Heey
Just to put it out there, this is for me personally to record for my enjoyment, not bands, cds or anything like that.

Im going to buy the shure pg57 (step down from sm57). As I said before this is only for me, so I dont need top of the range lots of money mics and interfaces. I just want to run the mic into my pc through audacity or something. So to save me splashing out money on a interface, could I just buy a xlr to usb cable? I know you cant do anything with them like you can an interface, I dont need to listen to what im recording! (I can kinda hear it since ive got a freakin loud marshall valve halfstack in front of my face!)

So is it worth it?

Many thanks

(The cable i was looking at) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0050CEEIW?vs=1
It will not sound good.
If you don't need it to sound good though it'll do fine.

But willn't you be recording a track on top of another?
Because if that's the case you'd be better off with a cheap but full featured audio interface.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I assume this thread means you have chosen to ignore the advice given in your previous thread, the advice you were told to read in the sticky, AND the advice I gave you in response to the PM you sent.

We're trying to help you, maybe you should help yourself and actually listen to the advice you are being given.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Check your main profile page - I replied yesterday afternoon

(In case you didn't realise, the PM system on your main profile is different to the PM system that's part of the forums)
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Apr 14, 2014,
Pretty sure a XLR to USB cable wouldn't work anyway because pretty much every mic needs SOME kind of PreAmp.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Those cables are terrible if they even work at all. PG57 is pretty awful too.

Cheapest decent option for micing your amp is a Blue Icicle interface and one of the GLS 57 clones. But unless you have a stellar amp you'd probably be better off grabbing a guitar link and using amp sims (the go to option for "cheap").
^ ow yeah, didn't really think about that.
Yeah TS, do that, it's simpler and cheaper and it's most likely gonna sound better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I can't fathom why you'd want to spend money on a half-decent branded mic just to take the cheapest option possible to route it into your computer - you may as well buy a horrid microphone as well. A horrid microphone into a half-decent interface will yield better results.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan