Page 1 of 2
I've been really enjoying the Stanley Kubrick movies I've seen the past month. I've watched Dr. Strangelove (the only one I thought was boring), 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and the sex ritual scene to the ending of Eyes Wide Shut. I'm debating watching Eyes Wide Shut in full or watching Barry Lyndon tonight, although it looks a little boring. Has the pit watched these movies and if so, which should I watch? Or should I watch one of the older ones I didn't mention?

Also general Stanley Kubrick thread.
Tried watching 2001 and clockwork before but I just couldn't get into either. Saw the shining and thought it was too meh. Kind of like newer horror movies that are boring but without the production value.
2001 is a really artsy movie. You really have to be in the right mood to see a movie like that, and I understand why a lot of people hate it.

I think Im gonna watch Eyes Wide Shut in full. I really enjoyed what I saw of it. Based on the movie poster, I thought it would be some dumb romantic comedy, and I thought I would hate it because Tom Cruise is in it, buts its a great movie.
Last edited by chronic_stp at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by chronic_stp
Dr. Strangelove (the only one I thought was boring),

Quote by chronic_stp
2001 is a really artsy movie. You really have to be in the right mood to see a movie like that, and I understand why a lot of people hate it.

just stick to Micheal Bay you swine
I've tried to watch 2001 3 times and fell asleep every time. I'm sure it's gr9 tho. Only Kubrick films I've seen all the way through are A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket. Love both of em.
I've never seen a Michael Bay movie, nor do I don't plan on it.

I really liked 2001 though. Hal is a great villain. It has great music selection too. Just saying I understand why some people don't, its definitely not a movie for everybody.
The Shining has been my favorite movie since I was about ten years old because it scared the absolute shit out of me.

I can find something in every Kubrick movie where at least one scene will stick in my brain forever, everything he's done is so damn good. I really liked Paths of Glory, god that movie is old.
The three monoliths are a gift: they represent human knowledge/logic, but people just used them for violence.
the first one showed when the apes learned how to use bones as weapons, the second when humans got to space (remember, this movie was released during the cold war, and to extent the space race), and third was when humans reached jupiter.

at the third monolith, the aliens who had been giving these gifts said "**** humans are getting smarter" so they took dave, rebirth him (hence the 'star child' at the end) and he was supposedly the savior of man.

I think that's how (roughly) the story goes, and the novel even had a sequel (2010: odyssey three).

as for a clockwork orange, the novel did have a value/lesson to it. it goes like 'what is better? a man forced to do good or a man who, out of own will, does bad things' but I think the author did admit that kubrick didn't make it clear in the movie.
My favorite movie of all time is The Shining.. The way Kubrick portrayed, Stephen Kings novel in that movie was nothing short of being incredible. Jack Nicholson was pretty genius, as well.
the shining book is so good and the shining movie is so good, a perfect example of how to adapt a book, don't be a slave to the source material like Snyder
Quote by Shaft77
My favorite movie of all time is The Shining.. The way Kubrick portrayed, Stephen Kings novel in that movie was nothing short of being incredible. Jack Nicholson was pretty genius, as well.

Its a shame Stephen King himself didn't like it. I can't believe he disagreed with casting Jack Nicholson, I think he was perfect for that role and he pulled it off amazingly.
Quote by chronic_stp
Its a shame Stephen King himself didn't like it. I can't believe he disagreed with casting Jack Nicholson, I think he was perfect for that role and he pulled it off amazingly.

Really? I had no idea, Stephen King didn't enjoy it. That's pretty crazy, kind of disappointing in a way. A lot of King's work has been on the big screen, and although a lot of them were great, I couldn't say any of them were as good as the Shining..
Quote by Shaft77
Really? I had no idea, Stephen King didn't enjoy it. That's pretty crazy, kind of disappointing in a way. A lot of King's work has been on the big screen, and although a lot of them were great, I couldn't say any of them were as good as the Shining..

The reason that the TV miniseries got made in the mid 90's was because King was not satisfied with the movie.
Dr Strangelove is a riot

The Shining and A Clockwork Orange are great too. Still haven't managed to see 2001 yet.
I've always hated Full Metal Jacket; Paths of Glory is by far the better war film. The Killing (which influenced The Dark Knight surprisingly enough) is also a pretty great noir but tbh nothing compares to Dr Strangelove.

Also 2001 is a film with fascinating themes/ideas and astonishing visuals, but a real drag to watch most of the time.
Basically watch all of Kubrick's movies, aside from his documentaries. Start with Fear And Desire and just go to Eyes Wide Shut. Spartacus is top notch for that kind of sword and sandal epic.
Quote by Shaft77

have you read The Shining? You'd be less surprised.
2001 is cool, it was so long ago that i barely remember it though. The Shining wasn't as good as the book but it's okay, Full Metal Jacket was pretty heavy film, very well made...have yet to see Clockwork Orange but i have my doubts that it's as good as the book.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Boring unless you're a pretentious ****wad.

Or have an attention span?

Quote by chronic_stp

He was great in the film but he wouldn't have fit the book character. I think it's because he's meant to gradually evolve from a normal guy to the crazy bastard in the depths of his subconscious, whereas Jack Nicholson just looks crazy all the time
Last edited by Basti95 at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by metal4eva_22

it must be awful to be you
Quote by metal4eva_22

Bet you thought 'The Da Vinci Code' was the pinnacle of intellectual thrillers.

I can think of far, FAR more directors that cater to prententious ****wads sooner than Kubrick. His films are not art films, but they aren't Michael Bay/Uwe Boll affairs either. He had a keen eye for detail and realism. Maybe that's what you're mistaking for 'pretentiousness.' There just isn't enough ghost sharks or giant robots or talking cartoon ponies for you. And that's ok.
I didn't really care much for The Shining, but I'm definitely up for giving it another shot some time soon. Full Metal Jacket on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed watching that movie.
Seen a lot of Kubrick films, Eyes Wide Shut is probably the weakest of his I've seen. I've had Spartacus on DVD for years but never got around the watching it. One day... one day.
I really like A Clockwork Orange. It looks kind of dated now, and while the plot isn't much different from the book (aside from the ending), it doesn't really match the image i get in my head when i read the book. Still a very good film though.

Other than that, i've seen a bit of FMJ, and i liked it for the most part, although i've heard some people say that the boot camp part is the best, and after that it kind of loses its way. I've seen a bit of 2001 and i couldn't really get into it.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I've seen both Dr Strangelove and The Shining on the big screen
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
General Buck Turgidson:Mr. President, we are rapidly approaching a moment of truth both for ourselves as human beings and for the life of our nation. Now, truth is not always a pleasant thing. But it is necessary now to make a choice, to choose between two admittedly regrettable, but nevertheless *distinguishable*, postwar environments: one where you got twenty million people killed, and the other where you got a hundred and fifty million people killed.

Favourite movie quote ever.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I enjoyed the hell out of Full Metal Jacket, the Shining and Clockwork Orange. Haven't got to see 2001 yet or Strangelove.
pinga
Quote by Shaft77

Same here.

I love just about everything about Kubrick's The Shining. There is so much attention to detail in every scene.
aight lets do this

2001: A Space Odyssey>The Shining>Dr. Strangelove>The Killing>Full Metal Jacket>Barry Lyndon>Eyes Wide Shut>A Clockwork Orange> Spartacus
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2