Well, I got an American Stratocaster which I don't play right now, and I've tried to sell it before but couldn't close a deal.

It's a 1992 American Stratocaster from the Floyd Rose Classic Series (the name is signed on the headstock). It came with an original (rather than licensed) FR and an HSS configuration with a DiMarzio Puff-Pro and two fender singles, and it's in a very good condition. It's painted black. The series lasted from 1992-2007 and is now discontinued.

It sounds very good, but for me the FR was rather more cumbersome than necessary. While leaving an extra guitar with a FR for the casual effects and playing tricks in a record could be beneficial, I don't use it as the main guitar and it's somewhat money currently going to waste (I got it as a present for one of my birthdays).

How much would you say such a guitar would be worth? Perhaps I'd be better with keeping it as it might raise in value?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by TLGuitar at Apr 14, 2014,
Well, there's one listed on eBay for $1300 US. No one has bid on it yet, though.
Hard to say, it's really only worth what someone will pay for it. That's a cop out answer, but it's true. There is an absence, at least in my town, of good brick and mortar shops to check this at. If there's a reputable guitar shop in town that's been there for awhile, maybe go ask them.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Probably $800 top dollar. Someone will want it for shredding.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Probably $800 top dollar. Someone will want it for shredding.

And that would make it cheaper? Cause that's much less than the average Standard. Let alone with a custom installation of a FR. I know that it's neither "vintage" nor brand new, but it's in pretty much top condition and while I don't know how much of a "collectable" it could count, it's still from the first batch of a discontinued series.
A used guitar is a used guitar unless it was owned by Hendrix or someone. The last true collectible rolled off the assy line in 1969 with very few exceptions. I bought my STD USA Strat for $450 in v good condition. I bought my nearly new Std USA Tele for $600.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

About your first comment - That's overstretched. Many people would probably put some extra dollar for a good condition 70's guitar, even if it doesn't have Hendrix's bite-marks on it. And about your deal - well, first you might have gotten a good price, but again - it's not exactly the same as you bought the standard versions. It's not a Clapton or something, but it's still a FR (more money) from a discontinued series.
It would probably go on Craigslist for $750 to the right person, $600 to everyone else.

Source: I know more current Strats on Craigslist than US Senators
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
The floyd is also a tricky bit. Strat purists will usually want the vintage fender trem on there and, correct me if I'm wrong, "shredders" will be after more of a superstrat. Craigslist would be a good way to try and see what people will pay for it. Put it there for more than you think it's worth (there's got to be a number in your head) and see what people offer for it.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by TLGuitar
About your first comment - That's overstretched. Many people would probably put some extra dollar for a good condition 70's guitar, even if it doesn't have Hendrix's bite-marks on it. And about your deal - well, first you might have gotten a good price, but again - it's not exactly the same as you bought the standard versions. It's not a Clapton or something, but it's still a FR (more money) from a discontinued series.

You can always ask more but it probably won't sell for more. If you want to sell it, price it to sell now. I just sold a pristine 2009 Les Paul Studio Sunburst that sells new for $1300. It was in like-new condition and a very nice guitar but we were not in love. I got $750 on CL and I think it was a fair deal. A guitar usually loses 30% in value the day you take it home from the store.

I would never pay a premium for a 70s Gibson or Fender because most of them were schite quality. A recent vintage MIM Strat is usually nicer than a 70s Strat. I have a 79 MIJ Lawsuit 335 that plays great but is only worth about $400. No market demand.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
It would probably go on Craigslist for $750 to the right person, $600 to everyone else.

Source: I know more current Strats on Craigslist than US Senators

I didn't know US Senators had knowledge about Strats from Craigslist. The more you know.

Quote by JustRooster
The floyd is also a tricky bit. Strat purists will usually want the vintage fender trem on there and, correct me if I'm wrong, "shredders" will be after more of a superstrat. Craigslist would be a good way to try and see what people will pay for it. Put it there for more than you think it's worth (there's got to be a number in your head) and see what people offer for it.

