Guitar :
Schecter Hellraiser C1
Effect :
Digitech RP1000
Wampler Plextortion
Digitech Hardwire Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
and 1 practice amp so I can plug my setup in the "return"

I play a wide range stuff, from nightwish, stratovarius, cranberries to gun n rose and sometimes pop ballad, and i'm basically satify with it, especially the Mid-gain tone.

But for the high gain tone, I don't like the tone of RP1000 very much. So i'm thinking about try to sell the RP1000 and buy the POD HD500, but recently i've seen some good stuff from the AMT Legend Series, Specifically the R2.

All I care about when going for the POD is just the Mesa Tone, Rhythm and Lead

So, Should I try to sell the RP1000 and buy the POD HD500, or order the AMT R2 and use it in the amp loop of RP1000, which way will work better ?

Looking for any advices ( and sorry for my bad English )

PS :
There isn't any Guitar Center in the place where i'm living, so i can't test them or use the return policy.
I'm focus on the live sound, so the fact that the POD is better for recording than the RP1000 doesn't mean very much to me
Last edited by admiration at Apr 14, 2014,
First of all you should be putting your distortions and wah into the input of the amp and time based effects like chorus and delay you may be using from the RP1000 in the FX loop (or if you are doing delay and distoriton in the RP you could do the 4 cable method, which the RP has directions on the jacks to tell you how to do). Just saying, it just may be a matter of how you have your rig set up vs bad gear.

To actually answer your question, it would be nice to know exactly what amp you are using. All in all, if all you are concerned about it distortion it would be easiest to get a good overdrive pedal in front of your amp to really boost the signal going into the amp.

However, for versatility the POD is definitely the best thing you can buy besides an Axe FX or a Kemper Profiling amp. Plugging one into your FX return will not disappoint in the distortion of effects department. You may not even need any more pedals. The only caveat is there is a learning curve to it. Getting the POD HD500 Edit software really helps. I can't even imagine building patches in the POD itself. It's very finicky too, you really have to spend the time building a patch and getting it perfect.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
My amp is just a small fender amp and I just use the Return ( which means I will bypass the amp's preamp so i think mention the amp doesn't mean much )
This is how I setup :
Guitar -> Wah -> RP1000 -> Return of the Amp ( bypass the amp's preamp )
The Wampler and Chorus in RP1000's FX Loop
To be more specific, this is exactly my question :
What's gonna give better Mesa Solo and Rhythm Tone
- The Preset Mesa in the POD HD500 ( don't remember what it is called exactly )
- The RP1000 with a single Preamp Pedal ( The AMT-R2 ) in the Amp loop
Looking for more advices
Last edited by admiration at Apr 14, 2014,
Quote by admiration
My amp is just a small fender amp and I just use the Return ( which means I will bypass the amp's preamp so i think mention the amp doesn't mean much )
This is how I setup :
Guitar -> Wah -> RP1000 -> Return of the Amp ( bypass the amp's preamp )
The Wampler and Chorus in RP1000's FX Loop
To be more specific, this is exactly my question :
What's gonna give better Mesa Solo and Rhythm Tone
- The Preset Mesa in the POD HD500 ( don't remember what it is called exactly )
- The RP1000 with a single Preamp Pedal ( The AMT-R2 ) in the Amp loop
Looking for more advices

you will more likely get a much better sound running everything up front. Turn the amp sims off. They are garbage compared to actual amps. Use the od/distortion on the pedals to hit the front of the amp and use the loop for time based stuff.

I recommend to sell the rp1000 immediately and your amp and get a gainy amp and boost it with the plextortion. If you want to record get a microphone.
Last edited by cheesefries at Apr 14, 2014,
I think you should get a better amp first. The POD is only going to sound as good as what it's going into. How you should probably run you rig is:

Guitar>RP1000 using4 cable method then the Wampler should be in between the RP and the input and the chorus should be between the RP and the FX return.

So:

Guitar>RP Input

RP FX Send>Wah>Wampler>Amp input

RP Output>Chorus>Amp FX Return

RP FX Return> Amp FX Send

This will probably help a lot. It puts all the effects where they should be. But obviously is a lot of cable to run.

