So I am wanting use my Randall rh200 g2 series in a full stack set up. The best cabs I have are a 16 ohm 100 watt Marshall 1960ax slant cab with Celestion greenbacks on top and a 4,8(stereo) and 16 ohm ,300 watt Crate Gt412st straight cab with Celestion 70 80s on bottom. I'm currently using a 100 watt Valveking head set to 8ohms and both cabs set to 16 and it rocks the house. But it's not a very high gain metal amp it does great with overdrive pedals but my Fullbore metal pedal sounds absolutly horrible through it and for a little while I would like to to get some heavier tones going.So anyways my question is this. I picked up a used Randall head a while back,200 watts and the duel outs are 4-8 ohms with out a switch ,so I assume it is 4 ohm mono,8 ohm stereo. Would it be safe to run both cabs at 16 ohms into the duel 8 ohm out? But also I know the crate cab can handle the wattage, but is that going to be to much power attacking the 4 25watt greenbacks in this marshall cab that I paid a decent chunk of change for a while back. Appreciate any info on this matter
Both cabs at 16 ohm mono. Plug them both into the Randall set to 8 ohm.
You'll be fine.
And please - use paragraphs. That was ****ing hard to read.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So am I right that if the two outs are either 4or8,depending on 1 or2 outs, than each cab will be receiving a 100 watt ,8 ohm signal? Wouldn't that be different then the normal ohm equation of 2x16 ohm cab= 8 ohm head. I ask because I am still not good with figuring ohms.
Yeah, equal impedance means equally spread power. Of course you only get 100W into each cab at full volume. You aint gonna be diming a SS Randall, that would just be dumb. They make 'em big like that so you never have to drive them to full volume, that's the whole point.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by vegetaof9
(...) But it's not a very high gain metal amp it does great with overdrive pedals but my Fullbore metal pedal sounds absolutly horrible through it (...)

The problem is that the Fullbore will sound absolutely horrible through any amp, it's a pretty bad distortion pedal.

I never tried a Randall RH200, but are you sure it can't do high gain on its own? Or at least in the drive channel with an overdrive pedal in front?

Watch this video, see if it can help you dial a nice heavy tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYtXBUS_kwY
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
The crunch on my Peavey Valveking has what I have heard some people refer to as a "buzz saw" like sound to it. The best tones I have achieved are accomplished stacking an OCD and a Tubescreamer with the help of a sonic stomp, on the clean channel. So I am just wanting to experiment with the gear I have on hand. Yes ,dimming the Randall won't be an issue because this perticular model gets this annoying whine when both the gain and volume are sent to high volumes. In gonna give it a whirl tonight after work. Thanks for the help. And yes I have been very disappointed with the fullbore metal from day one,
Retube the VK with JJ's and the buzzsaw will go away. It's mainly the speaker in the combo that is the greatest culprit. Do the right things to a VK and they can be a fine little amp.
There is a plethora of mods out there for the VK too. A VK can really shine, certainly a far better amp than the Randall. Seriously, stick JJ's in the preamp and run it through the greenbacks. You'll never look at the Randall again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When I had a VK 112 I went all JJ's Power and Pre and switched that awful speaker to a HellaTone and it really made an improvement. I also ran a eq in the loop and a TS-9 out front which helped alot.
Cool thanks for the tip. I will try some new tubes, JJs you say? I know little to nothing about tubes.
Yeah, JJ ECC803 in V1 to reduce noise and JJ ECC83S everywhere else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification