Definitely looking to get a 7 Septor (no floyd) string after I graduate. I just have a few questions so I have some time to think it over. I would consider an Interpid 8 string, but all 8 string music I've listened to is just too heavy for me, I don't dig that screamy, throaty singing at all. Perhaps I'm wrong and I haven't looked enough?

US buyer
New, it's just alot easier, especially with Agile.
Budget of approximately $800, will go higher in needed.
Tones I'm looking for, Dream Theater, but I'm looking to play alot of stuff with this guitar, lots of 6 string stuff like Operation Mindcrime, Iron Maiden, Ozzy and some rock like Motley Crue, and AC/DC.

Bridge, I like TOM's, easy to palm mute. Rondo has a pretty limited selection of 7's with toms, how are the cepheus 7 bridges?

Pickups, 707 vs Blackouts vs Cepheus, looked them up a little but didn't find much. Which would do best with the tones I'm looking for?

Neck, it has to be a wide profile, I don' care for thin necks at all. I'm talking nut width, not neck thickness (which needs to be pretty slim).

Scale length, I think 27 is my best bet, 25 might be floppy and 28.625 is just too long for a 7 imo. I hope you agree? I'll probably stay light with the strings, I've only been playing for real for a year.

Fretboard, Maple or ebony? Please refer to tone list, I'm guessing ebony on this one but maple looks so perty...

Finish, BIG concern here, they vary to dang much. Tribal purple finishes, for instance, can be extremely different guitar to guitar. I do not want a boring finish, at all. Should I email Kurt about this when ordering?

Karma, I have the worst karma when buying toys, ever, like ever ever ever. Something ALWAYS has to go wrong. I can't let this happen with this big of a purchase. I'm very concerned about receiving a faulty guitar and not realizing it before the 10 days are up... What do?

I'm pretty sure that's everything, thanks for all the help

EDIT
What do Agile's ship with if you don't buy a case? I'll gladly pay $65 for the douglas case, would you recommend I do so? Is it any good of a case?
Thanks again!
Last edited by JGM258 at Apr 13, 2014,
Quote by JGM258
Definitely looking to get a 7 Septor (no floyd) string after I graduate. I just have a few questions so I have some time to think it over. I would consider an Interpid 8 string, but all 8 string music I've listened to is just too heavy for me, I don't dig that screamy, throaty singing at all. Perhaps I'm wrong and I haven't looked enough?

Try Animals as Leaders and Scale the Summit, both instrumental 8 string bands.

Quote by JGM258
US buyer
New, it's just alot easier, especially with Agile.
Budget of approximately $800, will go higher in needed.
Tones I'm looking for, Dream Theater, but I'm looking to play alot of stuff with this guitar, lots of 6 string stuff like Operation Mindcrime, Iron Maiden, Ozzy and some rock like Motley Crue, and AC/DC.

Bridge, I like TOM's, easy to palm mute. Rondo has a pretty limited selection of 7's with toms, how are the cepheus 7 bridges?

Not exactly true. I see a lot of models with string thru o matics. But the one you're looking at does have the Cepheus. The Cepheus bridges are a lot like older Ibanez string thrus (pre-Gibraltar).

Quote by JGM258
Pickups, 707 vs Blackouts vs Cepheus, looked them up a little but didn't find much. Which would do best with the tones I'm looking for?

The 707s... don't even.... thin and compressed and tinny. Blackouts are a little better. You may just want to get one with Cepheus pups and then save some money aside for real pickups from SD, DiMarzio or Lace.

Quote by JGM258
Neck, it has to be a wide profile, I don' care for thin necks at all. I'm talking nut width, not neck thickness (which needs to be pretty slim).

The Agiles are all pretty similar as far as neck profile. I'd liken them most to ESPs. Not like Ibanez Wizard thin, but thin enough to get by. Their necks are on the wider side.

Quote by JGM258
Scale length, I think 27 is my best bet, 25 might be floppy and 28.625 is just too long for a 7 imo. I hope you agree? I'll probably stay light with the strings, I've only been playing for real for a year.

Por que non es dos? Scale length depends on what you play and what tunings. I'd say for Drop A stuff go a bit extended. 26.5" or 27" is good. Standard tuning stuff can be 25.5". Compound scales though... :drool:

Quote by JGM258
Fretboard, Maple or ebony? Please refer to tone list, I'm guessing ebony on this one but maple looks so perty...

This one is more about feel, honestly. Yes, ebony tends to be a little darker. But it's really up to whether or not you want to feel bare wood under your fingers or glazed wood. I like rosewood personally. But yeah, do what you want.

Quote by JGM258
Finish, BIG concern here, they vary to dang much. Tribal purple finishes, for instance, can be extremely different guitar to guitar. I do not want a boring finish, at all. Should I email Kurt about this when ordering?

