So, last night I witnessed the glory that is NWOBHM legends Satan live.

If you're curious, it was a fantastic show, as I knew it would be. For a band that's been only sporadically active in the past 30 years or so, Satan are pretty ridiculously tight - though, with Brian Ross being in Blitzkrieg, Steve Ramsey and Graeme English being in Skyclad, and Sean Taylor and Russ Tippins kicking around in a few other bands, it's not like they haven't kept their chops up. These guys show up and rip.

But, while I probably would have gone to this show regardless of who they played with, the thing that sold this show to me as an absolute must-see was not the metal titans themselves, but who was picked to open the show - a quartet of old-school revivalists from Portland, ME called Hessian.

You see, I had seen Hessian twice prior to this show. Both times they killed it, and they certainly didn't disappoint last night either. I knew that seeing Satan would be incredible, but there are few local acts in the New England area who are as fun to watch as Hessian and the prospect of the two of them together on one stage was something I just couldn't ignore. (If you're curious, the other two bands that night were Natur and Seax - both of whom were good, but the opener and closer were the best acts of the night.)

Soundwise, the thread title should tell you what you need to know. Expect to hear shades of Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Thin Lizzy. Oh, and Black Sabbath too. If for some reason you doubt my recommendation, know that they were by Fenriz to be one of his Bands of the Week last year.

Facebook
Bandcamp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYJ-psVg7Q
Last edited by Scourge441 at Apr 14, 2014,
really cool vocals, didnt expect them to be like that
"Then I saw that there was a way to hell, even from the gates of heaven."
-John Bunyan
Good band, I'm curious to know though where do you see Fenriz's bands of the week?
Nevermind it's on fagbook
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at Apr 15, 2014,
This thread needs more attention. The production values are godlike and this drum tone is to be worshiped. I cannot get enough of Old, Wild and Free!

This type of Metal requires a certain finesse nowadays to avoid sounding like an old man with lead in his boots. There has to be that energy infused in the riffs. In a world of blast beats and hyper tremolo picking, only the Heavy Metal Riff is Real!

Check it out, posers.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
This thread needs more attention. The production values are godlike and this drum tone is to be worshiped. I cannot get enough of Old, Wild and Free!

This type of Metal requires a certain finesse nowadays to avoid sounding like an old man with lead in his boots. There has to be that energy infused in the riffs. In a world of blast beats and hyper tremolo picking, only the Heavy Metal Riff is Real!

Check it out, posers.

So....like you?

Hessian are just rockin', old school metal the way it's meant to be played. I wish I could have made that show! Natur are fukking awesome too.
Cloven Lady sounds exactly like her cooch is a hoof.

EDIT: This is actually really good and I feel bad about just posting an awful joke. I really like the mix of genders on the vocals and those riffs are instant enjoyment. The intro solo to Cloven Lady was simple and a perfect throwback to early heavy metal.

EDITEDIT: I think the most obvious comparison to make are the Kevin Heybourne sounding backing vocals.
Last edited by severed-metal at Apr 28, 2014,
sounds fun, although I liked the intro guitar/solo parts more than the vocal parts..but yeah I can see how kickass this might be Live...
That energy in Cloven Lady is exhilarating. This is how you do heavy metal that is fun. I thought I had listened to this band earlier without caring too much for them, but now I will have to investigate further.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.