So I was playing my guitar today and my amps volume is maxing out at tv volume, its volume curve is normall till about 1.2 then it levels off and it doesn't go much higher. My amp is a Ampeg v50h and I had a set of groove tubes that came with the amp back in I think aprill of 2011. So GG&A do I need new tubesand if so which do you recommend?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Any other issues happening too? Like lack off bass, no "balls". Crackling sound. When my power tubes have gone bad, they've had all the above, doesn't mean they're the only symptoms though...as for replacements I love Groove tubes, otherwise JJs are really good too
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
^ All of that, plus personally power tubes dying on me have always had the symptoms of volume fluctuations. Sometimes it'll be quiet like you describe, then randomly jump to normal volume and back down.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm thinking its the electricity here too, there have been times when its deafining at zero. (the amp technically doesnt have a zero.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Sounds like power tubes, just like offworld said volume can really jump around if they're bad. I should mention you need to replace them with a matched set. Meaning you need to buy the power tubes in a "matched" set of 2 or 4.
GEAR:
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt
EVH Wah Pedal
EVH Wolfgang Special in vintage white
Chapman Ghost Fret Satin blue w/Nazgul and Sentient p.u.
PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone w/emg 81,85
Blueridge BR-183A acoustic
yes. how old are they?

a significant volume drop is a huge factor. its also BAD to keep using the amp at this point. shut it down, refrian from using it until you have properly functioning tubes.

what amp is it? its always best practice to replace all the power tubes, get a matched set. if they sound good to you with no issues, try to buy the same brand and model and you can probably get away without a re-bias.

but its like changing a light bulb. it burns out. simple maintenance. if you own a tube amp, i think any guitarist can afford 30-60 or so bucks every year or so. sometimes you can easily span years.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The tubes are at least 3 year's old.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Groove Tube can mean anything, they rebrand all sorts of tubes. These days I'd say JJ are the go. If you want to know what was actually in it read me off the entire code on the tube.
Don't know how they are biased and I can't find a schematic. Find me a schematic and I'll tell you what it needs in that regard.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The only code I see is gt-e34ls I might see something tommorrow if I pop it open.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Those are JJ EL34L tubes. Good tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry about the necrobump but I have an update and cathbard was right about the powertubes and now this thing roars. The amp had the orriginal powertubes in it so after 20 years I think it needed a change I got it done by a local shop for 40 bucks.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player