So, I've made my decision, I've got my money ready, I'm ready to get that Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro. I'm going to use it for a lot of drop tunings (drop d, d standard, eb, maybe drop c), basically metal and hard rock. In terms of sound, I'm aiming towards a Tool sound, but with the ability to play Guns 'n' Roses.

The thing is, the stock pickups aren't the best at sounding like that (maybe G'N'R but not Tool). I'm planning on trying to see if I can get close to that sound while I'm in the store, but I doubt the chances of that actually working.

So, in terms of pickups, what would you recommend to get a tone like Tool's or Slash's?
Quote by KrogerChad
You need a versatile amp to do that before you bother about pickups.

+1

Adam Jones uses a vintage Marshall and a Diezel VH4. Slash uses signature Marshalls no doubt. Not saying you need a Marshall, but the amp does so more to your tone than your pickups. The pickups are more an afterthought to make your base tone from your amp sweeter.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Alright, I'll push the pickups aside for now then. My friend's got this vintage marshall head that he got for $200 at a garage sale, all he did was clean it up and it sounds really awesome. I'll try looking around, maybe I'll snag something cool.

I've currently got a Peavey Vypyr and a Fender Mustang I, do you guys know if I could get a sound that somewhat resembles Tool, Sabbath or G'N'R using those?
Quote by Domguy99
Alright, I'll push the pickups aside for now then. My friend's got this vintage marshall head that he got for $200 at a garage sale, all he did was clean it up and it sounds really awesome. I'll try looking around, maybe I'll snag something cool.

I've currently got a Peavey Vypyr and a Fender Mustang I, do you guys know if I could get a sound that somewhat resembles Tool, Sabbath or G'N'R using those?

You can get a Sabbath sound on the Vypr with the B Kat amp model on dirty but low pregain, with ah fuzz effect on minimal, with bass at noon and cranked mids and treble.
no reason that you can't get Sabbath or GnR out of your vypyr. as long as you understand that kinda close is it then you should be good. experiment with settings until you get what you want. keep in mind that early sabbath is just as much about geezers bass as tony's guitar. they blend for that huge sound.
T00DEEPBLUE I don't really have that money or the amp selection at the moment...so I'm stuck with what I have.

KrogerChad thanks, I'll check it out.

monwobobbo also thanks, but are there any amp models on there that can go G'N'R? I have a hard time with that one...
My advice would be to play a lot, practice well, and develop a sound of your own. For things like Tool, you have to realize that a great amount of the sound isn't the guitar/amp combo, but the studio production. Heavy panning, millisecond delay, layering, and all sorts of other production things are done on the computer to make a decently heavy sound REALLY heavy. Those guitars don't sound like that live.

Find a sound you're happy with, do with what you have, and become a better guitarist.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER