I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Junior in combination with a Line 6 Spider IV 15w, and no matter what i do, I just can't seem to get a good, heavy tone. Like an early Metallica tone. It sounds to me like the Metal and Insane settings on the amp just overlap a clean tone with some heavy static. Yes, I know that the guitar I'm using isn't generally used to play metal, but it's what I have for now. I'm pretty sure it's not the amp that keeps the tone so clean, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?
You're using a Line 6 Spider, what were you honestly expecting?

I hate to sound like an ass, but Line 6 Spiders are notorious for sounding like crap.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 13, 2014,
Get a better amp.

Sorry that's like, really impractical to say, but the solid state Spiders like yours are not known for their tone. If you want a hold off and can't afford a new amp, get a distortion pedal like a Marshall Jackhammer and use that on your amps clean channel. It;s not the right way to do it at all, but it will get you by for under 50 bucks.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You want an amp with a 12" speaker like a Peavey Vypyr 30, used they run $100 or less.

Your guitar is not ideal either, especially if it has P-90's like I think it does
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When I had a Spider IV 15 the only way I could get a heavy tone on it was diming the gain on the crunch channel, as well as diming the bass and mids and setting the treble to taste.
I am in fact planning on replacing either the guitar or the amp soon. I suppose a better question would be which do i replace first to get the desired tone, amp or guitar? So far, it looks like the amp is my main issue?
Get an amp first. Your guitar is not idea, but it will work. The amp is your biggest culprit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a new amp first. If possible, get a tube amp. But just about anything will be better than what you have. Like Robbgnarly said, the Vypyr 30 seems to be popular and cheap. For a little more cash you can get the Vypyr 60 which has a proper 12" speaker and is tube.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9