Question --

I have always wondered what settings/amp/effects/guitar best reproduces how the Eagles' electric guitars always sounded -- super clean, and for lack of a better word, "squeaky" clean.

Examples: Hotel California, One of These Nights.

I have looked but never found a good answer online; I did see a recent interview where Felder said he would not give up just how they did that.

I've never heard another band that recorded music that sounded like that.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

William R. Smith
The old school Eagles guitar sound was pure Fender Blackface. I think Felder played through a Deluxe Reverb and Joe Walsh used a Twin. Since then Walsh has been through a dozen amps in search of the golden fleece of tone. I think his latest is Dr Z. We have covered a lot of Eagles music and any Fender Blackface will get you in the game if your fingers know what to do.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
They've only had a couple of record producers -- I'm pretty sure if you check with one of the recording engineer forums that information is available. I can remember Glyn Johns recording their first few albums in England and Bill Scymczyk took over after that.

I haven't paid attention to who's been doing things recently, but I assume you're referring to the guitars from the heyday.
If you're talking lead tones, I wouldn't really call any of the tones you mentioned "super clean". They are fairly low gain overdrive sounds produced by turning the volume up extremely high on an otherwise very clean sounding tube amp. I think the thing that's clean about them is the technique - Felder/Walsh are both very good guitarists with very clean and precise technique that is reflected in how clean their overdriven tones seem to sound.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they damaged a load of speakers recording one of these nights, which would lead me to believe they did something silly like disconnect one of the speakers from a twin reverb and then turn up the amp to a point where the output exceeds the single speaker's power handling causing speaker distortion. It definitely sounds like speaker distortion to me, and it's definitely not a setup I'd recommend to anyone who has a limited supply of money.

I think a clean fender tube amp with a Tubescreamer in front of it will get you close enough to producing those tones at reasonable volumes though. As for guitars - they were always using the obvious Gibson and Fender guitars.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp