Hi,

I've been playing for a few years now. I am not a gigging guitar player, I picked up the guitar as a hobby so that I could mess around and do my own thing. I play mostly classic rock/metal music from ACDC to Slayer and some melodic death metal like Amon Amarth and Insomnium. Right now my practice amp is just a 30 watt Marshall MG. I also have a Peavey Renown 400 (not sure what year), which can give me some nice tones, but it's heavy as hell so I don't find myself using it too much.

So I'm looking for a decent amp. Something that's fairly versatile; something that can give me a nice distorted tone for the Slayer music and can also give me nice clean tones (My MG doesn't really do any of this). I don't need a high end amp. I was looking at the Roland Cube-80GX, which seemed like a decent amp that I could use to practice. It's a lot lighter than my Peavey. I'm in Canada, and these are in the neighborhood of $400 new. I am also considering a Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube, which seems to be a little more expensive than the Cube, if I'm not mistaken.

Another thing - I honestly don't know much about my Renown 400. I can't find a ton of information online about its value. Would a Cube 80GX be a "step down" from it?

You can throw other amps at me too - solid state's fine. Tube is preferred but I don't want to spend a ton of money. I guess you can suggest anything under $800 USD that I can consider.

Guitar is an ESP E-II Horizon with JB/59 pickups, mahogany body, if that makes a difference to your recommendations.

Appreciate any input.

EDIT: I am ok with either used or new. However, used gear is hard to come by where I am.
Last edited by rwt147 at Apr 14, 2014,
Used JCM2000.

Great amp and you'll probably have a few hundred left over after that purchase.

They sell for around $500.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Either a JCM2000 DSL with a boost and a half decent cab, or a vypyr tube 60 (or tube 120 head plus a nice cab if you like the half stack idea), or a Jet City JCAwhateverpower, again either combo or half stack depending on what you like better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check out these as well. The JCM 2000 may end up being a little out of my price range by the time I buy a cab along with it, but I'll definitely do some research and check it out.