Page 1 of 2
We need this/how was it not a thing before I clicked submit new thread?

Everyone can appreciate some portion of maths, or atleast products(teeheelolpun) of others applying math. I realized UG needed something like this as I was trying to explain the Maxwell Equations regarding Electromagnetism to a friend of mine. He had no calculus background so I basically gave him a crash course in vectors.

This made me think about the aspect of teaching mathematics, which is a completely different beast in comparison to other subjects. As maths is regarded as the symbolic "proofs" for postulates established in other studies. So I felt like everyone on UG/the Pit would be able to gain something/contribute to the plausible discussions we could have in here.

So I ask, how does one condense mathematical concepts into something easily received by the student?

I also, of course, want to discuss the extent to which music can be mathematically analyzed. Not just in the organization of frequency, but the semi-conscious process of analysis by the human brain.

Let this be the thread for Epistomology, utilizing mathematical proof to unite the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, neuro/biochemistry, etymology, and the ongoing conjecture that is theoretical physics

Anything is welcome and open to discussion, as long as it has something to do with proportion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws4o_ViSHNc
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Shredwizard445
I was trying to explain the Maxwell Equations regarding Electromagnetism to a friend of mine. He had no calculus background so I basically gave him a crash course in vectors.

And all the while he's thinking "Dude, just shut up and hand me another beer"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Fine, if a mod sees fit. Close this. I'll searchbar harder next time.

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by severed-metal
This isn't a help thread as much as it is an appreciation for math(s).
So this is a thread for sick fucks then

I'm out
ggg1 ggg3

This can be both I suppose.

Why are people on my case for using the denomination Maths? Isn't that what the Brits call it?

The other thread is a math/science help thread. This is more universally applying math, whilst appreciating it in open discussion. As well as answering the OP, by explaining teaching mechanisms for the hardest(IMO!!) thing to teach.

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
As I have explained before, saying "maths" is objectively incorrect and illogical.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
As I have explained before, saying "maths" is objectively incorrect and illogical.

How? Depends where you're from.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Quote by theogonia777

That's the way language works. If "maths" becomes a widespread and accepted word (which it has in some regions of the English-speaking world), there's no point in saying it's incorrect or illogical. Especially illogical since it's logical enough for people to have adhered to it en masse.

It's like saying that pronouncing the word "gauge" as "gage" is objectively incorrect and illogical.

@Cing Krimson: The usual reasoning is that "mathematics" isn't a plural. Which it isn't, but that doesn't mean "maths" is incorrect and/or illogical.
Quote by Cing Krimson
How? Depends where you're from.

"Mathematics" is an uncountable noun and therefore and abbreviated form would not have an "s" at the end. The reason why "mathematics" ends with an "s" in the first place is because it ends in the suffix "-ics" which indicates that it is a study.

When you abbreviate things by truncating the end of the word, you don't keep letters at the end of the word. Now, if mathematics was a plural, countable noun, then I suppose you would keep an "s" at the end (like if you abbreviated "crocodiles" as "crocs"), but that is not the case here.

And since I know that somebody is going to say something like "there are more than one kind of mathematics and so if you are talking about geometry, calc (which isn't called "calcs", of course), and arithmetic, then that would be three and so it's countable" or something silly like that, I'll just say that that is wrong since each one is a part of mathematics and not a "mathematic" itself.

It's like how you have more than one kind of frost, but you wouldn't say that hard rime, soft rime, and hoarfrost are three different "frosts", now would you?

In fact, the word "mathematic" is not a word, which further shows that mathematics is not a "plural" word but rather uncountable since it can't have a singular form.

While I'm at it, I will also mention that the use of "stats" for the field of statistics is also incorrect for the same reason, but using "stats" to talk about multiple types of statistics (plural of statistic) such as assists, rebounds, and points (basketball statistics) is correct.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Look, things in language don't always make perfect sense. That's why language evolves. Because people start saying things in a different way to what they supposedly are, and it sticks.

Also, I've never seen anyone say "stats" for statistics or claim that mathematics is a plural.
i love how people are arguing semantics in a mathematics thread.

i'm studying maths at UEA and i'm a first year. i've been teaching some fist year computer science dudes their GCSE/A level maths, and i believe you just have to assume they know absolutely nothing. teach differentiation? no. teach algebra, then relationships between x and y, then graphs, then quadratic equations, then gradients, then introduce rate of change.

instead of teaching the methods of integration, start by asking how you can work out the area under a graph.

i still think one of the most important things you'll learn in maths is just teaching people what a term is. most people don't know that 1/3 * 5 is the same as 5/3 or that 3yx = xy3 or basically that the order of multiplication doesn't matter and fractions aren't that complicated.

but i usually think it's good to spark some interest first. like the sum of all consecutive odd numbers

1 = 1^2
1 + 3 = 2^2
1 + 3 + 5 = 3^2
1 + 3 + 5 +7 = 4^2

etc. it's important to establish to the student that they must ask any and all questions possible or they won't succeed.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Let e^{\frac{x}{n}} = \frac{d}{dx}f(u)

^n\sqrt{e^x} = \frac{d}{dx}f(u)

