Background:

My son and I started a couple of months ago. He's doing very well with his lessons and practicing what his teacher's asking on a daily basis.

I started taking lessons from the same guy last week.

We are having a blast and building a common interest.

I added a tube amp last week and honestly, I feel like I may never get to use it again as he's taking it over. It does sound a lot better than I expected. The modeling amps may very well be sold to buy another tube amp in the near future, too.

Question:

If we do get him a tube amp.....which pedals should I be looking at starting to gather.

I'd rather buy quality now and not spend money on stuff that I'd want to trade/sell later.

Our interests are in learning AC/DC, Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Sabbath, Rush, Avenged Sevenfold, ZZ Top, Led Zep and he's also wanting to learn the soundtrack parts from his favorite anime shows (for example: Samurai Champloo-jazzy clean ending track)

Amps I'm looking at getting for him are models that he can use in his bedroom....I'm open for advice, but two of the ones that we've tried out in stores and liked were the Orange Micro Terror and the Fender Super Champ X2.

It would be nice if we could also use them with my Classic 30, although I'm pretty much already getting the AC/DC & Sabbath sounds I currently want/need from the amps two channels.

The Roland Micro Cube stays because it fills an absolute niche. Can grab and go with ease with that little thing. He used it on the back deck the other day while I was grilling out. Very cool.

Anyway.....I'm open for suggestions for quality gear that will be used for years with anticipated future upgrades to guitars and tube amps.

Thanks
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
A used Peavey Vypyr tube 60
It is a 1x12 60 watt hybrid amp. It has a tube power section but it also has the peavey vypyr modeling and FX. They sound really good and it still will give him all the versatility of having a modeling amp but the warmth of a tube power amp. Then get him the Sanpera I or II controller and the FX and modeling are accessible on the fly.

www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VYPYR-60-108957524-i3147336.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mxr' 78' Distortions, definetly a delay I some sort, really anything besides the danelectro one, and pick up a wah. As far as th amp look at some stuff by orange
Decepticons everywhere, decepticons everywhere.
Quote by Robbgnarly
A used Peavey Vypyr tube 60
It is a 1x12 60 watt hybrid amp. It has a tube power section but it also has the peavey vypyr modeling and FX. They sound really good and it still will give him all the versatility of having a modeling amp but the warmth of a tube power amp. Then get him the Sanpera I or II controller and the FX and modeling are accessible on the fly.

www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-VYPYR-60-108957524-i3147336.gc

I really wish that I'd have come here first before I bought our initial gear. I'd have most certainly gone with the majority suggestions of Vypyr tube vs the two Mustangs I bought.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
It really depends on what you're playing. Typically the "staples" of any good pedalboard are a distortion, delay, reverb, chorus and a wah. But again, depending on what you play you may not need one or more of those (I've never heard a wah from AC/DC or Sabbath unless it was a Gov't Mule cover lol). If money is no object the go-tos are:

Distortion- Ibanez TS9 or TS808, or a clone of one like a Maxon.
Delay- Line 6 DD4, if that's overkill a Boss Digital Delay will do you fine.
Wah- The go-to is usually a Dunlop Crybaby but Morleys are good too.
Reverb- Electro Harmonix Holy Grail
Chorus- Boss Chorus Ensemble or MXR Analog Chorus

Mostly you just need to analyze your favorite bands sounds to see what you really need.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
When an amp and a pedal love each other very much...

Without getting too pricey, I'd look at:

Visual Sound Jekyl & Hyde Dist/OD
Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus
MXR CC delay
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park delay
Line6 ToneCore Verbzilla reverb
Red Witch 7 Sisters pedals
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 13, 2014,
Check out the Randall RM series. Its a modular (not modeller) amp that can grow with you and your kid. As you get better and find more amps you like, you add more modules to your collection. They sound great too. They're a lil tough to find, they don't make 'em anymore, but once you get the amp, there are dozens of modules that mimic all the iconic amps and then some.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
yeah the microcube is handy to have around. I have a vox mini3 (similar idea) for a similar reason- i bought it after i bought all my tube amps too keep next to my computer when i'm learning songs etc.

what tube amp did you get? that'll affect what pedals you need.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah the microcube is handy to have around. I have a vox mini3 (similar idea) for a similar reason- i bought it after i bought all my tube amps too keep next to my computer when i'm learning songs etc.

what tube amp did you get? that'll affect what pedals you need.

Peavey Classic 30
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
ok, thanks

that's gonna need a boost for A7X (and likely even VH too). something like a boss sd1, digitech bad monkey. It might even benefit from using a couple of boosts, say something more transparent for rhythm tones for those heavier bands and then the more middy tubescreamer-style thing for leads.

fuzz wouldn't hurt for led zep (and just general classic rock)

probably less immediately important but a delay wouldn't hurt, or a modulation (phaser or flanger for VH).

i think peavey speakers get a bad rep so swapping the speaker at some point might be an idea, too. the speaker can make a pretty massive difference if the stock one isn't so great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd get a Multi FX for your son such as a Zoom G5 or Boss ME and buy some analogue effects yourself so he can see what he likes and then build up his own analogue collection over time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
How about a hybrid set-up of sorts? Run analog drive and boost with something like a Line 6 M5 in the fx loop of the Classic 30?

That would give a lot of decent sounds to experiment with, and to figure out what kind of sounds mod, delay, verb sounds he likes. I think you can find a used M5 in the $125 range.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
There are a few budget pedals that are quite good if you are just fooling around at home.

Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive
Danelectro FAB Chorus
Mooer Reecho delay
Danelectro Fish & Chips graphic EQ

Those are what I would consider must have effects. Later you can always upgrade the ones that aren't really gig worthy (the Dano ones mainly) but they are all more than adequate sonically for home use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
carvin v3m. OR the new line 6 amplifi. you say van halen and avenged sevenfold? LOTS of gain there. it takes a lot of amp to pull that off well. i wold say the carvin is the cheapest amp to pull off all those tones that is 100% tube, but the new amplifi offers compelling value.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Mesa MKIV? $900ish for the combo. it willl do about anything with a timmy (ask cath or greeny or matt, IIRC all three would build you a clone. make sure you get the footswitch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The Jet City JCA2212C is a good small, cheap amp to have around, it covers a lot of ground, specifically it has a good hard rock sound/alt metal sound, like what you want to do. Cleans aren't too bad either, though your Classic 30 will stomp it there, haha.

The new Peavey ValveKing IIs are also quite nice, if you want to do jazzy stuff the VK will be a lot better than the Classic.

As for effects, here are some good general purpose standalones I'd recommend:

Delay: Line 6 Echo Park / TC Flashback / EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
EQ: MXR 10 Band / Danelectro Fish & Chips
Overdrive (Tubescreamer): Hardwire CM-2 / MXR M77 / Way Huge Green Rhino
Chorus: Boss CH-1 / TC Corona
Reverb: Hardwire RV-7

Optional
Phaser: MXR Phase 100 / Hardwire SP-7
Flanger: Boss BF-3 / Mooer Eleclady

I also highly recommend looking at the Line 6 M5 & M9 (if you want to use multiple FX at once). An M pedal can effectively remove your need to get separate pedals at all, except overdrive/distortion as dirt isn't modeled very well yet.

I have an M9 on my decently sized pedalboard, and it completely takes care of my delay, reverb & EQ needs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 14, 2014,