Hey guys, I've been looking for a cab to run my recently purchased Carvin X100B out of. Ebay is giving me a few old cabs that I really like but I was wondering if anyone knows any brands that sell affordable cabs that don't sound like crap. ~$350 is my budget and most cabs I've found that impress me fall well outside that range. Any thoughts?
This is obviously not going to apply everywhere but I can get a Line 6 cab in my local gear exchange with 4 V30s for that much exactly. Basically anything with V30s will be good.

EDIT: I just found it. $200.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Apr 14, 2014,
Harley benton G412 vintage.
Or just have a look at your local craigslist for used stuff.

For that price you'll be lucky to find a 4x12 with v30s or t75s or any decent set of speakers but I'm sure you can pull it off.
So yeah, think about these old cabs on ebay if your budget's not gonna grow.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you are going used you can pick up a Marshall 1960a or an Avatar for 350 if you watch your local ads. I think Carvin has a few 412s that are solid wood that you can find around 250-300 used.

I'd avoid any of the new cabs at that price as it's most likely all mdf with budget speakers. In the 350 range is where you get QUALITY full ply celestion equipped 1x12 cabs new. And if you are going to gig with it MDF is by far the worst choice. Moisture will ruin it quickly. It'll crack if it bangs around in the back of a van and don't baby it. All the good cabs are mostly solid ply birch all around.
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 14, 2014,
All of the Carvin cabs have been Birch plywood for years. No MDA.

If you're in LA, you can have one of mine for $250, great condition, G12s, I believe.

Honestly, it's not difficult to find a really good used cabinet for something within your budget; used 4x12s, while not exactly a dime a dozen, can be had for cheap money because they're declining in popularity. They're too big, too heavy, they beam treble, they produce muddy bottom end. In much of today's live playing, the sound guys are forcing low stage volume, putting a mike up to the grill cloth and running that sound out through the PA.

Brand names mean little in terms of construction. In fact, Marshall is far from one of the best in that area. Building 4x12 cabinets isn't science; it's just carpentry, and a lot of it is done by machine. Fancy corner building doesn't mean much, either. Those videos of a pickup truck running over the finger joined, braced corner using exotic glue? Notice that the rest of the cabinet would have been toothpicks by the end of that. Almost every 4x12 is 30 x 30 x 14, give or take, with a chunk of wood brace running from the center of the baffle to the middle of the back panel. The speakers inside determine the "tone" of the cabinet.

A few builders make cabinets for a number of manufacturers, with a couple of cosmetic differences and the logos all that distinguish them one from the other. And yet we'll see one being sold for $400, the same cabinet with the same speakers going out for $900 from a "higher end" name brand.

Ya pays your money, ya makes yer cherce.
Quote by dspellman
All of the Carvin cabs have been Birch plywood for years. No MDA.

If you're in LA, you can have one of mine for $250, great condition, G12s, I believe.

Honestly, it's not difficult to find a really good used cabinet for something within your budget; used 4x12s, while not exactly a dime a dozen, can be had for cheap money because they're declining in popularity. They're too big, too heavy, they beam treble, they produce muddy bottom end. In much of today's live playing, the sound guys are forcing low stage volume, putting a mike up to the grill cloth and running that sound out through the PA.

Brand names mean little in terms of construction. In fact, Marshall is far from one of the best in that area. Building 4x12 cabinets isn't science; it's just carpentry, and a lot of it is done by machine. Fancy corner building doesn't mean much, either. Those videos of a pickup truck running over the finger joined, braced corner using exotic glue? Notice that the rest of the cabinet would have been toothpicks by the end of that. Almost every 4x12 is 30 x 30 x 14, give or take, with a chunk of wood brace running from the center of the baffle to the middle of the back panel. The speakers inside determine the "tone" of the cabinet.

A few builders make cabinets for a number of manufacturers, with a couple of cosmetic differences and the logos all that distinguish them one from the other. And yet we'll see one being sold for $400, the same cabinet with the same speakers going out for $900 from a "higher end" name brand.

Ya pays your money, ya makes yer cherce.

maybe its just the crappy carvin g12's in your cabs that make you hate 4x12's

I'll take it if you'll pay me the $250 to haul it off, but those cabs are pretty bad to say the least
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate