G'day! So pretty much, a low budget Aussie here. I recently bought my first electric guitar: the Artist Les Paul 60. The thing is, while I am being told by pros that my guitar sounds great, and they guess $500 AUD as a "steal" price while it cost $180 with accessories, I feel like they are just being modest. This is really getting into psychology, but even though the guitar does sound at least as good as an Epiphone Les Paul Standard ($430), if not better, it just bugs me that I have not seen anyone else play the guitars. I mean, the company did just only start up in early 2008, but why would people not go for lower priced equipment of the same quality? Is it the low price that is associated with a poor build quality hence why people do not buy? Is it because the brand has been restricted to Australia until a month ago when shipping started going to New Zealand? Or am I right in having a weird gut feeling that I missing out on something pretty big here?

Anyway, I would like to know if anyone else out there on Ultimate Guitar has had an experience of an Artist guitar (especially electric)and what their opinions on it are. There is a very high probability that those who have had the said experience have at least visited Australia at least once.

P.S. I just re - read what I wrote. Somebody below needs to help me rephrase this so it does not sound like advertising.
people don't spend their money on products that you can not find in a regular store or find readily available reviews of. And people buying music gear really like to have a guitar in hand so they can see how the guitar feels in their own hands. Besides who wants a ______ guitar when you can get a Epiphone Squier, LTD, Ibanez? Peopl know these names and they tend to trust them more.

Yes typically cheap price means bad QC/build quality and hardware.

In the US we have a few guitar brands that are kinda like that, really good prices on guitars that you would expect to cost 2x the price. Agile guitars are good values, but you must order by mail, so you can not go to the store and try them out, you buy blind.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm Australian and I've never heard of an Artist guitar.
That pretty much is a reason right there why you don't see anyone use them.
People haven't heard of them, and people generally don't like change and are content with sticking to the known and not venturing in to the unknown. For that reason when it comes to electrics i stick to fender/Ibanez (depending what sound I'm after) because I'm comfortable with them and they're a brand i know will give me what i want based on my past experiences. I don't feel the need to take my chances with some local brand just because they're cheaper. If i want a Coca Cola, i buy a Coca Cola, not some new imitation which claims to be better.
That was an awful analogy

I think you get what I'm trying to say anyways..
@Rob yeah, these ones are a "must buy blind" kind of thing too, but they come with a 1 year warranty and a full coverage 3 months money back guarantee: they accept you changing your mind as a reason to return the guitar, which they then resell at a discount. The return delivery is free.

@vayne if I had to pick one thing I hate about common human personality is how conservative everyone is of everything. Especially in riskless conditions like these, why would it hurt to go and try something new out? Psychologically it is usually based off a justification "I made the right choice, and I will not doubt myself". Oh well, people are people, right? I mean, this is why I started this thread just then. And by the way, I highly recommend based on other experienced views, it is not a bad imitation in any way, and they explicitly state on their website themselves that their guitars are not the same quality as the original. I am unsure whether that is true honesty (because of the words "hence the price"), or whether since this is business, it is just another marketing ploy.

I submitted a review here LAST Saturday, it is still not approved OR denied, it is still in waiting. And I mean, if even Aussies have never heard of these, my cause of trying to help spread the brand name may be in vain unless I get some support like my reviews getting approved, you know...
Quote by 2Crosser
@vayne if I had to pick one thing I hate about common human personality is how conservative everyone is of everything. Especially in riskless conditions like these, why would it hurt to go and try something new out?

Everyone is like that, and buying a guitar is not a "riskless condition". A financial loss is always a risk. I'm willing to play it safe and maybe spend a little more for a product i know will be to my satisfaction. Now if circumstances were different and i was not well off financially and had a strict strict budget then maybe I'd take a risk on something like that.
Quote by 2Crosser
@vayne I am not, and most the people I personally know are not either. See, on your strict budget, the risk is waiting for two- three business days. They have a confidence policy, here, read this. Change your mind? No worries mate. http://www.artistguitars.com.au/view/3-month-100-money-back-guarantee/838

I don't understand, are you trying to sell me the brand? This entire thread just reeks of you trying to promote this local brand. Also, money-back guarantee's mean absolutely nothing to me. It's NEVER as easy as "my product is faulty, I'd like to return it", "No problem sir. Sorry the product was not to your satisfaction".
Not to sound harsh, but your profile does say you're 15 after all. I'm sure you've had little to no experience in personally dealing with difficult customer service, policy loopholes and financial dilemma's etc.

