I know this kind of question has been asked a few times before but probably not about the kind of bands I'm about to ask. So the question is how much do moderately famous symphonic, power metal and similar kind of bands make in an year, the kind of bands that have like 75000-250,000 likes on their facebook pages for example soilwork, delain, xandria, after forever, crucified barbara etc.
Most metal bands are part timers. They have day jobs and that and just book a lot of time off work to tour.
I'm no expert in the matter but I'd guess that they're able to make a living off their music but they wouldn't be rich by any means.
Quote by The_Locker
I'm no expert in the matter but I'd guess that they're able to make a living off their music but they wouldn't be rich by any means.

But the bands I've mentioned all are signed to decent sized labels and they tour almost 4-5 months in an year, have their professionally produced videos on youtube, still do you think they're no way near rich?
Define rich.

Also watch Anvil! The Story of Anvil. It will give you some insight into how it works.
Last edited by Malchius at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by andyscoot
Most metal bands are part timers. They have day jobs and that and just book a lot of time off work to tour.

But these bands tour for months at a time in different countries, I don't think they can do that with a day job,
Quote by Malchius
Define rich.

Also watch Anvil! The Story of Anvil. It will give you some insight into how it works.

I said rich only in reply to other poster but anyways by rich I personally would think an annual income of in the $100K per year per band member
Quote by Malchius
Define rich.

And yeah thanks I'll watch it
Last edited by terry3218 at Apr 13, 2014,
I doubt any of those bands you've mentioned are getting that much through music alone. Most of the profits will be gained by the record label.
Quote by terry3218
But the bands I've mentioned all are signed to decent sized labels and they tour almost 4-5 months in an year, have their professionally produced videos on youtube, still do you think they're no way near rich?

Quote by Adam Cody, Singer of Wretched
The other day my roommate brought up to me that many of my Facebook friends might think I play music for a living. This kinda blew my mind; much to the contrary, I work really hard to be able to afford to do it. I'm 29, tour, make albums ect. & work 50 plus hours a week of manual labor when home. Don't expect Heavy music to pay your bills at home. They do not pay mine at least. & I'm cool with that!

Wretched have all those things you listed and don't make enough to live from that.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
i know the dudes in Gojira have day jobs

pretty sure King Buzzo from the Melvins does too

so in other words, not much
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
From what I understood, many musicians work in the music industry as their day job.
Even a very prominent guitarist such as John5 works his arse off as a session musician alongside his solo and Rob Zombie tours. Many other examples include guitarists as engineers or teachers, for instance.
Please let me keep this memory, just this one ..
How successful is moderately successful? Trivium? Gojira? Dragonforce? Black Dahlia Murder?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
How successful is moderately successful? Trivium? Gojira? Dragonforce? Black Dahlia Murder?

One of the bands I mentioned, soilwork their latest album sold around 7500 copies in it's first week of release in the united states.
Quote by terry3218

Yeah. They had to pay for those videos themselves. And on tour for six months means you're renting a bus for six months, paying a driver for six months, paying guys to set your stuff up, paying people to sell merch, etc. you're not making money in a metal band.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by terry3218
One of the bands I mentioned, soilwork their latest album sold around 7500 copies in it's first week of release in the united states.

They made like 12,000 dollars off that and you split it five ways. And I'd assume sales went down after that. So I'd assume maybe the band profited 20,000. Split that up and they made 4,000 each.

Unless they're DIY
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
TS you wont make a good living playing in a metal band with your friends, sorry.
Opeth (Mikael doing the interview)

http://noisey.vice.com/ja/blog/opeth-started-from-the-bottom-now-theyre-here

Well, there’s been many obstacles. Financially, like in the early days with the first four or five records, we didn’t make a penny. And at the same time, I lived with my mom until I was 23 or something like that, which was horrible. There were lots of obstacles. For many years, I think a lot of people just thought I was a dreamer. Like, “You’ll never get to where you want to go,” because of whatever. It sounds boring to bring up finances, but eventually, you have to pay a bill or pay the rent or something like that, then dreams are not enough. You need something else. Our career, though, was still fairly easy, I have to say. We never had to sell ourselves or things like that in order to get a headstart somewhat. We got our first record deal based on a 10-second rehearsal tape so that was easy. That wasn’t a problem. We did three records with them. We didn’t really tour or anything, and we didn’t make any money, but we had three records out that were pretty good and exciting for the time. Then we got a new record deal with a bigger label that was run by an even bigger label that eventually ended up taking us on, and then we got to Roadrunner. Everything on the business side of things has been pretty smooth, but we didn’t make a living until we put out the fifth or sixth album. That was difficult, but the motivation for me was never faltering. It was always there.I could live on canned food. That wasn’t a problem, because music made me happy. But I would have to say, even if it sounds boring, that the biggest obstacle was that I didn’t feel part of society. I couldn’t buy food. I couldn’t buy anything, so I had to borrow money from my mother and stuff like that, so that was a big obstacle for us. I still kept my motivation intact because it was the only thing that made me happy. I couldn’t see myself getting a so-called normal job because it wouldn’t have made me happy. I’m determined in that way that no obstacle is going to stop me

Took them 10-12 years to finally start making money.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Apr 13, 2014,
^ they also didn't tour for their first 3-4 albums, im sure if they would have they would have made at least some money. not to say they would have been well off or anything.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by terry3218

Yeah man, you're not gonna make shit off of that.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
They probably couldn't afford to tour. Like he said, there was no money.
Sail upon the open skies
Nightwish are probably pretty rich. Dimmu Borgir are probably comfortable. All other symphonic metal bands are poor.
Check out my band Disturbed
^^That's true too, the difference between Opeth's early days and Soilwork is that the latter is currently an established band and probably gets some help funding for tours from their label. Opeth had to work with nothing

It really depends on what your label is and how devoted they are to you. If you're a somewhat established band on Roadrunner, for instance, you might make fairly decent money as they'll fund your tour and merchandise, most likely.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Last edited by Gibson_SG_uzr55 at Apr 13, 2014,
well he made it seem like they really didnt have to tour, saying that career wise it was easy for them. plenty of really small bands tour i figure that they could have done it at least one time over that span of time.
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
People don't play in bands to make money. That pretty much says everything you need to know.

If you want to make money, be a lawyer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Let me give you an example. Protest the Hero had a crowdfunding campaign for their last album. Now, PtH makes pretty good earnings at most shows, their albums have all sold well, etc. But the reason the band did a crowdfunding campaign was because they were too broke to pay for the cost of a new album. Most bands are like that, which is why they get label support. Unfortunately, label support means you have a contract with the label to make X albums, and the label could cancel you if your stuff doesn't sell well. My point is, most bands (of any genre) aren't in it for "getting rich". Very few bands become like Metallica and make millions.