Hello. Just as the title says, I will need to change my amplifier within the next few months (I have a really bad SMART III, look at my profile). All - tube amps (including the rectifier) are preferred, but if there are some really good full solid state or modelling amplifiers you would recommend I am all ears. There is no set price limit, but more than $800 AUD is not practical (due to the high Australian prices, the comparable value in USD is around $650 for new and $700 for used). Let me just say that I need a combo that you can fit in a small sized room, but generally, the more knobs, the better (something the size of a Line 6 Spider IV 30 would be perfect). Sweep - able frequencies would be a very good bonus. No hybrid amplifiers please, unless it combines all of the three other types. I have looked at a couple of Peavies (the Vypyr 60 and VIPs) but I am not sure whether they are tube, hybrid or solid state. I have also looked at some Ashtons, Laneys and Montereys, they are accessible to me at a price lower than regular retail.

Locale: Melbourne, Oz down under, willing to buy used.

Style: I need something very versatile, but as far as amplifier modelling goes it is handled by my multi effects processor. Here, instrument modelling like the Peavey VIPs is a big plus. No signature tone I am going for, as long as I can get a bass roar out of the amp without my effects processor, I am a happy chappy. An amplifier that is very accentuated and clear on clean (the Peaveys fall short here, according to some of the other forum posts I have read here) is desired. I can play fairly well and make no mistakes.

Lastly: I will go for whatever the cheapest amp that satisfies all of the preferences and desires is.

Thanks for the help in advance.
You didn't really say what kinda music you'll mostly be playing with it though.
A good clean, yeah, but like a vox-y chimey, sparkly clean, or a fender-ish more balanced clean?

The vypyr series is all modeling pre's, and all of them, except for the vypyr tube 60 and 120 which use tubes, have a solid state power section.

Also I don't really understand what you mean by sweepable frequencies.
An EQ?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
You didn't really say what kinda music you'll mostly be playing with it though.
A good clean, yeah, but like a vox-y chimey, sparkly clean, or a fender-ish more balanced clean?

The vypyr series is all modeling pre's, and all of them, except for the vypyr tube 60 and 120 which use tubes, have a solid state power section.

Also I don't really understand what you mean by sweepable frequencies.
An EQ?

The first thing you point out is pretty much my problem at its core, hence why I need help. I will need to play pretty much everything (maybe except 'soul' jazz/blues), in both a stage and bedroom environment. Which is why I need a good, loud modifiable clean, from the likes of a Fender Twin to the clean of a Marshall/Peavey/Mesa etcetera (without the use of modelling), thus desiring 'sweepable' frequencies (present in 7 band and 10 band equalization units, you are right) - changing the medium point value of a frequency, for example changing the mid being centered around 5 KHz to 220 KHz. This feature is traditionally only present on low - end solid - state amplifiers, and only for the mid parameter, otherwise it is a studio recording/mixer feature. I was wondering whether you could get amplifiers with sweepable frequencies.

About the Vypyrs, are the tube 60/120s full tube, or is it only the power?

Please excuse the long reply.

EDIT: If I absolutely HAD to choose, the clean would then be more like Fender Twin's than anything else.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by 2Crosser
1. The first thing you point out is pretty much my problem at its core, hence why I need help. I will need to play pretty much everything (maybe except 'soul' jazz/blues), in both a stage and bedroom environment.
2. Which is why I need a good, loud modifiable clean, from the likes of a Fender Twin to the clean of a Marshall/Peavey/Mesa etcetera (without the use of modelling), thus desiring 'sweepable' frequencies (present in 7 band and 10 band equalization units, you are right) - changing the medium point value of a frequency, for example changing the mid being centered around 5 KHz to 220 KHz.
3. This feature is traditionally only present on low - end solid - state amplifiers, and only for the mid parameter, otherwise it is a studio recording/mixer feature. I was wondering whether you could get amplifiers with sweepable frequencies.

4. About the Vypyrs, are the tube 60/120s full tube, or is it only the power?.
1. Alright alright I get why you want a kemper or an axe now
Well yeah, for the sole versatility purpose I'd suggest a kemper, though even being really excited about it I changed my mind after trying one, so by any means spend some time with anything before you decide to buy it.

2. Oooooooh you want a parametric EQ!
Well I've never seen a parametric EQ in a guitar amp.
Actually the only amps I've seen it on are bass amps, so I can't help you with that.
Though I don't get why you wouldn't want a modeling amp, but you started the thread saying you were set for wither an axe or a kemper, which are modelers.
Well the axe is a modeler, the kemper not exactly but the idea and the results are more or less the same.

3. Seriously?
What cheap amps with a even half parametric eq did you see?
I want one!

4. digital pre, tube power stage.

If it didn't have to be something digital, the most versatile setups I can think of start with a Quadraverb 2 (or a G major 2 if you're not into old stuff) plus a midi foot controller, and end with either a 5150 III or an ENGL special edition or an RM100.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
1. Alright alright I get why you want a kemper or an axe now
Well yeah, for the sole versatility purpose I'd suggest a kemper, though even being really excited about it I changed my mind after trying one, so by any means spend some time with anything before you decide to buy it.

2. Oooooooh you want a parametric EQ!
Well I've never seen a parametric EQ in a guitar amp.
Actually the only amps I've seen it on are bass amps, so I can't help you with that.
Though I don't get why you wouldn't want a modeling amp, but you started the thread saying you were set for wither an axe or a kemper, which are modelers.
Well the axe is a modeler, the kemper not exactly but the idea and the results are more or less the same.

3. Seriously?
What cheap amps with a even half parametric eq did you see?
I want one!

4. digital pre, tube power stage.

If it didn't have to be something digital, the most versatile setups I can think of start with a Quadraverb 2 (or a G major 2 if you're not into old stuff) plus a midi foot controller, and end with either a 5150 III or an ENGL special edition or an RM100.

Nice idea breaking the post into numbered points!

1. What is an axe (please do not tell me that you are actually referring to electric guitars themselves, I will die of embarrassment)? And are Kemper amps really that versatile? I have never tried one (the only brands I have tried are mainstream).

2. I forgot it was called parametric... I heard somewhere that you could run electric guitars through bass amps and still sound fine... Also, I never said I did not want a modelling amp, just not hybrids. If the modelling amp is fully solid - state (like the Vypyrs) then by all means tell me please!

3. Beta Aivin BM6, portable 10 watt amp with a semi - parametric mid. Dethtone Evil1, 10 watt portable amp also, has a "talent" knob control which is a combination of a semi - parametric equalization with reverb (as in, it sweeps your frequencies automatically in order to provide less static feedback at high distortion, high reverb levels).

Lastly, it is the first time I am hearing about a "Quadraverb 2" and "G major 2". Please elaborate on those. I do not mind old stuff, vintage is good, and I see used musical equipment in good condition to have more value than brand new.

EDIT: I heard of Kemper before, but now I see the 'Profiler' software thingy. The physical thing itself is something like a Line 6 POD though, right? If I could, I would like to have an AMP for the sake of having one. I mean, where I play live I play through a P.A., and I do have a computer with a great subwoofer system, but just for the sake of it, I would want an amp. If a POD - like device is my true need though, then so be it.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Last edited by 2Crosser at Apr 14, 2014,