Also, I'm not interested in buying any guitar at all right now. You've phrased your responses in a manner which indicates that you believe me to be looking to purchase a guitar..
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 13, 2014,
@vayne I did say I needed someone to help me rephrase in the original post, did I not? Sorry to be annoying you then, mate. It just happened to get to me that this is a bit too idealistic and I was trying to see what was up, working up the said experience.

P.S. I mentioned other people's experience, and asked for their opinions which I have also stated. And while six years is not too much of a difference, I do study such legal and financial problems at school (Unit 1/2 VCE Legal Studies and a general commerce course). Once again, sorry to annoy you so much. May I suggest that the time is 1:09, and that we both need to sleep a little, especially with a work day tomorrow?

EDIT: By the way, I did make a return of an amplifier, everything went perfectly fine, sorry to hear your past experiences were contradictory.
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 13, 2014,
As much as you want to, you will not change peoples perception on these issues. Besides a 1 yr warranty is not that great, Epiphone, LTD and many other companies have a Lifetime warranty. And like has been said people know these other brands and are much more willing to buy from them as they are widely available everywhere.

And I agree, this is deff borderline advertising.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
As much as you want to, you will not change peoples perception on these issues. Besides a 1 yr warranty is not that great, Epiphone, LTD and many other companies have a Lifetime warranty. And like has been said people know these other brands and are much more willing to buy from them as they are widely available everywhere.

And I agree, this is deff borderline advertising.

Yeah, a lifetime warranty would be nice, I wish I could afford something better. Oh well. Even though I hate brand loyalty, I guess I will have to put up with it in these kinds of groups of people. By the way, instead of telling me what I already know, could someone please help me rephrase my statements so that they aren't anything like advertising?
As long as you like and enjoy your gear, screw what everyone else thinks. I mainly use a cheap epi G-400 live, it plays great and sounds great after I put a diff bridge pickup. The guitar cost $299 new and then an extra $70 for the pickup. I have a old discontinued PRS CE22, so I deff know what a quality guitar should be.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 2Crosser
Yeah, a lifetime warranty would be nice, I wish I could afford something better. Oh well. Even though I hate brand loyalty, I guess I will have to put up with it in these kinds of groups of people. By the way, instead of telling me what I already know, could someone please help me rephrase my statements so that they aren't anything like advertising?

ok you are worried about things that make little difference at this point. dude my first guitar (electric) was the sorriest no name piece of shit you can imagine (this was in the late 70s). it was a early to mid 60s made in japan (long before that meant quality) sorry ass with action so high it hurt to play. my amp was no better. as Frank Zappa said "shut up n play yer guitar" don't sweat it. I probably went through 3 guitars before I got one as good as what you have. take some time to learn and save some money for a new guitar and amp. guessing you won't be playing out for a bit so once again no worries.

looked in your profile and honestly that doesn't look like a bad guitar at all. couple of upgrades and you'll be fine. the amp is crap but I'm sure you'll upgrade.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Apr 13, 2014,
@Rob yeah, I guess you are right, I should really just not worry about it too much and spark flame wars left and right, eh?

@manwobobbo Actually, I already play live at my school, but I am a bit too young to even try setting up a band/gig or anything of the sort, so I do not know about that. I may upgrade the electronics, and the bridge to a locking ToneMaster or whatever they are called (please tell me), but oh well. The amp? In the nearest future (next month or so) I am going to try and get two portable amplifiers and see how they feel, but I am aiming at a 100 watt (death to all neighbors!!!) maybe sometime in October - December. Enough about me though, how did you go through three guitars (guessing pennies at the time GRRR)? I do not know, I would have probably quit. Dedication I guess, eh?
Quote by 2Crosser
@Rob yeah, I guess you are right, I should really just not worry about it too much and spark flame wars left and right, eh?

