Hello all. I like to play a classical guitar in Open E.

E-B-E-G♯-B-E

The problem is, not in my voice range. My ideal key is probably G or A.

My goal - to have the same exact tuning format as Open E, except in G or A. So basically a guitar tuned a:

G-D-G-B-D-G

or

A-E-A-C#-E-A

That means I have to tune it way up, or way down. When I try to tune way up, the strings are too tense or they break. If I tune way down, the lowest I can get to is a B before it's too loose to play.

(I know there are different ways to tune an Open G or Open A, but for specific reasons, I aim to do it in the above format)

(I also don't want to use a Capo because I like to slide to the 12th fret, and using a Capo makes it hard to slide (to the 14th or 15th fret).)

Anyone have any ideas for this specific problem? I was thinking of using different/wrong strings to keep the tension normal??

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by BiscuitTime at Apr 14, 2014,
String makers such as D'Addario have tension tables that would enable you to figure out what string gauges to buy. Or you could get a requinto. These have about a 22" scale and a typically tuned a fourth up from a guitar, ie A-a, using slightly lighter gauge strings. I use standard nylon guitar strings on mine and tune it a minor third up, G-g.