Hey guys, my band is in the middle of a tour and we've had mostly really positive feedback from both patrons and the press. The only nagging common piece of criticism is of our opening song. We open with a fast, hard, loud abrasive noise rock tune that gets maybe half the crowd really pumped, and alienates the other half. Throughout the rest of the set we switch between our two or three 'modes' of songs if you will, and most people are enjoying it. The song is in a similar vain to three or four of our other songs that people have complimented us on so it does baffle me a little bit. However the the problem remains, opening song does seem to divide people, any thoughts?
Don't open with that song
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Well what's more important, your happiness or your fans? I'll give you a hint, your happiness won't pay the bills.
Just move the song to the middle of the set once people get into it.
Yeah your exactly right there mate haha. What sort of song do you guys open with then? I'm guessing usually something 4/4. Not like a head bobbing/body swayin' 12/8 or anything right?
I open with 17/9. Really gets the crowd pumped
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
22/13, but it's slow and quiet so the set really builds from there. we usually do open with something accessible and quieter though and then build to a release and crowds seem to really like that effect.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Last edited by jiminizzle at Apr 15, 2014,
Maybe you could start off with a mid paced or slower song to build up atmosphere then burst into the fast song second.
Drop all of your songs right now and just improv all of your shows. That will test and show off your true musicianship. My favourite bands are all about that, the songs might barely brush the original song structure, but 99% of the notes are different every time. You have to be able to feel the crowd and judge what they want to hear, and then go off that and play with the crowd rather than at them.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Drop all of your songs right now and just improv all of your shows. That will test and show off your true musicianship. My favourite bands are all about that, the songs might barely brush the original song structure, but 99% of the notes are different every time. You have to be able to feel the crowd and judge what they want to hear, and then go off that and play with the crowd rather than at them.

If the band has trouble adjusting to what they should play as an opener because of poor crowd reception I really doubt they'll be able to improvise that well on all of their songs.
Quote by That Old Geezer
If the band has trouble adjusting to what they should play as an opener because of poor crowd reception I really doubt they'll be able to improvise that well on all of their songs.

I think all bands should just jam. We dont need to hear your songs over and over again. Lets hear your rhythm guitarist jam out some chords, the drummer jam in, and then some solos and go in a circle switch off and have fun. You cant hit any wrong notes if you didnt hear them and feel them out honestly.
Peppers that only works if you know you are playing to people who have listened to all your songs over and over.

Quote by That Old Geezer
I prefer to open with 4/5 to really throw off the crowd, but that's just me.

This will always be amusing to me.
Last edited by Malchius at Apr 15, 2014,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I think all bands should just jam. We dont need to hear your songs over and over again. Lets hear your rhythm guitarist jam out some chords, the drummer jam in, and then some solos and go in a circle switch off and have fun. You cant hit any wrong notes if you didnt hear them and feel them out honestly.

All bands should jam, and I agree wholeheartedly with that idea. Jamming is a great way to excel in your instrument and come up with new songs you would have never thought to write, but jamming onstage with a very loose structure requires good players, and doing it for an entire show can get boring pretty quickly.
Also, are bassists not allowed to jam and lay down grooves?
Quote by That Old Geezer
All bands should jam, and I agree wholeheartedly with that idea. Jamming is a great way to excel in your instrument and come up with new songs you would have never thought to write, but jamming onstage with a very loose structure requires good players, and doing it for an entire show can get boring pretty quickly.
Also, are bassists not allowed to jam and lay down grooves?

Bassists are the only constant in jams. And that constant is being awesome.
Open with a slow song that builds up loud and fast and epic.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Open with a slow song that builds up loud and fast and epic.

Yes. Open with Stairway To Heaven.
Oepn up with a 20 minute drone epic, then make your second song be the fastest one

It's sure to get the crowd totally pumped!
I have nothing important to say
Open with something totally insane and shocking that makes old people walk away in disgust. But switch it up once in a while to avoid boredom. Sometimes a slower song can be an anticlimatic and cool opener.