@manwobobbo Actually, I already play live at my school, but I am a bit too young to even try setting up a band/gig or anything of the sort, so I do not know about that. I may upgrade the electronics, and the bridge to a locking ToneMaster or whatever they are called (please tell me), but oh well. The amp? In the nearest future (next month or so) I am going to try and get two portable amplifiers and see how they feel, but I am aiming at a 100 watt (death to all neighbors!!!) maybe sometime in October - December. Enough about me though, how did you go through three guitars (guessing pennies at the time GRRR)? I do not know, I would have probably quit. Dedication I guess, eh?

I would leave the guitar how it is, unless you need it to be set-up. You really do need to start looking for a decent amp. A used Peavey Vypyr 30 would be so much better and they can be had fairly cheap used (even in Australia)

You know I still play my 1st guitar live and it was used when it was bought in 1989. It is a no name guitar called a Sanox, but it is a really nice playing/sounding guitar it was made in the late 70's in Japan. It is in my profile if you wanna look at it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would leave the guitar how it is, unless you need it to be set-up. You really do need to start looking for a decent amp. A used Peavey Vypyr 30 would be so much better and they can be had fairly cheap used (even in Australia)

You know I still play my 1st guitar live and it was used when it was bought in 1989. It is a no name guitar called a Sanox, but it is a really nice playing/sounding guitar it was made in the late 70's in Japan. It is in my profile if you wanna look at it

Thanks to my guitar teacher, I know how to set up a guitar, but I am currently getting help with inconsistent fret buzz (non - transferring) in the setup thread. I will look into the amp you mentioned, but I wonder if I can find a used one in good condition though. You see, I live in Melbourne, and all the musicians here are in Queensland and New South Wales (Sydney, Perth and Gold Coast) from my experience, so...

Dude. That guitar. The finish looks awesome, and it does not hide the imperfections in the grain. I wonder how it would look like with a pickguard (if you like them, of course) on, and without those stickers (you put them on yourself, right?). If it sounds great, play the hell out of it until you break it and have to repair it, do so, and then rinse and repeat, because that is an awesome guitar(exaggeration of course, do not break it!). How much did it cost you (around $300 USD I imagine)?

Edit: have a look at this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peavey-Vypyr-30-/111320856369?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item19eb3d7731 is that it? I do not have $250 on me at the moment though, and the auction ends today. Local pickup though, Melbourne too!
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by 2Crosser
Thanks to my guitar teacher, I know how to set up a guitar, but I am currently getting help with inconsistent fret buzz (non - transferring) in the setup thread. I will look into the amp you mentioned, but I wonder if I can find a used one in good condition though. You see, I live in Melbourne, and all the musicians here are in Queensland and New South Wales (Sydney, Perth and Gold Coast) from my experience, so...

Dude. That guitar. The finish looks awesome, and it does not hide the imperfections in the grain. I wonder how it would look like with a pickguard (if you like them, of course) on, and without those stickers (you put them on yourself, right?). If it sounds great, play the hell out of it until you break it and have to repair it, do so, and then rinse and repeat, because that is an awesome guitar(exaggeration of course, do not break it!). How much did it cost you (around $300 USD I imagine)?

Edit: have a look at this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peavey-Vypyr-30-/111320856369?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item19eb3d7731 is that it? I do not have $250 on me at the moment though, and the auction ends today. Local pickup though, Melbourne too!

Yeah, those stickers have been there since I was 16, I'm 35 now I took off the pickguard about 10 yrs ago. That Suicide Machines sticker came with a CD I bought back in high school.

I actually had the guitar re-fretted a few yrs ago because I has huge sentimental value to me. I think my mom paid $200-$300 for it, but that would be a bit more by todays money

Yeah that is the amp, but that seems pretty high priced even for you guys
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, those stickers have been there since I was 16, I'm 35 now I took off the pickguard about 10 yrs ago. That Suicide Machines sticker came with a CD I bought back in high school.