Well, it does have the DiMarzio on the bridge. You can produce enough of a tone from it.

Anyway, I was basically offered more than what has been said here but it didn't go through in the end.
What Fumble said, as well. That could go either way, though. You may walk away a winner of a $950 bidding war, or begrudgingly have to ship it after someone knabbed it for $400.
OK, here's the deal. As I'm not a USA resident, I probably won't sell it through eBay or Craigslist. About my previous attempt at selling it - if I remember correctly, some guy wanted to buy it for 3,300 NIS which would currently exchange for about 950$. The prices here are also higher, but still. I think you underestimate your suggestions or don't know what guitar I'm talking about.
Markets vary a lot based on location so always a good idea to include that information in your OP. In SoCal a FR HSS Strat is very common and often sells for $500-$600. It may be very different where you live.

American made guitars seem to go for higher prices outside of America.US guitars are like the holy grail to me being British.You can't get an American strat here even second hand for less than around £700($1170.70USD) minimum.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Apr 15, 2014,
Reverb.com is also a good site to try to sell it. You might also inquire of Elderly Instruments or Guitars & Effects.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TLGuitar
OK, here's the deal. As I'm not a USA resident, I probably won't sell it through eBay or Craigslist. About my previous attempt at selling it - if I remember correctly, some guy wanted to buy it for 3,300 NIS which would currently exchange for about 950$. The prices here are also higher, but still. I think you underestimate your suggestions or don't know what guitar I'm talking about.

dude we know the guitar it's just that non traditional strats just don't command as much money plain and simple. in a foreign market they may go for more but not in the US. $950 seems pretty good to me.
Quote by monwobobbo
dude we know the guitar it's just that non traditional strats just don't command as much money plain and simple. in a foreign market they may go for more but not in the US. $950 seems pretty good to me.

Well, some acquaintance of my brother, who's an aspiring luthier if I remeber correctly, has looked at some photos of the guitar and suggested asking 5,000NIS for it (it's over 1,400USD). That did seem overpriced, even though he probably meant to leave some negotiable area. I planned to probably get something like 4,000NIS for it (around 1,100USD). The thing is that most people who replied wanted to trade. I currently use a Les Paul Studio instead - strictly speaking, the Strat probably sounds better (but that's subjective), just that it's a real hassle with the FR. It probably also adds unnecessary ringing to it due to its mechanism. So back then I didn't look for a trade (and sometimes it's hard to say what trade would really be worthy), but I may consider one at the moment. I just need to get it set-up so I could upload some demonstration playing it. People are probably less reluctant on checking a guitar they've heard being played (just that I have a seriously lousy amp and I usually play using an interface+Amplitube, so it might seem less "authentic").
Last edited by TLGuitar at Apr 16, 2014,
Here are two sold listings for American Classic Stratocasters HSS with an FR:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-w-factory-Floyd-Rose-/221403797378?pt=Guitar&hash=item338cb1d782
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Fender-Floyd-Rose-Classic-Stratocaster-/191115695247?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c7f62148f

monwobobbo hit the nail on the head. I saw on on Craigslist when I searched that sold for $695, or at least that's what he listed. Looks like you'll get more cash online than local.
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 16, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-w-factory-Floyd-Rose-/221403797378?pt=Guitar&hash=item338cb1d782
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Fender-Floyd-Rose-Classic-Stratocaster-/191115695247?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c7f62148f

monwobobbo hit the nail on the head. I saw on on Craigslist when I searched that sold for $695, or at least that's what he listed. Looks like you'll get more cash online than local.

Actually that's simply the price I told him I was offered.