This is where Agile gets hit or miss. My friend's Interceptor has a BEAUTIFUL flame maple finish. You can try to email them, but you may just have to roll the dice here for the specs you want.

Quote by JGM258
Karma, I have the worst karma when buying toys, ever, like ever ever ever. Something ALWAYS has to go wrong. I can't let this happen with this big of a purchase. I'm very concerned about receiving a faulty guitar and not realizing it before the 10 days are up... What do?

Set money aside for a professional setup. Unless the bridge is on crooked or something isn't aligned (which will be very obvious) the worst you will get is a bad setup. Maybe some loose wiring that can easily be soldered up. With this, again, just buying aftermarket pups might be best.

Quote by JGM258
I'm pretty sure that's everything, thanks for all the help

EDIT
What do Agile's ship with if you don't buy a case? I'll gladly pay $65 for the douglas case, would you recommend I do so? Is it any good of a case?
Thanks again!

No idea. Probably just a standard box. I'd go with the case just to be safe. HSCs are always nice to have for more expensive guitars like this.

Cheers! Hope I was helpful. Post some NGD pics when you do decide.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Apr 13, 2014,
Kinda random but are the TheStig from airsoftforum?

I will check those bands out for sure.

Maybe I should get the EMG's or blackouts and sell them to some poor fool on ebay?

I don't see myself going past A much at all, I'll most likely use standard and drop C with a A or F/F# on top, more than likely I'll stick with standard for the most part.

Too bad about the finishes being iffy, some of their lizard green guitar finishes rival PRS americans. But you see alot of really nasty stuff too. I'll definitely email him.

Looks like I'll put something aside for a setup and ship with the hardcase to play it safe.

Thanks a ton man, really appreciate it!
NGD thread should be up June or July
Nope. Sorry haha. I don't airsoft.

The only issue with getting EMGs or Blackouts just to swap them is that you will also need to swap everything else. Pots and output jack definitely and you might as well do the wires and switch while you're at it. The active pickups (EMGs and Blackouts) need 25 or 50K pots meanwhile the passives like the Cepheus, DiMarzio and the passive SDs use 500K pots. Then you will also have a battery box in your guitar for no reason.

My Ibanez is a 25.5 and I had no problem doing drop A or D standard stuff, I just put a set of 11-58s on it. But now it stays in standard and I have 10-56s. I'll probably be getting that compound scale Agile soon though lol.

Don't be afraid to look at the big names either if you can. It's always nice to be able to go to a store and pick up the guitar and try it out.

If you have any more questions you can click the link in my sig for "7 Strings and ERGs". That's the 7 string legion forum here and they are all really knowledgeable guys.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Stig give some good advice here. I am going to give some random thoughts.

I'd go for the Septor in a heartbeat if I was in the market for such a guitar.

Purchase the case. Have the money already set aside to get a pro setup done. And have money already set aside to swap out the pups.

Fingerboard material is a matter of choice. There is a place for both maple and ebony. In my past experience ebony give a bit of a blip and a snap to notes that I really like. Maple does as well, just not like ebony. Either way and you will be happy.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by pachap
Stig give some good advice here. I am going to give some random thoughts.

I'd go for the Septor in a heartbeat if I was in the market for such a guitar.

Purchase the case. Have the money already set aside to get a pro setup done. And have money already set aside to swap out the pups.

Fingerboard material is a matter of choice. There is a place for both maple and ebony. In my past experience ebony give a bit of a blip and a snap to notes that I really like. Maple does as well, just not like ebony. Either way and you will be happy.

Thanks, man! I've been playing 7s forever now and ask all these questions to my favorite guitarists who also play ERGs. What's the point of knowledge if you don't share it?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'll go with the passives then. Kinda a dumb question but do natural finishes grow on you? The intrepid 727 maple board, cepheus pups, and natural finish seems to be the only thing that fits my requirements. I think I could do it, just not your average looking guitar.
Quote by JGM258
I'll go with the passives then. Kinda a dumb question but do natural finishes grow on you? The intrepid 727 maple board, cepheus pups, and natural finish seems to be the only thing that fits my requirements. I think I could do it, just not your average looking guitar.

It really is personal taste. All of my guitars are black, just happens to be that way. But I really love the way my Ibanez feels and I started to love its plain look as a result. I think the Agiles in natural finish look badass. If you get bored with it you could always stain the wood yourself. Going from natural it would be very easy.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You may want to hit up the Rondo site, they're taking custom orders right now. You could probably get almost exactly what you want through that.
Quote by Preacher403
You may want to hit up the Rondo site, they're taking custom orders right now. You could probably get almost exactly what you want through that.

Yeah I saw that about 2 days ago. Man that is so freakin' tempting....
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by pachap
Yeah I saw that about 2 days ago. Man that is so freakin' tempting....

I really would, but the extra $450 just kills it for the superstrats. Pretty good deal for the other guitars though.