Hello everyone!

I'm a beginner player....just started lessons and am acquiring the gear I want.

My main desire is to ultimately be able to play some of the classic rock and 90's metal that I listen too.

I think I have my basis covered on the electric side of things with new amp & guitar. What I'm looking for is a nice acoustic guitar to enjoy along the way, too.

The store that I ordered my electric from (Gibson SG Special) has a number of really nice acoustics in stock.

I've been in there a couple times and I keep grabbing the same Breedlove Dreadnought Cutaway. I believe it's one from the Discovery series. I know it's no high dollar Martin or Taylor, but it is certainly a nice instrument at the budget I can afford right now....$400.

The only Martin or Taylor guitars in stock in this price range are the "baby" models.

In that price range I've not found anything that feels and sounds as good in other stores.

Am I making a mistake going with this one???

What else in the $400 range would you advise?

My son, (also a beginner) fell in love with another acoustic, Fender CD-60CE, in the store the other day. He really liked the feel, sound and look (it's a Fender----cutaway-----and black......his teenage criteria ). We'll be getting this one for him when we go back for our next lesson. I didn't really care for it....but he was jazzed up about it, which is all that matters to me. Our teacher agreed that any number of gear options would do....just go with what he's enthused about for starter gear.

Time is an issue as I'm still waiting on my SG to arrive and unsure on the delivery date....should be this week, but who knows. i need a guitar so I can practice what I'm learning in my lessons. (My son is tired of me borrowing his guitars).

I want to get this resolved today.....this morning.....so I can be strumming by noon. I've got a couple days of vacation this week and want to make the best of it.

Sorry for the longwinded post....just wanted to get my rationale out there.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 15, 2014,
are you talking about this guitar?
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BREDISCED

if you like it, that's all that counts. you say you keep going back to it, and that's a good sign. it wouldn't be the guitar that i'd choose, but every player has different needs - it sounds like it's right for you.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
are you talking about this guitar?
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BREDISCED

if you like it, that's all that counts. you say you keep going back to it, and that's a good sign. it wouldn't be the guitar that i'd choose, but every player has different needs - it sounds like it's right for you.

Yup....that was the one ^^^

They had sold their dreadnought cutaway models and that is the size/shape I'd like to get. I did play with a couple Martin models in that config....and a pair of Taylors and a few Alvarez models at another shop.

It's probably a good thing that it was sold. I'm rethinking things and maybe going to wait a bit longer and up my ante for a higher grade guitar.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Last edited by DubfromGA at Apr 15, 2014,
you have the rest of your life to find one... don't rush into it and get the one you'll not be happy with in a few months just because your in a rush to have one now. if you want a good "keeper" guitar, spend a little extra coin and get an all-solid guitar. the laminated back and sided ones will really grate on you after a short time. if your local shops have yamahas in stock, try out a few of the 700 series guitars. excellent quality for the money, you'll have a guitar that you can be happy with for a few years until you decide your sticking with it and want to upgrade to a taylor or something(BTW, my taylors don't work as well for classic rock stuff...that i leave to my Ovations...after all, they were born for that genre of music)
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Good advice, StepchildUSMC. No rushing on this one.

Agreed on the Ovation thing. Their electronics are impressive. I think the overall Ovation design was inspired by findings at the Roswell crash site.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
Quote by DubfromGA
Good advice, StepchildUSMC. No rushing on this one.

Agreed on the Ovation thing. Their electronics are impressive. I think the overall Ovation design was inspired by findings at the Roswell crash site.

where exactly did you hear this??? we'll be over to confiscate your computer, any correspondence and the strawberry oreos hidden under the sink....
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)