I actually had the guitar re-fretted a few yrs ago because I has huge sentimental value to me. I think my mom paid $200-$300 for it, but that would be a bit more by todays money

Yeah that is the amp, but that seems pretty high priced even for you guys

Dude, $250 for a 30 watt is considered a steal here for cry out loud, and currently our dollar is worth like 94 USC... I hate these Australian prices. I even quit video gaming so that I would have more money/time for guitar and still. If only that seller puts the amplifier back on auction in a month or two, I would buy.

But holy mother Mary of Jesus, a guitar 20 years old? That is older than me ! But I also agree with the sentimental value, my Livingstone Acoustic ($50 brand new ) is going to end up in my will. Since you have a Les Paul, can I ask whether removing the pickguard has an effect on the tone, sustain or whatever? I asked in "The Ultimate Les Paul Thread" to no avail. Another thing, do you still put stickers on guitars (I know, I am sorry, I just had to )?

Edit: I found a "Near New" Peavey Vypyr 60 with a Sanpera II for $630. The problem is, the darn thing is in Queensland, "local pickup only". Regardless, would you say that is a good value? The pedal on its own is around $300 (R.R.P. $400), which makes the amp itself $200 - $300. I would need to leave that until a little bit later due to the price, as I originally said, something like October, though.
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by 2Crosser
Dude, $250 for a 30 watt is considered a steal here for cry out loud, and currently our dollar is worth like 94 USC... I hate these Australian prices. I even quit video gaming so that I would have more money/time for guitar and still. If only that seller puts the amplifier back on auction in a month or two, I would buy.

But holy mother Mary of Jesus, a guitar 20 years old? That is older than me ! But I also agree with the sentimental value, my Livingstone Acoustic ($50 brand new ) is going to end up in my will. Since you have a Les Paul, can I ask whether removing the pickguard has an effect on the tone, sustain or whatever? I asked in "The Ultimate Les Paul Thread" to no avail. Another thing, do you still put stickers on guitars (I know, I am sorry, I just had to )?

Edit: I found a "Near New" Peavey Vypyr 60 with a Sanpera II for $630. The problem is, the darn thing is in Queensland, "local pickup only". Regardless, would you say that is a good value? The pedal on its own is around $300 (R.R.P. $400), which makes the amp itself $200 - $300. I would need to leave that until a little bit later due to the price, as I originally said, something like October, though.

No that guitar is 34+ yrs old I don't know the actual age

The pickguard does nothing for tone, it is for looks and to keep your guitar free from scratches.

For the Vypyr tube 60 and a SanperaII, I'd say that is decent/normal prices.

No that is the only guitar I have owned with stickers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If it sounds good and plays good then don't worry about it mate. A lot of guitarists are snobs when it comes down to guitars and refuse to go anywhere near a 'no-name' brand and refuse to believe that anything under $500/£400 can possibly sound good.

If it sounds good and plays good then don't worry.
Quote by arv1971
If it sounds good and plays good then don't worry about it mate. A lot of guitarists are snobs when it comes down to guitars and refuse to go anywhere near a 'no-name' brand and refuse to believe that anything under $500/£400 can possibly sound good.

If it sounds good and plays good then don't worry.

Thank you dude. Pretty ironic when the professionals are stiff - necks about their own profession, is it not? It seems to be the modern standard, but I hope I never become like that.

@Rob thank you for the help here man, I was able to start a thread in the "Accessories & Gear" forum section asking for help thanks to your advice here!
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Quote by 2Crosser

back in the day there was total crap and nice guitars with very little in between. i upgraded to less crap until i finally bought an Ibanez strat copy (now worth good money). believe mme new players have it really good these days as even a low end guitar is at least usually playable. i had to learn the hard way as well no forums like this or even many sources of info.
Quote by monwobobbo
back in the day there was total crap and nice guitars with very little in between. i upgraded to less crap until i finally bought an Ibanez strat copy (now worth good money). believe mme new players have it really good these days as even a low end guitar is at least usually playable. i had to learn the hard way as well no forums like this or even many sources of info.

I feel sorry for you, my teacher has had a very similar experience too. The words "made in Japan, long before that meant quality" are very familiar to me because of that, too. Oh well, I guess I am lucky, but that guitar is much more than just playable
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.