Basically I'm almost saved up and I've been looking at buying a Gretsch G5245T Double Jet for $600. But the Les Paul has caught my attention (more so than it usually has) and I'm stuck between the two. Someone give me some pros and cons please lol
Play em both and trust your hands and your ears. Both are nice axes so there are no wrong choices.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Which Les Paul?
Gretsch, while great stuff, is of the cheaper variety.
When Fender bought them the quality went up. But I'd rather have a LP.
Definitely a LP. There are no pros and cons. It's just preference. For example, someone might say that it's too heavy. It's a up to the person. If it doesn't have it already I'd swap in some SD pickups on that LP and you're set.
Just my thoughts... I think a LP is a great guitar... But I do like my Gretsch over a LP for specific things... My Gretsch has humbuckers on it and really cuts through, but the hollow body adds tones that the LP won't... so it depends on what you want out of the guitar... I have 8 and play them for different settings and songs..
Well, I like the classic sound the LP can put out along with the solos (Boston - More Than a Feeling for example) but the Gretsch is more of my style I guess (kind of an AC/DC tone, considering Malcolm does play a Gretsch after all). I mean, I guess the LP can do that too, but the Gretsch does it better. I'm starting to argue with myself lol let me know what you guys think.
You'll sound more like your target sound if you work their picking, their rhythm.
Having a strat doesn't mean you sound like Hendrix.
Yeah, I get what your saying. I'm just stuck because the LP has the classic pickups for light tones, but the Gretsch has mini humbuckers for hard rock and country tones.
You need to play them.

Worse case scenario, I believe you could return a guitar to Musicians Friend within a certain amount of time and then buy the other if you're disappointed.