I've owned an Egnater Rebel 30 head for a few years now. It hasn't been used for a while and wasn't working right when I fired it up the other day. Once I get the volume over 20-30% it gets VERY crackly and the volume drops to almost nothing. When I switch to the dirty channel there is barely any output. I thought it was a bad preamp tube so I bought a new one. The head uses 5 12AX7 preamp tubes. I tried putting the new tube in all 5 positions but it did not help at all. Is it possible I had more than one tube go bad not using it over the years? Any other ideas what may be causing this?
yeah sure. did you try changing the power tubes? (the big ones?). i almost garantee its that especially since you said you have been using it for years. preamp tubes can last many years longer than power tubes. people say under normal use, change your power tubes once a year. in reality, a set of power tubes can last YEARSs. fact is, eventually they will go, and years of use is the culprit.

my first reaction would have been to change the power tubes and then the preamp tubes. unfortunately, rebels are a mofo to change tubes since they use 2 different kinds of power tubes and then preamp tubes. thats a lot of tubes. a disporportionate amount of tubes.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The Rebel 30 has the blend know to choose between el84 and 6v6 tubes. Even with the know turned all the way to el84 or 6v6 I still have the problem. I would think the problem would go away if it was a bad power tube, but I'm not sure. I'm definitely not an amp expert. Will I need to get the amp biased when swapping power tubes?
not if you can buy the same type. i mean that is assuming that the amp is biased correctly to begin with. but techically, if you look at hte tube and buy the same brand and model, you should need to rebias.

conversely, yes. if you buy a differently brand / model, a rebias may be recommended. not mandatory.

your comment may or may not be erroneous. we dont know how that thing is wired. perhaps all tubes affect the output regardless of that knob. we dont know. i am basing my comment 100% on the count that generally the issues you describe are more of a power tube issues than a preamp tube issue. i mean, 9/10 times, swap power tubes in that situation.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
If it makes you feel any better, my Rebel 20 head is doin' the same thing. Thanks to years of reading gg&a threads I immediately assumed power tubes and am not the least bit worried. The power tubes in it are bout a year and a half old and I've played the shit outta this amp in that time. I doubt its a coincidence that both our amps are doing the same thing and both our amps have worn out power tubes. Rest assured...and buy new power tubes. I like a jj el84's and tung sol 6v6's mix. I noticed a small tone improvement with that combo, kinda smoothed it out a lil. Lil warmer too.

Edit: While you're at it, imo, Rebels get along really well with old school GE 12ax7's. Took mine from aggressive growl to intimidating growl.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 13, 2014,
My Rebel did the same. New power tubes solved it. I used JJs all around.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
my renegade's power tubes didn't make it 6 months, as from factory. i just threw some new cheap ass sovteks in (all four tubes 6l6l and EL34). i kind of got sick of the amp and i traded it probably within a few months.

may egnator just puts the shittiest tubes in the amps. mine was under very heavily use though. for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
yeah stock tubes in any amp are meh. unless its boutique. companies just cant afford to dish out that cash for a breakable, perishable item that needs to go through shipping etc.

and yes, engater stock tubes are horrid. atleast their preamp tubes. i would really recommend changing teh gain stage tubes of any egnater at the very least.
____

and yes. crackling, weird behavior, less output or no output, no glowing, weird glowing or weird colors, bad burning smells, amp is abnormally hot in conjunction with smells?....all signs your power tubes are going or gone.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by ikey_
yeah stock tubes in any amp are meh. unless its boutique. companies just cant afford to dish out that cash for a breakable, perishable item that needs to go through shipping etc.

and yes, engater stock tubes are horrid. atleast their preamp tubes. i would really recommend changing teh gain stage tubes of any egnater at the very least.
____

and yes. crackling, weird behavior, less output or no output, no glowing, weird glowing or weird colors, bad burning smells, amp is abnormally hot in conjunction with smells?....all signs your power tubes are going or gone.

before you see signs or smell anything you should already have a new tubes in there. a lot of damage could be done
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thank you all for your replies. I feel a little better now. Did any of you have your amp biased or did you just drop the tubes in and go?
There are some non-boutique amps that come with decent tubes. My old rhythm guitarist had a Laney GH100 and I checked out what was in it when a tube failed and it was full of rebranded JJ's.
Although, in most cases you are correct. OEM tubes in most mass produced amps are rubbish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
preamp tubes do not require a bias.

i had no issue with the stock rubys 6l6 which actually had good review and sounded fine. i opted to go with 2 of the same model, with a matched, balanced pair from dougstubes.com

working well. the preamp tubes HAD to go. the sovtek 12ax7s are not worth using.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Btw, TS, first try simply removing the tubes and plugging them back in. Spray a bit of contact cleaner (not WD40) onto the pins if you have any. It's surprising how many faults that will fix.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification