range and maybe a little over and I'm play metal 99% of the time But to some it all up can
you guys give me advice on a new guitar for metal within my price range and i'll probably upgrade the pickups and i'f ya'll don't mind can you help me find a decent pickup and btw i'm a "Intermediate/semi- advance player" so this is not my first guitar but thanks for any suggestions!

I reaize this has been stated, but the guitar will exponentially increase from $300 to a used $500-$600 one. i relaize that not everybody can, but start washing cars or shoveling snow or mowing lawns. that gets you up there faster.

i doesn't know you guitar skill, but i have taught for the llast two years. $20 half hour, x 6 students (low) x4 (weekly) $480 in ONE month. its not the easiest at first, but its good money on the side.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
And at that price, worry more about how it plays than how it sounds. You can always fix the sound later by upgrading pickups (just make sure it has the right type) but it has to feel nice in your hands and play well. You can't afford to get too picky - playability, that's what your money should be paying attention to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by thrashhabbit666
I prefer like a Strat Body and really anything except a V shaped but how are LTD's and anything but Floyed and thin necks and thanks

So you don't want a Floyd or a thin neck, am I reading that correctly?

$300 can go a long way buying used.

Just a quick browse turned these up:

LTD H-500 (Seymour Duncan JB/'59) - $250 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LTD-H500-CHERRY-BURST-109759895-i3580552.gc

LTD Viper-300 FM (EMG 81/85) - $250 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LTD-VIPER-300-FM-RED-109955037-i3704907.gc

Schecter C-1 Artist (Seymour Duncan JB/'59) - $250 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SCHECTER-C1-ARTIST-BLACK-NC-11213-109755029-i3523322.gc

Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe (EMG 81/85) - $270 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SCHECTER-HELLRAISER-DELUXE-110030869-i3691287.gc

Schecter Hellraiser Special Solo-6 (EMG 81/85) - $275 http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SCHECTER-HELLRAISER-SPECIAL-SOLO-6-109916225-i3666157.gc

All of these are perfectly viable, good guitars with great pickups that don't need to be swapped, and will last you years if not outlive you.

There's a lot more out there too, these are just examples of what can be had.

The LTD H-500 and the Schecter C-1 Artist I'd particularly recommend out of the bunch.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X