Page 1 of 2
Here in Canada college is referred to as college, and university as university. It seems like over there you still will refer to a school as a college even if its the 'University of _____'
Doesn't that get confusing? If you're bud tells you he's going to college, how do you know if its Uni or what you call community college
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I guess they don't really care about the distinction between the two?

here it's easy to tell. Junior college is 2 years before uni, poly starts at the same time as junior college but it's a 3-4 year diploma course and you can transfer to a uni after that if you want, and uni is uni.
cat
Because programs within a university are split up into separate colleges.

Mind your own business.
Quote by Rossenrot
Because programs within a university are split up into separate colleges.

Mind your own business.

at my uni they are split up into faculties, departments, and majors, so...
cat
If someone told me they went to college but did not say which I would just ask. Do they not teach you how to ask certain questions in Canadian colleges?
Last edited by Wormholes at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by guitarxo
why do you want to add negativity to an already shitty world

Look who's being negative now.

University is 5 syllables college is 2->college can be said quicker->Brevity is the soul of wit->Americans are the wittiest in the world huehuehue
Hey now I am really optimistic and happy most of the time but right now I feel shitty because I can't stop sneezing. The world sucks. Also you can shorten university to uni!

my friend's last name is Hue so whenever someone says huehuehue I think of him making a stupid face 3 times
cat
Quote by Wiegenlied
Here in Canada college is referred to as college, and university as university. It seems like over there you still will refer to a school as a college even if its the 'University of _____'
Doesn't that get confusing? If you're bud tells you he's going to college, how do you know if its Uni or what you call community college

because its funny when Americans talk about collage
Why do Canadians call cold on the cob popsicles?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by guitarxo
at my uni they are split up into faculties, departments, and majors, so...

so...what?

Anyways, you have collegiate universities, like Cambridge University and the University of Michigan. Governence of the constituent colleges is shared by the college itself and a centralised administration. Different collegiate universities provide different levels of autonomy to their colleges. It seems that the system is used more often when the university is spread across a larger geographical area.
Who the hell cares? You need to quit hanging out with Aspergers if your friends can get confused about someone saying they go to college at the university of X.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I actually never knew there's difference between college and uni until now. We only have universities here that are divided into many faculties. Single faculties offer different programs.

For instance I'm studying at the University of Ljubljana.
I am enrolled in the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology and I am studying Chemistry - the other programs are Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Technology and Technical Safety.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I actually never knew there's difference between college and uni until now. We only have universities here that are divided into many faculties. Single faculties offer different programs.

For instance I'm studying at the University of Ljubljana.
I am enrolled in the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology and I am studying Chemistry - the other programs are Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Technology and Technical Safety.

It's the same thing in Portugal. And when someone says they're going to uni over here, they literally say they're "going to faculty", so it would probably be the same.

Also, JamSession, I know in the UK they're actually completely different things, and college is like the last few years of school, before you go to uni. So the difference isn't really the same in different places.
Linguistic conventions, I'm assuming. What answer were you expecting, TS?

Were you expecting all the Americans to go "GOOD LORD, HE'S RIGHT! I'll ring everyone and let them know we're changing to the proper way!"?
Quote by Wiegenlied

It will usually be pretty indicative if you know your "bud"
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I CANT HANDLE CULTURAL DIFFERENCES AAAAAAHHHHHH
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by morbidguitar
based on what ive just read, 99% of you people haven't made it to high school yet.

Have you made it to high school? I only ask because you'd need 100 people in the sample in order to have a valid 99%, as you can't have 'bits' of people.
when is the distinction useful in everyday conversation?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
when is the distinction useful in everyday conversation?

It is the the UK where college is where you do your A-levels, and prior to uni. It's a substantially different type of institution and qualification you get in college and uni in the UK.

But of course the difference is that that's not how it is in the US, hence the different use of the words. It's really not a major issue.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Have you made it to high school? I only ask because you'd need 100 people in the sample in order to have a valid 99%, as you can't have 'bits' of people.

Not true.
PM me for newts
Quote by Wiegenlied

Because people say so. Also we know who the stupid people are so we know who is going to community college already
Americans, you can call universities and colleges both colleges if you want, but you have to see how weird that looks to others. It would be like calling socks and shoes simply socks. And then someone talking about how they're going to put their socks on and then go out to work. It just sounds weird.

But I guess you guys wear shoes around your homes anyways, so that's already weird.
Quote by Wiegenlied

Well, the reason for this is because a lot of our universities are divided into "colleges". So, my school is the University of River Falls, and it has 4 colleges ("College of Business", for example). But that doesn't mean you ONLY take classes that are considered "business" classes, if you're in the "College of Business". So, CoB includes all departments relating to business, like accounting, management, etc.
But if a small is really small (like a community college), it doesn't make sense to divide the school up into separate "colleges". Instead, they just have several small departments. Usually, community colleges are this way.

So, people just kind of blur the two, and "college" became a slang term for anything post-secondary.

Usually, you know because your buddy will say, "I'm going to college next year". And then you say, "Yeah? Where are you going?". And he says something like, "I'm going to New Roberts CC" (he's going to community college). Or he says, "I'm going to Wisconsin TC" (he's going to a trade school, a "technical college"). Alternatively, he says something like, "I'm going to the University of Madison" (he's going to a 4-year university). Make sense?
Quote by metal4eva_22
Americans, you can call universities and colleges both colleges if you want, but you have to see how weird that looks to others. It would be like calling socks and shoes simply socks. And then someone talking about how they're going to put their socks on and then go out to work. It just sounds weird.

But I guess you guys wear shoes around your homes anyways, so that's already weird.
Are you serious? The U.S. college and university systems aren't the same as in other countries. There's no confusion except for your own.

And I don't wear shoes in the house. Most people I know don't. Is it so hard to understand that people may or may not do or speak the same way as you?

Shit thread, shit topic. Try using google next time.
Quote by metal4eva_22

That analogy was terrible.

And a lot of Americans consider it rude to leave your shoes on when you're in the house, even more so if it's not your house. The only "shoes" most Americans wear inside are "slippers" in the winter, because socks can only keep your feet so warm when it's 17F (-8C) outside.
As people have said before, universities have colleges that are broken up into different departments and faculties within those departments. It seems some people call the second half of high school college, or community/technical/vocational schools college. Who gives a shit, contextually it's clear what one is referring to.
Quote by seanlang01
The U.S. college and university systems aren't the same as in other countries.

I know. Other countries actually try to teach their students something valuable.
Quote by metal4eva_22
I know. Other countries actually try to teach their students something valuable.

You're being an asshole now. Are you one of those guys who just tries to make fun of America, regardless of whether you actually understand what you're talking about?
Quote by metal4eva_22
Oh so you're just an asshole. Gotcha.
Page 1 of 2