(^n\sqrt{e^x})^n = \frac{d}{dx}f(u)^n

e^x = \frac{d}{dx}f(u)^n

\int e^x = \int \frac{d}{dx}f(u)^n

\int e^x = f(u)^n
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
i've always enjoyed math in a pure learning sense but can't say i've studied it all that far. but one calculus teacher i had always tried to teach by giving you "steps" for solving things, like essentially a flowchart for getting through functions, but never why you would do those steps (i'm suspicious she didn't even know, whenever you'd ask, she would say "just follow the steps!") or how the equations related to the graphs and everything else which was pretty frustrating because it would take a minute to figure out why you would do what she was breezing through and how it changed or related to other concepts and i always had trouble memorizing things if i didn't understand why i was doing them down to the most basic level, so on homework i could figure out and explain the processes to people who had no idea what they just did but it always took me longer to get through a lesson, which is why i really appreciate and enjoy people like this:

Quote by laid-to-waste
i love how people are arguing semantics in a mathematics thread.

i'm studying maths at UEA and i'm a first year. i've been teaching some fist year computer science dudes their GCSE/A level maths, and i believe you just have to assume they know absolutely nothing. teach differentiation? no. teach algebra, then relationships between x and y, then graphs, then quadratic equations, then gradients, then introduce rate of change.

instead of teaching the methods of integration, start by asking how you can work out the area under a graph.

i still think one of the most important things you'll learn in maths is just teaching people what a term is. most people don't know that 1/3 * 5 is the same as 5/3 or that 3yx = xy3 or basically that the order of multiplication doesn't matter and fractions aren't that complicated.

but i usually think it's good to spark some interest first. like the sum of all consecutive odd numbers

1 = 1^2
1 + 3 = 2^2
1 + 3 + 5 = 3^2
1 + 3 + 5 +7 = 4^2

etc. it's important to establish to the student that they must ask any and all questions possible or they won't succeed.

because grasping the concept in relation to everything else you're building up from is so much more satisfying and makes it easier to think and think quickly and basically apply yourself as things go further.

Quote by behind_you
So this is a thread for sick fucks then

I'm out

Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by Pastafarian96

They forgot a constant. And they're integrating a function in u with respect to x so it should be f(u)^n*x+C (assuming f(u) had non-vanishing derivatives in x).

I was reading about Galois representations of automorphisms on elliptic and hyperelliptic curves, and found this interesting paper: https://projecteuclid.org/download/pdf_1/euclid.hmj/1206135658.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Apr 30, 2014,
Quote by jiminizzle
because grasping the concept in relation to everything else you're building up from is so much more satisfying and makes it easier to think and think quickly and basically apply yourself as things go further.

yeah, unfortunately most of the concepts in maths are taught badly imo. if all teachers watched khanacademy videos and just mirrored that, i'd be a happy man.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by theogonia777

MATH(ematic)S

insufferable know it all
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Apr 30, 2014,
Yeah, but mathematics isn't a plural so that argument isn't that solid. But yeah, language and evolution of words and stuff. I've said it ITT a few weeks ago so I won't go into this again.

From the video: "Language, on the vocabulary level, doesn't follow logic."

Last edited by sickman411 at Apr 30, 2014,
it's perfectly fine, as long as you know what it means.
Being a grammar nazi is one thing, being a smartass is another, and I've seen more than enough times that theogonia is one big smartass.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
it's perfectly fine, as long as you know what it means.
Being a grammar nazi is one thing, being a smartass is another, and I've seen more than enough times that theogonia is one big smartass.
Refer to my EDIT3.
Quote by sickman411
Refer to my EDIT3.

My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by MakinLattes
No one gives a flying fuck.

Yeah. I say maths because I tend to go for British conventions and I want to be consistent. That's pretty much the only reason. They both sound equally natural to me and if I opted for American conventions I'd say math.
Last edited by sickman411 at Apr 30, 2014,
To the people actually interested, I'd recommend checking out the Numberphile channel on YouTube if you don't already know it. They make neat videos about mathematical problems, numbers with special properties, etc.

For me, this was one of their best videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by sickman411
Yeah, but mathematics isn't a plural so that argument isn't that solid. But yeah, language and evolution of words and stuff. I've said it ITT a few weeks ago so I won't go into this again.

Nice find. I think that pretty much takes the whole argument and crushes it.

Also, we have the Math Science Help Thread and then we also have a Science Discussion Thread so I don't see what is wrong with having on for math as well.

I will have to say my favorite thing in math is the theorem that states if you add every integer up from 1 to infinity, the answer is -1/12.

Sum of all integers up to infinity is -1/12

Quote by JamSessionFreak
To the people actually interested, I'd recommend checking out the Numberphile channel on YouTube if you don't already know it. They make neat videos about mathematical problems, numbers with special properties, etc.

For me, this was one of their best videos.

Crap you beat me to it....
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

This reminds me of doing thermodynamics in physical chemistry. Except we broke all the rules and we treated all the partial derivatives as variables and just moved them around the equation. The best part was, that without going through all the steps, it worked out in the end. all my engineering friends hated me because I was able to cut the corners there.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Page 1 of 2