Needless to say the 81/85 are far better than my stock passive EMGs. But I play through a Peavey Vypyr 30 and my guitar Is a schecter damien 6. Will upgrading the pickups make a considerable difference with my equipment? I am new to electric guitar so go easy on me.

I cannot upgrade amp because my amp is brand new
Schecter Damien 6

Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by Ayushyadav at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by Ayushyadav
Needless to say the 81/85 are far better than my passive EMGs. But I play through a Peavey Vypyr 30 and my guitar Is a schecter damien 6. Will upgrading tje pickups make a considerable difference given my equipment?

Wouldn't you have to cut through wood to add a battery compartment? Or am I wrong?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Wouldn't you have to cut through wood to add a battery compartment? Or am I wrong?

I don't know man I will be getting it done at the guitar shop. You sure about this cutting thing? Its a new and my first electric guitar.
Schecter Damien 6

Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Ayushyadav
I don't know man I will be getting it done at the guitar shop. You sure about this cutting thing? Its a new and my first electric guitar.

If you are going to active pickups you will need to route a battery box for the battery they need.

I say you should upgrade from EMG altogether

Get REAL pickups. SD, DiMarzio, Lace. Anything but an 81/85.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
If you are going to active pickups you will need to route a battery box for the battery they need.

I say you should upgrade from EMG altogether

Get REAL pickups. SD, DiMarzio, Lace. Anything but an 81/85.

WTF.

I hope you were joking. Most guitars have room for the 9V in the control cavity. Tell some kid to cut his guitar up...

Keep in mind when you switch to actives you'll need to replace the pots as well. 25k I believe.

EMG's are quiet and hit an amp hard. It all depends on what type of sound he is after. I know he have a vypyr... but whats to say he won't upgrade his amp in a year or two with the same guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
WTF.

I hope you were joking. Most guitars have room for the 9V in the control cavity. Tell some kid to cut his guitar up...

Keep in mind when you switch to actives you'll need to replace the pots as well. 25k I believe.

EMG's are quiet and hit an amp hard. It all depends on what type of sound he is after. I know he have a vypyr... but whats to say he won't upgrade his amp in a year or two with the same guitar.

You can put a 9V battery in the control compartment, but if it isn't properly secured a good shake could mean shorting something out and damaging the guitar.

I was, however, being a bit sarcastic with my comment about EMGs. I'm not a fan of them but whatever. His choice

EDIT: It also would be easier for him just to get better passives. For 81/85 money you can ge a lot from the passive pickup department.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
You can put a 9V battery in the control compartment, but if it isn't properly secured a good shake could mean shorting something out and damaging the guitar.

I was, however, being a bit sarcastic with my comment about EMGs. I'm not a fan of them but whatever. His choice

EMG hater...

A piece of foam wrapped around the battery does the trick. You definitely don't want it rattling around.

Everything is preference. I'd at least ask what he likes to play and what tuning.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
EMG hater...

A piece of foam wrapped around the battery does the trick. You definitely don't want it rattling around.

Everything is preference. I'd at least ask what he likes to play and what tuning.

I'll admit EMG is getting better. I like the 57/66 set.

To the OP, upgrading your pickups actually won't change your sound that much. I'd upgrade amps before pickups. The Vypyr 30 is nice, but I'd get something with a full 12" speaker first.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214

Hey, haven't you seen what amazing things MacGyver has done with a duct tape? 9v battery is nothing.

TS, EMG HZ-4 is quite crappy pickup, thin and very low output. EMG 81/85 or some other combo (Or Duncan Blackouts) would be a big upgrade. Though if its worth it with Vypyr 30 I cant really say.

Do take a note that EMG 81 is not a direct swap to HZ. HZ is afterall just a passive pickup so all the pots and jacks have to be changed if you go active. Are you certain that you want to go active route when there are a lot of great passives around?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I play mostly metal bands like iron maideb metallica bfmv dream theater a7x. Occasionally some greenday.

I am not keen on changing the pots already. thr guitar is barely 2 months old.

I am trying to keep my budget under 120$. Can you recommend some pickups for me then (active or passive)?
Schecter Damien 6

Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Ayushyadav
I play mostly metal bands like iron maideb metallica bfmv dream theater a7x. Occasionally some greenday.

I am trying to keep my budget under 120$. Can you recommend some pickups for me then (active or passive)?

For clarification, EMG set comes with everything, pots and jacks so if you are comfortable in ripping the old electronics out you can put new ones in. In case of EMG its mostly solderless swap too. But since active and passive pickups are not compatible (atleast not easily) with each other you have to change both neck and bridge pickup which drives up the cost.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Ayushyadav

For good high output stuff check out Seymour Duncan. Listen to sound samples of each pickup and use their Tone Wizard pickup finder: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/

Plugging your spec it seems they recommend a Custom/'59 set. Not bad. That will run you about $160 though...
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Duncan distortion is a good pick-up. Stay away from the Invader... its muddy.

I mainly use Seymour Duncan so I can't comment on the other brands.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by TheStig1214
The Vypyr 30 is nice, but I'd get something with a full 12" speaker first.

You mean like, maybe, a Vypyr 30? All Vypyr combos have 12" speakers except the 15.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You mean like, maybe, a Vypyr 30? All Vypyr combos have 12" speakers except the 15.

I thought the Vypyr 30 had an 8" speaker?

Must be bad info.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214

Must be bad info.

No, its 12 incher. 15 is the small practice amp though 30 is not exactly massive either.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by TheStig1214

Must be bad info.

Yep.

To TS, why exactly do you think you need to upgrade? What is it you want to accomplish?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
To TS, why exactly do you think you need to upgrade? What is it you want to accomplish?

Yeah this.
I expected a distortion with more bass than what I am getting
Schecter Damien 6

Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Ayushyadav

The pickups won't give you more distortion, maybe a little more bass. I think you're looking for a better amp or an EQ.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
The pickups won't give you more distortion, maybe a little more bass. I think you're looking for a better amp or an EQ.

Well, yes and no. Hot pickups do drive to front end of the amp harder just like clean boost or OD pedal would so result is more distorted sound though if that is a good thing or not depends on amp and situation. HZ is rather low output so switching to hotter pickups may result in touch more punch.

Case in point, with my Randall when I use my Cort Z4 with X2N I need my gain bit over half-way only and it sounds punchy. When my K47 had the EMG HZ-7 even when I had the gain maxed out it still somehow managed to sound wimpy despite the distortion.

*edit* Now that I mention it TS if you want pickup that just pushes the amp hard get Dimarzio X2N. Though cleans are problematic, depending on amp you may have to toy with your guitars volume knob or it pushes the cleans into mild crunch.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by Ayushyadav

I'm unconvinced a pickup swap is going to give you what you want.
Charles Darwin
Quote by MaaZeus
Well, yes and no. Hot pickups do drive to front end of the amp harder just like clean boost or OD pedal would so result is more distorted sound though if that is a good thing or not depends on amp and situation. HZ is rather low output so switching to hotter pickups may result in touch more punch.

Case in point, with my Randall when I use my Cort Z4 with X2N I need my gain bit over half-way only and it sounds punchy. When my K47 had the EMG HZ-7 even when I had the gain maxed out it still somehow managed to sound wimpy despite the distortion.

*edit* Now that I mention it TS if you want pickup that just pushes the amp hard get Dimarzio X2N. Though cleans are problematic, depending on amp you may have to toy with your guitars volume knob or it pushes the cleans into mild crunch.

You keep mentioning that the HZ is low output, which wasn't my experience with it at all, perhaps it was just the HZ-7? I had an H4 and it had a ridiculous amount of output. Still sounded like garbage but it hit the amp super hard.

TS, I think that you may just be seeing one of the downsides of the Vypyr, it is kind of thin, which sometimes makes it seem like it is lacking low end.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
You keep mentioning that the HZ is low output, which wasn't my experience with it at all, perhaps it was just the HZ-7? I had an H4 and it had a ridiculous amount of output. Still sounded like garbage but it hit the amp super hard.

The Cort Z4 came stock with HZ H4 and I would not call it considerably hot because the stock pickups my LTD came with (the ESP LH150 or something) are hotter. Tonezone is something I would describe as hot in my standards.

But you are right, HZ-7 is even lower output. That pickup is just piece of shit and no matter what amp you use I suggest anyone should change them away ASAP.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
TS- what tuning and string size do you use?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Ayushyadav

Considering both your amp and guitar are relatively cheap, and your budget is relatively low, I would point you in the direction of DiMarzio. They are good pickups that cost less than SDs or EMGs, generally.

The "standard" DiMarzio set (the set usually found stock in guitars) is the Tone Zone / Air Norton. I would recommend it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EMG make a battery eliminator. You don't actually have to fit a battery inside the guitar if you don't want to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
d
Quote by MaaZeus
The Cort Z4 came stock with HZ H4 and I would not call it considerably hot because the stock pickups my LTD came with (the ESP LH150 or something) are hotter. Tonezone is something I would describe as hot in my standards.

Well we can agree on the Tone Zone, definitely hot (and my favorite pickup ).

I guess it is just a case of YMMV, the H4 I had in my LTD was obnoxiously loud and hit the front-end of my amp so hard that I got a suitable overdrive sound on my clean channel no matter where I set the gain. Who knows? Regardless it is a lousy pickup.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I gotta say though, I think it's a false economy. I am actually quite fond of EMG's because of the low noise factor, especially in a gigging situation. Apart from that it's not gonna make that big of a difference with that amp, well, nothing good. I'd just grab a half decent passive pup like the others are recommending. With that amp the law of diminishing returns is gonna set in pretty early.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tone zone or x2n, which one do I buy? I have to put them at both neck and bridge?
Schecter Damien 6

Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by R45VT
WTF.

I have swapped batterys into every time I tried i NEVER had to route anything out. I have fit 2 9v batterys in back for 18v. Don't worry.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
EMG make an 18V version of their battery eliminator too btw.

I use rechargeables and have a charge socket on the back of the guitar. I started doing that before I'd even heard of their eliminator. I don't even think they made them at the time. I'm very tempted to make my own battery eliminator but I think it might be a bit of a pita at gigs because I swap guitars a fair bit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Offworld92
Considering both your amp and guitar are relatively cheap, and your budget is relatively low, I would point you in the direction of DiMarzio. They are good pickups that cost less than SDs or EMGs, generally.

The "standard" DiMarzio set (the set usually found stock in guitars) is the Tone Zone / Air Norton. I would recommend it.

i have two RG Prestiges with the same specs, one came with the tone zone/red velvet/Air norton. the other with a Crunch Lab/Liquifier (what john john petrucci uses, comes cheaper as a set) and it is IMO so much better than the previous guitar with the tonezone/RV/air norton. the other will be soon to get another set, i just know what i want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have two RG Prestiges with the same specs, one came with the tone zone/red velvet/Air norton. the other with a Crunch Lab/Liquifier (what john john petrucci uses, comes cheaper as a set) and it is IMO so much better than the previous guitar with the tonezone/RV/air norton. the other will be soon to get another set, i just know what i want.

I know the CL is very popular, I just don't like it at all. It sounds super bland and boring to me. And TS is looking for more bass, which the TZ will deliver, lol.

Regardless, Youtube is your friend, TS.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X