Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a used ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe in Purple (always wanted a high-ish end EC in Purple) and I was after advice on drop tuning it.

My band plays originals in Drop G# and covers in Drop G/B, Drop A#and Drop B. I'm currently using a Baritone for the Drop G# stuff but was after advice on getting down to A# as these only have a 24.75" neck and what gauge strings to use (10-60 Zakk Wyldes?
). Dont want to be playing with spaghetti, although that might be the case.

I wanna buy it because its something I've always wanted and its discontinued but I'd like to be able to utilise it in my band, play shows etc.
If you're set well, good for you, though it'd be reeeally impractical for that stuff.

I have a 25.5" scale tele and .12-.62 are a bit light for C and the low one gets very sloppy when I go to drop A#.

So, something bigger than .12-.62 if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
72 may be overkill, but I'm using 64 for drop A on a 26,5" 7-string, so you may need something similar for A# with a shorter scale, possibly 66.
You may have some problem with strings that big though.

I mean they'd do fine, maybe even tight if not dropped, but I've never seen a non baritone 6 string with a nut and a bridge fitted for strings that big, so that'd not be ideal either.
Also, I wouldn't wanna be the one to set that guitar to play nice with them strings.

I still think it'd be a bad idea to get that guitar to do that stuff.
I mean it's cool and all and I'd get the guitar if it was so important to me but I wouldn't use it to do something of that kind.
It's already hard to play in C with a 25.5" neck, I really doubt it'd be more comfortable to play drop A or A# on a 24.75".
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd look up the tensions for the different gauges and tunings, there are a few different sites you can use to do this, just google it. That's how I figured out what set to get for playing in C# on my SG
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Tunings that low are just silly...

But something like 12's would work. But take it to someone that knows how to set up guitars properly. otherwise you could end up with a broken neck (guitar, not you)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Or you could always let the bassist do what their there for................. Just put bass strings on it if you want to tune it like one.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I use 11s in standard, so i would think you would need strings so big that the dont fit in your tuners.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Nile uses uses 24.75 scale Deans in Drop A and the lowest string is 70 if I remember correctly. That should give you some reference how big strings you need for that low tunings in short scales.

DR has 13-65 set, which would otherwise be optimal but the next thickest string is a stupid 56 which is MASSIVELY tighter than rest of the strings. Try D'Addario 13-62 first. It might be loose for Drop A but Drop A# it could work just fine. If the low string is too loose get a bigger string separately. Though tread carefully, too thick strings may start to sound boomy, unless thats exactly what you are after.

Tunings that low are just silly...

Come on, cut the elitist bullshit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 14, 2014,
Firstly, Ltd 1000s are amazing! Since it's a shorter scale length you need bigger strings than if it were on a 25.5.

With that said for drop A I would recommend at least 70 on the bottom end. And to be honest if you want that low of a tuning you really should just tune up your baritone maybe? I would feel bad putting that big of strings on my deluxe. You will more than likely need to file the posts to fit the string and file your bridge to fit too.
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
Quote by Ultima117
Firstly, Ltd 1000s are amazing! Since it's a shorter scale length you need bigger strings than if it were on a 25.5.

With that said for drop A I would recommend at least 70 on the bottom end. And to be honest if you want that low of a tuning you really should just tune up your baritone maybe? I would feel bad putting that big of strings on my deluxe. You will more than likely need to file the posts to fit the string and file your bridge to fit too.

Well, he did say that he wants another guitar for... errr... higher tunings and use it live while his baritone guitar stays in überlow Drop G. Switching tunings live on same guitar is not really efficient, not to mention the intonation issues.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
"Higher" tunings, haha. Ya, I guess I wouldn't want to put that stress on an ec 1000, but I'm sure it's been done before.
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
Something between a 62 and a 66 would be good for a low A#. I definitely wouldn't recommend anything in the 70s.

Something around 12 is good for a high C. Maybe even 11, but I like being able to bend easily. Right now I'm using an 11 for a high D in a few of my guitars and I think it's too tight.

Also keep in mind that the EC-1000 you get will probably have an Earvana nut, which isn't really ideal to cut deeper. Of course if you want to do it right you'll get a new nut cut altogether, but just a heads up.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 14, 2014,