Hey Guys.

I currently run a Marshall MG30CFX, and I don't really like it.

Obviously to get a better tone, I would need to upgrade my amp first, as I feel my guitar is fine. But which amp should I get?

I play at my house, that's about it for now, eventually I would like to join a band , but I want a nice amp that can deal with both environments.

Should I buy a head and a cabinet, or just a combo amp? Doesnt the head and cabinet sound way better,but wouldnt i need an attenuator too?

Im after an amp that can get the heavy rock and metal sound pretty good. But it needs to be able to play good on low volumes, but be able to play on high volumes.

Can you guys help me out with this amp knowledge?

Sorry for the noob questions, im not exactly a pro at this.
Whats your budget and location?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by 2Poor4Gibson
$2000ish. Nevada

what kind of tone are you looking for? can you give us a few examples?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what kind of tone are you looking for? can you give us a few examples?

Mainly:
Appetite for Destruction, Guns N' Roses, or any of Slash's tone.
Metallica, their classic, popular stuff. (Master of Puppets, Seek and Destroy, etc.)

And then stuff like Zeppelin and Clapton
Can you specify some bands youd like to sound like?
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

it may have an issue with older metallica, but i would recommend a splawn quickrod for really solid 'metal' to marshall JCM800. best description would be a 'pissed off marshall'

there is OD1/OD2 for all three "gears", three gears, and you can go from marshall JTM45 to a heavily modded marshall.

worth a look. used ~1k USD. i have two of his other amps and love them. (hand built in the US).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Used Splawn Quickrod and a decent 2x12 cab sounds like the ticket here.

EDIT: Ninja'd by another Splawn fanboi
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by trashedlostfdup
it may have an issue with older metallica, but i would recommend a splawn quickrod for really solid 'metal' to marshall JCM800. best description would be a 'pissed off marshall'

there is OD1/OD2 for all three "gears", three gears, and you can go from marshall JTM45 to a heavily modded marshall.

worth a look. used ~1k USD. i have two of his other amps and love them. (hand built in the US).

I like the price tag. Would I would need an attenuator for this to sound good at "bedroom" volume though?
Splawns would almost sound good unplugged.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Used Splawn Quickrod and a decent 2x12 cab sounds like the ticket here.

EDIT: Ninja'd by another Splawn fanboi

The difference between a 2x12 and a 4x12 is simply the volume it can get? Or is there a difference between the sounds of having four or two speakers?
There's a slight difference in bass response. I own both, and I don't mind either, with a tiny preference for a 4x12. The volume difference is very negligible.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
There's a slight difference in bass response. I own both, and I don't mind either, with a tiny preference for a 4x12. The volume difference is very negligible.

Not being a smartass, I honestly want to know. If this is the case, why do a lot of people run through a Marrshall 1960A, instead of a 2x12. Like why do a lot of people choose the 4x12 over the 2x12, and is the price difference exsistant only because there is literally more speaker than in the 2x12.
yeah for those tones personally i'd probably get something marshally/hot-rod marshally, like the guys have been saying. i haven't tried splawn so I can't personally recommend it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If your budget is $2000 get a Marshall JVM410H or a 205H. Ridiculous distortion tones out of those things. They are basically the same, that 410 just has 2 more channels. Then get a 1960A cab.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by 2Poor4Gibson
Not being a smartass, I honestly want to know. If this is the case, why do a lot of people run through a Marrshall 1960A, instead of a 2x12. Like why do a lot of people choose the 4x12 over the 2x12, and is the price difference exsistant only because there is literally more speaker than in the 2x12.

Because the 1960 ks a good cab, and fairly cheap. I do prefer a 4x12. The difference is fairly small, but it is there.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by 2Poor4Gibson
I like the price tag. Would I would need an attenuator for this to sound good at "bedroom" volume though?

attentuatrors are commonly mistunderstood, i will wait for somebody else to chime in. my experence is that it gets rid of the headroom. splawns have master volume knobs, so its not really anything to fuss with.

if you had a JTM45, thats when attentuators come into play, they are non-master volume. the way you get distortion is volume. i have a JTM45 i built and would literally deafen from close range from a volume for distortion. then you use the attentuator, cooks the tubes the same just drops the volume, so for example (not any specific number) if you were at 3 with a jtm45 and wanted the crank the volume, use the attentuator and you would have distortion at 3.

splawns aren't the best if you need to keep under TV volume. they get loud as hell thuogh and are very well built.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 2Poor4Gibson

Dynamic headroom. A 4x12 moves a lot of air for that big punch that some players crave for the heavy stuff. This is not something I need for the music I play and is of no use whatsoever in the bedroom. On stage with a very heavy band it has its place. For your current use I would suggest a closed back 1x12 to start and add cabs for projection as needed later. A JCM 800 and a few choice OD pedals would cover your needs well. Also a 50w Mesa.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Dynamic headroom. A 4x12 moves a lot of air for that big punch that some players crave for the heavy stuff. This is not something I need for the music I play and is of no use whatsoever in the bedroom. On stage with a very heavy band it has its place. For your current use I would suggest a closed back 1x12 to start and add cabs for projection as needed later. A JCM 800 and a few choice OD pedals would cover your needs well. Also a 50w Mesa.

i disagree. if you are buying a cab, IMHO don't go smaller than a 2x12". it limits how much watts you can really have if you bought a bigger amp (k100 is the only celestion i can recall), with two speakers the wattage you to some degree need.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i disagree. if you are buying a cab, IMHO don't go smaller than a 2x12". it limits how much watts you can really have if you bought a bigger amp (k100 is the only celestion i can recall), with two speakers the wattage you to some degree need.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I never met a guitar tube amp that could take out a 1x12 EVM, JBL or Altec 417 though. And since 20 watts and a good 1x12 will easily run with a drummer we need a ton more power because... Why??? Currently he is playing alone in his house and 115 db sounds like a lot of sound. Lots of rampant misunderstandings about why we might choose a bunch of speakers over just one good one.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY