Poll: does the potential of obsolete digital gear bother you?
Poll Options
View poll results: does the potential of obsolete digital gear bother you?
yes it bothers me
1 14%
no it doesn't bother me
6 86%
Voters: 7.
thread's title got messed up from phone. it is

pyscholgical aspect of MFX

i owned a MFX unit Korg Toneworks 1500G. i loved it then, but a few years later i sold it for $100 or something. then my mom's coworker heard i was going to a bar i was playing at, she said she had some stuff that she didn't need that was her daughters's. free squier bass, free MG15CD ( ) seven or eight decent cables and THE SAME (not the one just the same model) was given too.

the amp mods aren't great, but the mod effects, delays and ring vibe and phase trainer is usedful. i paid $160 for mine used back in 2003.

obviously technology changed.

a friend got a pod XT floor model, he hated it, and it was much better with the amp sims, but there was more modulation, but they evened out.

then X3

then HD

then HD500X

etc. etc. etc.

REAL MESSAGE STARTS HERE

does it bother you that as MFX develops pretty quickly that it will be obsolete in a few years when a new model comes out?

i hate the idea of everything going obsolete and theoretically if i were to wrap $500 into one i would rather get one or two or three boutique pedals that will not decay in value as much , and would be around really forever.

what do you all think? i also purposely left out the axe and kemper as that is a different level really.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 14, 2014,
I think the digital MFX stuff is designed to have the Apple effect of being worthless to anyone but the user after a few years. Just something you have to take into account when buying it. I personally love the versatility of my POD and my GT before it. It's just easy to hit a button and everything changes.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have several different devices with digital effects, and find that the onward march of technology produces as many sidesteps & retrogrades as advancements. For example, I prefer some of the models on my Korg Px4 to their equivalents on my Korg Px5.

So I keep it all, and use "as needed."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have several different devices with digital effects, and find that the inward march of technology produces as many sidesteps & retrogrades as advancements. For example, I prefer some of the models on my Korg Px4 to their equivalents on my Korg Px5.

So I keep it all, and use "as needed."

I blew my Korg out with a 160psi compressor to clean dust out, and saran wrapped it so it was at least clean.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm afraid I don't follow...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't think it matters as long as it sounds good.

And we're there already. Yes more realistic models will exist in the next few years.

But TCs modeling and Line 6s M class modeling and other stuff as well is already at a level where no one hearing it in a recording or even on stage will ever even have the thought "is that real?...".

The only thing left to go is distortion modeling.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by trashedlostfdup

does it bother you that as MFX develops pretty quickly that it will be obsolete in a few years when a new model comes out?

yeah, it's a similar thing with modelling.

that's one of the advantages of most guitar stuff (and pretty handy when you try to rationalise new purchases )- the fact that, if looked after, it should last more or less as long as you do, and that it won't go out of date. You can't say either of those things about most other consumer products. But yeah, with the modelling thing and multi-fx that's not necessarily the case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bro do you even Quardaverb 2?

For serious, I still have to hear something as good as that for the money.
And in general, lexicon's digital stuff isn't really getting updated nor replaced.

The main reason why that happens if ya ask me is that with guitar stuff they try to make something cheap and/or innovative instead of something that sounds good, and each time they update the thing they manage to make it a bit better sounding while still being relatively cheap and innovative.

That doesn't really bother me because I'm not really into guitar digital processors.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Bro do you even Quardaverb 2?

Jesus, how many posts do you start with this exact sentence?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
But the last part changes everytime!
Plus it perfectly gives away what I'm thinking, so why not using it?

I also took my time and explained some reasons afterward so stop bitchin'
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
But the last part changes everytime!
Plus it perfectly gives away what I'm thinking, so why not using it?

I also took my time and explained some reasons afterward so stop bitchin'

I'm just messing with you... U mad bro?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
^ aww come ooooooon
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I see gear as a means to an end. That being said I tend to dislike modelers because its easier and more cost efficient just to replace a pedal or two then to drop 500+ on the latest piece of gear.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.