It even seems like the first was sold missing the back-plate. Just that he says "Floyd Rose Classic" (if he referred to the actual model), but the headstock's missing the adequate writing (which's apparent on my guitar).
Quote by JustRooster

yeah and even then just cuz those 2 sold doesn't mean your will. we all want the best money we can get for our gear but it's a buyers market so sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and deal with it. a trade may be a better deal for you if you can get another guitar (amp etc) you want. also keep in mind that this is a cash deal which is a tougher sell than someone buying on a credit card where they can take a bit to pay it off.
Ok, I have an unrelated question. The idiot who was the owner of that guitar before me has probably messed with it on one of his setups and the knobs are in the wrong order. How do you take them apart in order to reposition them? I assume they don't just come off (at least I didn't try to break them off).
Quote by TLGuitar
Well, I got an American Stratocaster which I don't play right now, and I've tried to sell it before but couldn't close a deal.

It's a 1992 American Stratocaster from the Floyd Rose Classic Series (the name is signed on the headstock). It came with an original (rather than licensed) FR and an HSS configuration with a DiMarzio Puff-Pro and two fender singles, and it's in a very good condition. It's painted black. The series lasted from 1992-2007 and is now discontinued.

It sounds very good, but for me the FR was rather more cumbersome than necessary. While leaving an extra guitar with a FR for the casual effects and playing tricks in a record could be beneficial, I don't use it as the main guitar and it's somewhat money currently going to waste (I got it as a present for one of my birthdays).

How much would you say such a guitar would be worth? Perhaps I'd be better with keeping it as it might raise in value?

Thanks in advance.

The Floyd Rose is a major issue. People looking for a real Strat would not typically want that bridge. In my case, I would never even consider buying it at anything but throw away prices since I'd have to replace the bridge.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'd knock off at least $200 from the price of a regular strat from that era to account for the terrible bridge.

I don't think you have any hope of it going up in value. In fact, I think you'll have trouble selling it even at a very low price.
Thats a bit harsh reverb66... Id suggest throw the studio into the deal and swap the pair for a near new LP Standard or Traditional or something. Thats what Id be doing. Sometimes selling is just too much of a **** around.
Quote by reverb66
The Floyd Rose is a major issue. People looking for a real Strat would not typically want that bridge. In my case, I would never even consider buying it at anything but throw away prices since I'd have to replace the bridge.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'd knock off at least $200 from the price of a regular strat from that era to account for the terrible bridge.

I don't think you have any hope of it going up in value. In fact, I think you'll have trouble selling it even at a very low price.

Nope. People looking for a standard, non-floating bridge would rather not want it. People who do would pay what that extra feature would be worth.

And again, I already mentioned that I was offered a higher deal than what everyone here said but it didn't go through in the end (I probably lowered it more than I wanted).

Quote by dazza027
Thats a bit harsh reverb66... Id suggest throw the studio into the deal and swap the pair for a near new LP Standard or Traditional or something. Thats what Id be doing. Sometimes selling is just too much of a **** around.

I'm not sure I would find someone who would exactly search for these two and have an LP Standard in return. But anyway, how much more does the Standard worth for that amount of money? I know it has better cosmetics, but considering sound - how much of a difference does it make?
I couldn't honestly say because the only Gibsons i own are both studios. My line of thinking is its better to have one really nice one that I like than having two that I like less... As for people actually searching for that kind of deal, maybe they aren't, but by not putting feelers out ie advertising on Gumtree, classified pages on websites like this or on Facebook musical instrument sale pages in your area then you will never know. There's no harm in asking, and looking even, because you can always say no I don't want to trade for that item, but not asking really limits your possibilities.
there is a very well established "unwritten rule" about selling and buying guitars (new or used). what ever you have is totally worthless and whatever you want to purchase it made from a mixture of pure unobtanium and gold. So just keep that in mind when trying to sell anything.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Is it hsh then? Most strat purest want a 6 bolt nitro sss. But I can see a decent market for a hsh with a FR
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
Is it hsh then? Most strat purest want a 6 bolt nitro sss. But I can see a decent market for a hsh with a FR

HSS, I wrote it in the main post.