I am using tubescreamer and noise gate with amp. When i suddenly mute the strings noise gate doesn't cut the sound immediately and then there is this short 1-3sec long feedback sound (or smth like it). This was not the case before.

So i opened the back of the amp with it being turned on and with a pencil i touched all the pre amp tubes. When i touch second tube from the right side there is this sound coming from speakers, something like "tiing" "tiing". Is it possible that the tube is microphonic? I bought the amp 1 year ago it was new. I've read on the internets that the second tube from the right governs the lead channel distortion, is this true? Then it would make sense.

So the questions are:
1. if i change the tube it must be the exact same tube? This tube is JJ ECC83s. All three tubes on the right side are JJ ECC83s and all tubes on the left are some ruby tubes.
2. When i change the tube do i need to rebias the tubes? I have no idea when this should be done.
3. it seems i can't remove any of the preamp tubes even if i pull them really hard, even the plate that the tubes are mounted on starts to bend. Any tips on this?

Thanks!
Last edited by Reages at Apr 14, 2014,
Are you talking about the large 4 tubes or the preamps that are laying horizontal?

The preamp tubes do not need to be biased. You can use whatever 12AX7 you like. Be aware V1 will always have a bit of microphonic to it.

Switch the tubes around to see if the concern stays with the tube or the socket. Easy way to tell.

For #4- You need to wiggle the tubes, they are in there and that board does flex a bit. I owned 3 or 4 of them and never broken one. Best is to wiggle in a circular motion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 14, 2014,
It is the 6 preamp tubes, i will try switching them and see what happens.
I highly doubt it's that tube. If that tube was bad your lead channel would sound like garbage.
Also make sure the amp is off when taking out/putting in tubes

1)No, but generally you try to stick with the same type 12Ax7, 12Au, etc...the suffixes generally tell the gain/characteristics of the tube, 12ax7 being the highest gain..I've tried all brands of tubes and my favorite are groove tubes and JJ 12ax7 for preamp and 6L6 groove tubes.

2). No matter the amp you don't bias preamp tubes(the little guys) and with this amp in particular you do not need to bias the power tubes. I have spoken quite a bit with Peaveys repair guy and he said the 6505+ are stuck at a bias of 20ma (pretty cold)...so you can put any 6L6 in, it just won't run them "hot". so unless they've redesigned them within a year, that's how it is.

3). Preamp tubes have the little cover on them. Remove it with a Philips and gently tug the tube out. Power tubes have the "clips". They hurt my fingers, but maybe I'm a pansy...you need to bend them off the tube with one hand and with the other gently rock the tube out (with a clean cloth so you don't get finger oils on the tube....otherwise the tube will burn out
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
from what he is describing it does sound like a preamp tube. Either that or the threshold/delay got messed up on his noisegate.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I tried switching the tubes and nothing changed, i'm pretty much sure that it is the noise gate. I tried the noise gate on a different amp and there was no difference with it turned on or off.
Quote by Reages
I tried switching the tubes and nothing changed, i'm pretty much sure that it is the noise gate. I tried the noise gate on a different amp and there was no difference with it turned on or off.

Which noise gate do you have?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Which noise gate do you have?

Boss NS-2, all lights and stuff on it works correctly except the noise suppressing feature
Quote by Reages
Boss NS-2, all lights and stuff on it works correctly except the noise suppressing feature

What are your settings? Decay should be at minimum. Threshold around half way or so.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
What are your settings? Decay should be at minimum. Threshold around half way or so.

Threshold at max, decay at a point where it cuts the sound as fast as possible without cutting the actual guitar sound (knob is set at about 3 o'clock). I use it on reduction mode. Right now i turn everything to max and the pedal does nothing.