Again to answer your actual question, the POD's amp modelling kicks the shit out of any other MFX board. The Rec model (aka "Treadplate") is alright. But for those sounds I actually like the Soldano Lead model a whole lot better. Aain, this is after a lot of EQing and spending hours building one patch.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I think you should get a better amp first. The POD is only going to sound as good as what it's going into. How you should probably run you rig is:

+3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thank you for your advices guy. I do realize the the Tube amp is always better than the modeling.
But I prefer modeling unit for versatile, easy to gig and moreover i can't afford a decent amp.
So i hope you guys can give me advices about chosing the modeling unit and please don't suggest me buy a new amps, I do know that it's the best way, I'm saving money for it, but not for this moment guys
If that's what you really want, get the POD. The modelling is awesome and it's the closest you're getting to actual tube sounds without a tube amp or an Axe FX. Don't even bother with other pedals using it, though. You won't need them.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have the POD X3 Live, the model released before the HD series. I like it and the learning curve was not difficult at all. It has way more amp models built in than the HD, but I honestly only use a few of them. I'm thinking about upgrading to the HD, I think it only has something like 16 amp models, but they were modeled to near perfection. If you are thinking about getting a POD, you should definitely get one.
I bought both a PODHD500X and one of the good Marshall tube-amps around the same time.

Guess which one I kinda regret? (It's not the POD...)

The versatility and actual sound quality of the thing is amazing, especially if you get into deep editing. You can do way too much with that thing. Do make sure to get the 500X model, and not the 500. You'll be needing the extra bit of processing power.

And the Treadplate model is indeed quite nice. Just have to learn the behavings of the amp model. But it's actually fun to do so.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Quote by TheStig1214

Pretty much this.

I'd go for the POD, but as others have said it does have a learning curve, and as a beginner that can be rather intimidating.

Quote by KoRnOnA6String

Do make sure to get the 500X model, and not the 500. You'll be needing the extra bit of processing power.

I disagree with this quite significantly. I bought a HD500 a couple months ago instead of the HD500X. The earlier model still has quite a significant amount of processing power, and definitely more than enough for a beginner to not surpass it. I know in Australia (where I'm from) you pay an extra 200-300 for a model which is essentially exactly the same, except with ONLY 20% more DSP.
I guess the real question is how important is DSP and money to you. For me, 200-300 dollars was way way too much to justify 20% more DSP.
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 15, 2014,
Is the Amp Stimulation in the POD that good guys ?
I mean, It's better than the preamp in the RP1000, I can understand, but better than some high quality preamp single pedal like AMT R2 ????
Quote by admiration
Is the Amp Stimulation in the POD that good guys ?
I mean, It's better than the preamp in the RP1000, I can understand, but better than some high quality preamp single pedal like AMT R2 ????

A distortion tone should NEVER be coming out of a pedal. It should be coming from your preamp and boosted or fattened up by a clean boost or slightly dirty boost like a Tube Screamer. The POD is modelling amps so the distortion tone is (kinda) coming from a preamp.

If a good distortion tone could come out a pedal alone, amps would be way cheaper than they are or obsolete.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
A distortion tone should NEVER be coming out of a pedal. It should be coming from your preamp and boosted or fattened up by a clean boost or slightly dirty boost like a Tube Screamer. The POD is modelling amps so the distortion tone is (kinda) coming from a preamp.

If a good distortion tone could come out a pedal alone, amps would be way cheaper than they are or obsolete.

Thanks for your opions man. Just another question : The AMT R-2 is not a distortion pedal, it's a preamp pedal, so should it function like the modelling preamp in the POD ?

Anyway thank you for spending time explain that to me
Quote by admiration
Thanks for your opions man. Just another question : The AMT R-2 is not a distortion pedal, it's a preamp pedal, so should it function like the modelling preamp in the POD ?

Anyway thank you for spending time explain that to me

No matter what the label it or how many knobs it has it's still a distortion pedal. Thoe modelling preamps of the POD are just that, signal modifiers in the board designed to sound like the amps they say. They analyze the output signal of each amp and replicate it in the board. The R02 isn't a specific amp as far as I can tell, but is supposed to sound similar to a Triple Rec.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
For high gain I would strongly recommend a mxr fullbore metal pedal. I have one and it's amazing for high gain! Plus it's got a built in noise gate. It can capture any metal tone I'm looking for and it's a huge bang for your buck kinda deal. Hope you take my advice and enjoy.